Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diego Maradona

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Diego Maradona

Ok, I'd like to know what people's objective opinions are of Diego Maradona ?

For mine, I think he is the best footballer I have ever seen.....man some of the moves he effected during the 1986 WC were just breathtaking especially that goal wehere he weaved past five Englishmen to score....., as well as that perfect back pass to Jorge Valdano without even looking.

And I have to admit, I found "Hand of God" incredibly amusing.....the audacity and cheekiness of it was quite something.....(no doubt quite a few of my English friends will have their say on this but I hope we can have a robust debate )

I'd rank him ahead of Platini and Zinedine Zidane as the best footballers I have seen (altho I admit from the limited video clips I saw....Garrincha and Pele were pretty aweseome).

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Baggio was a better forward.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Never really saw much of him other than the "Hand of God" moment but he has definately caused a lot of controversy and headlines in his day.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

No matter how good he was as a player, the fact that he has said that the 'hand of god' incident was deliberate means I have absolutely no respect for him. I don't really care who won that World Cup, but for a player of his standing to blatantly cheat then state that he doesn't regret is shameful.
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Best player in the history of football IMO.

Possibly one of the biggest tools as well.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Pretty hard as a English football fan to have an objective opinion about the fat, drug-addled, stumpy, money-grabbing little cheat.

He is massively overrated tho; his legend was basically based around his performance in the 1986 WC. He was very impressive, undoubtedly, but he was rubbish at Barca to such an extent that only a decidely second-rank Italian club would touch him afterwards. True, they won a couple of titles, but did the square root of sweet Fanny Adams in Europe.

At his peak he was probably the most skillful player I've seen play in a match I've seen unfold live (albeit only on telly), but others have had longer peaks & thus were arguably more effective players. A 34 year old Zidane nearly dragged France to the title; at the same age Maradona was so pumped full of drugs his eyes were practically on stalks (witness his celeb after his goal in the 94 WC just before he got pinged for drugs).
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

There are very few people in the world I wouldnt be sorry to see die but...
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

His other goal against England (not 'Hand of God', the other one) was quite possibly one of the best I have ever seen, in fact I will say it is the best I have seen. The distance he ran, beat a thousand men (ok not that amount, just doing my best Paul Vautin impersation and only League fans + Steds and BB would get it)and smashed it home past the 'keeper (and England's goal keepers in the 70's & 80's were not rubbish either)
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Stunning player, comfortably the second-best to have ever played the beautiful game. What he did at Napoli is unsurpassed in terms of one player catalysing an ordinary team into a great one.

I saw him play at some charity game earlier this year (only reason I went TBH) and even though he could barely run, his right foot was still brilliant - probably still not far off Premiership class even now.

Interesting that he's in talks to become the Honduras manager. I don't think he's management material, but given the Argentinian infrastructure I can see him managing Boca or Argentina some day.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    I saw him play at some charity game earlier this year (only reason I went TBH) and even though he could barely run, his right foot was still brilliant - probably still not far off Premiership class even now.
    Wasn't he always left footed?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    Interesting that he's in talks to become the Honduras manager. I don't think he's management material, but given the Argentinian infrastructure I can see him managing Boca or Argentina some day.
    Diego Maradona being appointed as a manager is akin to Gary Ablett Senior getting a gig as an AFL coach. Great players but completely not suited to running a team, it's crazy talk.

There may be a time when I can view Maradona in is proper context as one of the games greats.

That time is not now, cheating little druggie scumbag.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Think he must be referrign to the rabona's he managed to pull of. It's an illusion JJ, he's still actually using his left foot

The Illusion

Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information