• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salamuddin's ten favourite football goals

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, made a few bids in the early days of the Prem. Think we went as high as £5m at one point (this is before Chris Sutton went for that much, and long before we paid £7m for Cole). Southampton never bit, and Le Tis never really showed any interest in engineering a move away.
Well there you go, I never knew that. As well as the usual suspects, I remember Fergie chasing David Hirst circa '92 and getting a public blast from Sheffield Wednesday for it, but I somehow completely missed the Le Tissier bids, which must have been around the same time.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not to piss on his glory but the defending was beyond ****ing ridiculous.
How so? They defend perfectly, shepherding the ball away from goal, condensing the space at the top of the box and coming up was a well organized line for the offside if he attempted a slide rule ball. Hard to know what else you would want them to do. Very well coached and disciplined defense that is looking to hold its shape, squeeze the ball, not give a freekick in a dangerous area and minimise the threat. Given they are organized and there is nowhere for Worthington to go they are expecting him (naturally) to play the way he is facing and when he does they are set and ready. They look bad (to you) because he does the unexpected and what noone had seen before and few could ever emulate.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, if you look at that clip of Worthington's goal, towards the end when he's celebrating, you can see the ref (I think) run past camera and he's clapping! Can't say I've seen that before!

Last edited:

Uppercut

How so? They defend perfectly, shepherding the ball away from goal, condensing the space at the top of the box and coming up was a well organized line for the offside if he attempted a slide rule ball. Hard to know what else you would want them to do. Very well coached and disciplined defense that is looking to hold its shape, squeeze the ball, not give a freekick in a dangerous area and minimise the threat. Given they are organized and there is nowhere for Worthington to go they are expecting him (naturally) to play the way he is facing and when he does they are set and ready. They look bad (to you) because he does the unexpected and what noone had seen before and few could ever emulate.
No, it looks bad to me because it's terrible defending. I know terrible defending when I see it. They're nowhere near tight enough, and there's a player either side of him where one should be directly behind him. If a player tries to pull something like that he should run directly into a large man whether he gets the ball past or not. Your first priority against a player with his back to goal is to ensure he stays facing that way.

Not that it matters. The quality of a goal is entirely determined by aesthetics IMO, and that was one of the best.

Jamie Carragher gets his positioning spot-on in a similar situation. What if Drogba does what Worthington did? He's not getting past Carragher. Bringing me to one of my other all-time favourite goals. Insanely difficult to do that with your weaker foot.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Actually, if you look at that clip of Worthington's goal, towards the end when he's celebrating, you can see the ref (I think) run past camera and he's clapping! Can't say I've seen that before!
In November 93 the whites beat SUnderland 4-1 at PP and went top of what's now the Championship. Pat Nevin scored an absolute peach where as he was running just chipped the ball over the keeper out of nowhere. I've never seen anything like it. The ref clapped. Only other time I've ever seen that happen.

Would love to dig out a vid of that goal, think I have it on a highlights tape somewhere in my mum's garage

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No, it looks bad to me because it's terrible defending. I know terrible defending when I see it. They're nowhere near tight enough, and there's a player either side of him where one should be directly behind him. If a player tries to pull something like that he should run directly into a large man whether he gets the ball past or not. Your first priority against a player with his back to goal is to ensure he stays facing that way.

Not that it matters. The quality of a goal is entirely determined by aesthetics IMO, and that was one of the best.

Jamie Carragher gets his positioning spot-on in a similar situation. What if Drogba does what Worthington did? He's not getting past Carragher. Bringing me to one of my other all-time favourite goals. Insanely difficult to do that with your weaker foot.
Haha, condescending tstl.

Uppercut

Haha, condescending tstl.
Haha, really? If so it's only because I found the suggestion that I just thought it looked like terrible defending because Worthington does something unusual quite condescending itself.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, really? If so it's only because I found the suggestion that I just thought it looked like terrible defending because Worthington does something unusual quite condescending itself.
Haha, fair enough, each to their own I guess.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really my greatest goal ever, but Don Rogers' effort at 5.20 is one of my favourites simply because he managed to out-do Pele's famous unsuccessful attempt at the same trick against Uruguay in the 1970 WC. And yes, we really did beat Man Ure 5-0 - I was there too. :)
Could've been 10 tbh.

YouTube - Crystal Palace 5 - 0 Man United
A great goal but TBF to Pele IIRC his was a true dummy, in that he actually beat the man without even touching the ball, as opposed to Rogers' effort there where he touched it past the 'keeper.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A great goal but TBF to Pele IIRC his was a true dummy, in that he actually beat the man without even touching the ball, as opposed to Rogers' effort there where he touched it past the 'keeper.
You remember rightly mate - I had a look at it after posting Rogers' goal.
Still, it's a bit of cheer for any Palace fans out there in these troubled times.