• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British Athletics

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had a good move the other day actually, I was holding CDEIPRT on my rack and extended ABLE to a form an 11 letter word.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
I had a good move the other day actually, I was holding CDEIPRT on my rack and extended ABLE to a form an 11 letter word.
Actually raised a smile with that one.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
PREDICT-ABLE

Im not sure its the funniest thing Ive seen but hey I dont play scrabble.

Piper

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
So 'Great Britain & Northern Ireland' finally win their first gold of the European Athletics Championships - on the last day of the event. What a pathetic performance.

What makes it more annoying is it was the overpaid layabout show pony sprinters who won the gold, who probably now think they've done a good job. You've got unadulterated crybaby knobhead Darren Campbell who sulks on every interview, drugs cheat Dwain Chambers who should have been banned for life and even as he wasn't should have been at home anyway so somebody with a future could compete instead. Then you've got Mark Lewis-Francis who manages to go backwards each year and is completely wasting his natural talent. These posers won't win jack in an Olympics. Marlon Devonish does at least seem to be vaguely likeable and has made something of his limited talent.

So where are the athletics medals going to come from in the 2008 Olympics and more importantly in London 2012?
Well at least they got the gold medal! The problem with British Athletics isnt the athletes, its the coaching and the fact that most youngsters dont realise they have sporting talent because schools dont encourage sports anymore. I know my school didnt. Kids in my school were expected to be able to compete against other kids who had been trained and were part of teams. I think sports should be bought back into schools and then maybe we would get rid of the weight problem we have in this country and we might start winning things.
Darren Campbell had every write to complain. You complain about everything but we still listen (or read) everything you say. He had his medals taken away from him because of Chambers. Drugs is a big problem in athletics now. Now, if anyone wins they are all suspected of doing drugs and i think its wrong. If you cant win without taking drugs, then you are obviously not good enough to compete at that level.
Chambers served his two years and wont be able to compete at an Olympics again. Saying that he should be banned for live is trying to say that a drug addict should be put in jail for life because he did drugs. He served his time, hopefully others will realise that drugs arent the answer and you will always get caught.
Lewis-Francis' problem is his coaching. He hasnt got anyone that will keep him motivated. He has the talent, but he needs to be able to do the 3-4 hours training a day needed to compete against athletes like Powell. If he doesnt then he is going to continue to come 4th or 5th.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lewis-Francis problem is he's not got any obvious edge or desire to be anything other than an average International sprinter. In TF-speak, he cbf.

Piper

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Lewis-Francis problem is he's not got any obvious edge or desire to be anything other than an average International sprinter. In TF-speak, he cbf.
Yeh thats why im saying he needs a better coach. Just someone who motivate him to achieving what he can. He has the talent to be more than average. He's shown he can at certain times but has trouble doing it when it really counts.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Piper said:
Yeh thats why im saying he needs a better coach. Just someone who motivate him to achieving what he can. He has the talent to be more than average. He's shown he can at certain times but has trouble doing it when it really counts.
he doesn't need a coach, he needs a kick up the ****

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Piper said:
Well at least they got the gold medal! The problem with British Athletics isnt the athletes, its the coaching and the fact that most youngsters dont realise they have sporting talent because schools dont encourage sports anymore. I know my school didnt.
Tbf, Athletics isn't really too much of a popular sport. I'd be surprised if there were half a dozen lads in my year at school who regularly turned up after school on a monday evening to do athletics, but there were over 40 who tried out to get on the rugby league team. You can encourage them all you want, but you can't force them to take part.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Piper said:
You will never make it as a top level sportsman if you can't motivate yourself.

Langeveldt

Soutie
steds said:
Tbf, Athletics isn't really too much of a popular sport. I'd be surprised if there were half a dozen lads in my year at school who regularly turned up after school on a monday evening to do athletics, but there were over 40 who tried out to get on the rugby league team. You can encourage them all you want, but you can't force them to take part.
I think thats due to where you live.. Athletics was more popular than cricket, football and rugby union down here

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I think thats due to where you live.. Athletics was more popular than cricket, football and rugby union down here
It was just an example. I can't see Athletics being as popular as football in the cities.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
It was just an example. I can't see Athletics being as popular as football in the cities.
Same here. At my school it was football, Union, cricket and then athletics in order of popularity.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
How many kids in your school Stedsy?

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
At my school they picked the Athletics team from the compulsory carnivals so the people that finished top 3 in an event would end up having to do aths on top of another sport. I'm like a greyhound, I need the rabbit (or pigs hide as the case maybe) to chase around. I can't get motivated to just run in straight lines.

Craig

World Traveller
Piper said:
Well at least they got the gold medal! The problem with British Athletics isnt the athletes, its the coaching and the fact that most youngsters dont realise they have sporting talent because schools dont encourage sports anymore. I know my school didnt. Kids in my school were expected to be able to compete against other kids who had been trained and were part of teams. I think sports should be bought back into schools and then maybe we would get rid of the weight problem we have in this country and we might start winning things.
Darren Campbell had every write to complain. You complain about everything but we still listen (or read) everything you say. He had his medals taken away from him because of Chambers. Drugs is a big problem in athletics now. Now, if anyone wins they are all suspected of doing drugs and i think its wrong. If you cant win without taking drugs, then you are obviously not good enough to compete at that level.
Chambers served his two years and wont be able to compete at an Olympics again. Saying that he should be banned for live is trying to say that a drug addict should be put in jail for life because he did drugs. He served his time, hopefully others will realise that drugs arent the answer and you will always get caught.
Lewis-Francis' problem is his coaching. He hasnt got anyone that will keep him motivated. He has the talent, but he needs to be able to do the 3-4 hours training a day needed to compete against athletes like Powell. If he doesnt then he is going to continue to come 4th or 5th.
Welcome to the world of professional cycling then. It is exactly that.

I find the whole thing funny, Lance Armstrong gets accused of taking drugs, and he has never been proven to have done so, yet Jacques Anquetil (first gut to the win Tour de France 5 times in the 50s and 60s)) openly admitted to taking drugs in his career, and nobody seemed to care, yet an American wins and he is suddenly a doper. Even Richard Virenque was and still is a national hero and he got busted as well.