• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can someone point me in the direction of a decent idiot's guide online?

Now that I've got ESPN America I'm quite enjoying MLB, but any discussion of strategy, as well as all the stats talk, just goes over my head.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Can someone point me in the direction of a decent idiot's guide online?

Now that I've got ESPN America I'm quite enjoying MLB, but any discussion of strategy, as well as all the stats talk, just goes over my head.
Just like Cricket, it's really hard to learn the ins and outs of baseball from any one website. You really have to watch it on a consistent basis to fully understand it. If it's stats you're struggling with, perhaps this site can help. Once you understand the stats, this site is probably the best in looking up current and past stat leaders. Just a warning - if you think Cricket fans are obsessed with stats, you've seen nothing until you get into the world of baseball! :)

Also, I don't claim to be an expert, but I've passionately followed the game since I was 12. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Shields is the pitcher I fear the most in this series, even more than Price. For us to knock him out of the game like that was HUGE.

Fusion

Global Moderator
He's an amazing hitter. You know what? He deserves a nice long break for all of his hard work. Let's hope the Rangers win the next 4 and give him his deserved rest. :p

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
To win the batting title.

Throwing Carpenter on short rest is a risk from the Cards here. They need to beat Lee to have a chance in this series though, so I guess it makes sense.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Someone explain wtf the point of bunting is.
It's one of those baseball strategies that has been followed since the beginning of time, but now more and more is getting criticized as counterproductive. Unless a speedy hitter is genuinely trying to bunt for a hit (which happens, but is very rare), the point is to advance the runner(s) into scoring position. The thought process is that if you have a runner on 1st with zero out, you lay down a bunt and advance said runner to 2nd. Now a base hit can bring him home (whereas before he would probably only make it to 3rd on a base hit). You wouldn't normally bunt with your "power" hitter though. Since they can hit a home run at any given time, they will not be asked to sacrifice bunt. You would normally bunt with either the top or bottom of your batting order.

Of course, you have sacrificed an out to advance the runner. If you have read or seen "Moneyball", you may know that some of the teams now believe bunting is counterproductive. They believe you should never give up an out just to advance a runner one base. This new view is still a minority one though. The vast majority of teams will still lay down a "sacrifice" bunt to advance the runner.

Last edited: