• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Craig

World Traveller
Lots of money.
If they do sell, it won't happen in January. For their midfield, and whilst he is an attacking playmaker type, I would love to see City or another English club buy Napoli midfielder Marek Hamsik, that guy is gun.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If they do sell, it won't happen in January. For their midfield, and whilst he is an attacking playmaker type, I would love to see City or another English club buy Napoli midfielder Marek Hamsik, that guy is gun.
Arsenal are linked with him every transfer window it seems. Which means it will never ever happen.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Might not be true, but I heard Owen was United's lowest selling #7 since squad numbers began. Makes sense given he's ex-Liverpool and follows Cantona-Beckham-Ronaldo.

Mind you, I can't say I've ever seen anyone walking round town with N'Gog on their back :laugh:
When I was 12, my Dad bought me a Rovers top with (Ashley) Ward on the back. :cool:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Some goon at Tranmere got Clint Hill's name on the back of his shirt once, except for some reason got C. HILL instead. The dot disappeared pretty quickly (obviously a Birkenhead market job) so it just read CHILL

Craig

World Traveller
I once had Jiří Jarošík's (now playing for Russian club FC Krylia Sovetov Samara) name and number put on the back of a Chelsea jersey when I went there in 2005. The guy in the shop gave me an odd look when I made that request.

In other news I see Leo Messi has got FIFA Player of the Year. ANd here is FIFpro's team of the year:

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), John Terry (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd), Patrice Evra (Man Utd), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Xavi (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Last edited:

Pothas

Some goon at Tranmere got Clint Hill's name on the back of his shirt once, except for some reason got C. HILL instead. The dot disappeared pretty quickly (obviously a Birkenhead market job) so it just read CHILL
Remember Henry (sledger of course) used to have a Watford shirt with 'Henry' on the back, used to get many moronic comment about how Henry had never played for Watford.

Pothas

In other news I see Leo Messi has got FIFA Player of the Year. ANd here is FIFpro's team of the year:

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), John Terry (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd), Patrice Evra (Man Utd), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Xavi (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
Ugh Gerrard.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Remember Henry (sledger of course) used to have a Watford shirt with 'Henry' on the back, used to get many moronic comment about how Henry had never played for Watford.
He had a Watford shirt? wtf. Blocking him on fb as we speak, imagine Brumby will be adding him to the ignore list as well.

Pothas

Yeah he had some strange connection to Watford through his dad which I never entierly understood because I always thought he supported Rotherham, I know that his dad wrote an angry letter to Graham Taylor once though.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I once had Jiří Jarošík's (now playing for Russian club FC Krylia Sovetov Samara) name and number put on the back of a Chelsea jersey when I went there in 2005. The guy in the shop gave me an odd look when I made that request.

hmm..if i where to pick a world XI now i'd probably go with:

----------------------------------------------------Bufffon-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zambrotta---------------------Terry------------------K Toure/Vidic/Carvalho-------------------------Chivu

-----------------------------------Essein-----------------Xavi/Pirlo-----------------------------------------------------

Messi----------------------------------------Kaka-------------------------------------------------------------Ronaldo

------------------------------------------------Torres------------------------------------------------------------------------

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ye Toure probably aint worthy but i like him, must have some bias somewhere.

Chivu is the most complete left-back in the game IMO

Zambrotta unlike Alves, Ramos, Maicon. Is equally solid going forward & defending, the rest of them can look at bit iffy at times defending.

Plus overall my selection wasn't following the "team of the year" criteria. Just who i think would make the best World XI right now based on a mixture of career record & current form.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah he had some strange connection to Watford through his dad which I never entierly understood because I always thought he supported Rotherham, I know that his dad wrote an angry letter to Graham Taylor once though.
Haha, those were the days. Basically what happened was, we paid for tickets to go and see Watford vs Sheff Wed in the FA 3rd round one year. But the seats we paid for, turned out not to exist, there weren't enough seats on the row or something...anyway that turned out ok and we got to see Di Canio and Carbone etc...

After the match my Dad wrote a letter to Graham Taylor saying what a farce it was at how this had happened. A few days later we got a letter from his secretary which basically said "Mr Taylor doesn't involve himself with these sorts of matters...". In response to this my Dad went into Lawyer mode and sent them a letter threatening them with some sort of legal action and/or taking the story to the papers. A refund showed up soon after.

My link to Watford is through my Dad's friend being a lifelong fan and living very close to Vicaridge Road.