• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Niall

International Coach
Yeah Hatton is young but the standard he has fought has been dire and he has looked very poor. Obviously the UK deserate for stars the kid is been pushed to early.

That was domination from Usyk,, bookies had Joshua fav for most of the fight as robbery was always possible but after last few rounds even in London they could not even comtemplate it.

Rematch I assume? Usyk won't mind he can win that and I dunno if their is a bigger money fight out their for him.

Joshua v Fury defo not happening though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Usyk confirmed as one of the best pound for pound in the world.

Hard to separate him and Canelo.

Canelo has done more but Usyk became completely undisputed in a very tough division- i have no doubt that the likes of Briedis and Gassiev would beat many top heavyweights. Canelo has beaten some great fighters but has tended to pick and choose his fights stylistically. Canelp probably still takes it but Usyk is a close number 2.

Niall

International Coach
Hear wants a rematch in March, I doubt Usyk will mind that.

If he wins then interesting who is next, Fury if he beats Wilder is the obvious one but would not be shocked if Fury takes another long sabitical if he beats Wilder, him likely losing the Joshua fight must hurt.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hear wants a rematch in March, I doubt Usyk will mind that.

If he wins then interesting who is next, Fury if he beats Wilder is the obvious one but would not be shocked if Fury takes another long sabitical if he beats Wilder, him likely losing the Joshua fight must hurt.
Joshua and Fury may just decide to fight next anyway. It's still a big fight without the belts.

I'm not sure that AJ will take the rematch.

I actually thought that was the best AJ has ever looked. He actually made it a semi- competitive fight in that he won 2-3 rounds in the middle of the fight. That's pretty hard to do against someone who is not only a far superior athlete but also a much better boxer. So kudos to AJ for taking the fight and preparing as well as he could. The only way i can see him winning a rematch is if he resorts to Klitschko-Povetkin levels of jab and grab tactics.

Niall

International Coach
Maybe Joshua could do with shaking it up coaching wise also.

Yeah could be tempted to fight Whyte spark him out and assuming Fury has handled Wilder then you still got a massive fight their although obviously some of the *** appeal is now gone.

Crazy really as Joshua and Fury probably had 2 fights signed and sealed and then the Wilder lawyers changed all that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Usyk
- Heavyweight gold medal in 2012 Olympics
- World series of boxing champ, dominating plenty of good semi-amateurs like Joe Joyce
- Beats Glowacki in Poland, an undefeated champ at the time, for the WBO belt
- Beats Michael Hunter in the States, very close to stopping him, also undefeated at the time
- Beats Mairis Briedis in Latvia to unify the WBO and WBC, what would turn out to be Briedis' first and only loss - Briedis has since gone on to win the subsequent cruiserweight tournament and is quite clearly the best cruiser at the moment. In my opinion this is the best win on Usyk's resume.
- Dominates Murat Gassiev in Russia in a unification to become WBO, WBC, WBA and IBF undisputed champion. Gassiev is one of the hardest punchers in boxing and IMO would KO a lot of heavyweights.
- KOs Tony Bellew, the supposed lineal cruiser champ (although that's bull****, Bellew hardly beat anyone decent at cruiser)....
- Dominates Anthony Joshua, the unified heavyweight champ.

Yes, that is 4 world champions in their own backyards, 3 of whom were undefeated at the time, 2 of whom were unified world champs.

Yeah, honestly that might be better than Canelo's resume. There's some good names on Canelo's but a) the GGG "draw" is bogus, as is the win...and GGG was also past his prime at the time too b) there's plenty of picking and choosing e.g. Kovalev was well past his prime, Amir Khan was a sitting duck etc...
I'm not saying he fought bums or anything but you can't pick a single hole in Usyk's resume. All of the guys were in their primes, all wanting to win, and no tainted meat question marks either.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Usyk
- Heavyweight gold medal in 2012 Olympics
- World series of boxing champ, dominating plenty of good semi-amateurs like Joe Joyce
- Beats Glowacki in Poland, an undefeated champ at the time, for the WBO belt
- Beats Michael Hunter in the States, very close to stopping him, also undefeated at the time
- Beats Mairis Briedis in Latvia to unify the WBO and WBC, what would turn out to be Briedis' first and only loss - Briedis has since gone on to win the subsequent cruiserweight tournament and is quite clearly the best cruiser at the moment. In my opinion this is the best win on Usyk's resume.
- Dominates Murat Gassiev in Russia in a unification to become WBO, WBC, WBA and IBF undisputed champion. Gassiev is one of the hardest punchers in boxing and IMO would KO a lot of heavyweights.
- KOs Tony Bellew, the supposed lineal cruiser champ (although that's bull****, Bellew hardly beat anyone decent at cruiser)....
- Dominates Anthony Joshua, the unified heavyweight champ.

Yes, that is 4 world champions in their own backyards, 3 of whom were undefeated at the time, 2 of whom were unified world champs.

Yeah, honestly that might be better than Canelo's resume. There's some good names on Canelo's but a) the GGG "draw" is bogus, as is the win...and GGG was also past his prime at the time too b) there's plenty of picking and choosing e.g. Kovalev was well past his prime, Amir Khan was a sitting duck etc...
I'm not saying he fought bums or anything but you can't pick a single hole in Usyk's resume. All of the guys were in their primes, all wanting to win, and no tainted meat question marks either.
Yep

Done it on the road against quality

Canelo is a fine fighter but he’s also heavily favoured by the judges due to his money making status

It wouldn’t surprise me if Canelo had escaped with a draw under similar circumstances

Have to give credit to the judges today and particularly after that debacle of a decision in the Hatton fight

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hendrix is 100% correct

That Bellew fight should have sounded alarm bells for Hearn

Usyk is not only incredibly skilled but he’s a bad dude

He’s a fighter that AJ should have ducked

Same with Fury

Also very skilled and psycho but at least he generates a massive payday

Bad combination

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Joshua exposed again, he looked in absolute agony at the end of the fight. Hope his eye is OK. Fair play to him for not ducking the fight, but what is his legacy at this point? Narrowly beating a 40 year old Klitschko who hadn’t fought in 18 months, unimpressive wins against journeymen opponents like Takam, Parker and Pulev, embarrassed by Andy Ruiz and now completely schooled by a class fighter in Usyk. Never fought the 2 big names in his division (and I don’t think he ever will fight Wilder). A real shoulder shrug of a career to date.

Feel for Eddie Hearn, that Fury v Joshua payday must feel like a mirage at this point.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Joshua seems intent on fighting once a year. He only squeezed in two in 2019 because he lost. Him and Fury are the most inactive champions ever.

Niall

International Coach
Lol do you really believe this?
Maybe not that far along, but the fights were very much likely to happen according to journos. While it may not be that big of a fight in the US, these 2 fighting would have been absolutely huge in the UK so would have happened .

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Joshua exposed again, he looked in absolute agony at the end of the fight. Hope his eye is OK. Fair play to him for not ducking the fight, but what is his legacy at this point? Narrowly beating a 40 year old Klitschko who hadn’t fought in 18 months, unimpressive wins against journeymen opponents like Takam, Parker and Pulev, embarrassed by Andy Ruiz and now completely schooled by a class fighter in Usyk. Never fought the 2 big names in his division (and I don’t think he ever will fight Wilder). A real shoulder shrug of a career to date.

Feel for Eddie Hearn, that Fury v Joshua payday must feel like a mirage at this point.
His legacy is being unified heavyweight world champion for a number of years. That is very impressive. He also fought plenty of guys in the top 10 of the division and schoold Andy Ruiz in the rematch.

He's been a good champion.

Usyk is just on another level and is a generational talent who will go down in history as one of the greatest of all time.

Is losing to one of the greatest of all time being exposed? I don't think so.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not that far along, but the fights were very much likely to happen according to journos. While it may not be that big of a fight in the US, these 2 fighting would have been absolutely huge in the UK so would have happened .
The fight is certainly going to happen, heaps of money to be made and is an absolutely massive fight.

But it was never close to being signed this year. The journos say what Eddie and Tyson want you to hear.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
His legacy is being unified heavyweight world champion for a number of years. That is very impressive. He also fought plenty of guys in the top 10 of the division and schoold Andy Ruiz in the rematch.

He's been a good champion.

Usyk is just on another level and is a generational talent who will go down in history as one of the greatest of all time.

Is losing to one of the greatest of all time being exposed? I don't think so.
Nah. Ducked the best opposition in the division for years (despite his oft expressed desire to unify the belts). Didn't even have the guts to give Whyte a rematch - not surprising given he nearly got knocked out in their first fight. Beating a 40 pound overweight Ruiz (who's probably already 20 pounds overweight at the best of times) is nothing to write home about. No doubt his career has been magnificently managed by Hearn to create the illusion of invincibility, but he's not a patch on either his predecessors or his successor/contemporaries. I know you don't like Fury because of the drug-use allegations and generally being a ****head, but he's achieved more while half arsing it over the past 7 years than Joshua ever will.

Joshua should skip the rematch and just go for the payday fight with Fury while he still has some cache (assuming the later retains his belt against Wilder). Make up some excuse about how his involvement with the UK Olympics squad and covid inactivity affected his preparation. No one will want to see him fight Fury after getting embarrassed a second time.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. Ducked the best opposition in the division for years (despite his oft expressed desire to unify the belts). Didn't even have the guts to give Whyte a rematch - not surprising given he nearly got knocked out in their first fight. Beating a 40 pound overweight Ruiz (who's probably already 20 pounds overweight at the best of times) is nothing to write home about. No doubt his career has been magnificently managed by Hearn to create the illusion of invincibility, but he's not a patch on either his predecessors or his successor/contemporaries. I know you don't like Fury because of the drug-use allegations and generally being a ****head, but he's achieved more while half arsing it over the past 7 years than Joshua ever will.
This is ridiculous, AJ's resume is sooooo much better than Fury and Wilder's it's not even funny. "ducking a Whyte rematch" wtf - he destroyed Whyte.

Tyson Fury hasn't "half-arsed it". He knew exactly what he was doing, he is a master manipulator and has only fought who he wanted to fight. "Retire"/"Mental health" issues so that you can a) avoid the rematch with Wlad and b) conveniently escape the PED scandal.

Who has Fury fought? Andy Ruiz, Povetkin, hell even Parker are better than anyone on Fury's resume other than Wlad. They're also better than anyone Wilder has beaten. Fury almost got KOed by a mediocre cruiserweight in Steve Cunningham.

Tyson Fury has never, ever defended his titles.

Let that sink in.

Never defended his titles.

And you're complaining about AJ's resume?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Look the eye test tells me that Tyson Fury is better than AJ too, but we have to actually see it.

AJ has actually fought all his challengers in the top 10. Fury picks the style match ups he thinks he can win.

When has Fury ever fought an athletic mover? when has he ever fought someone with fast feet? The answer is never. The one time he did do it against a mediocre cruiserweight he almost got knocked out, and so he's made sure to never do it again. He's been super careful about picking the style match ups that maximise his advantages.

Styles make fights, and that's why I will always credit the guys who actually make the fights and defend their belts.