• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WC Qualifier tonight

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
haha good old john. But why aren't Australian actors like John Wood or Tom Croydon the ambassadors for Qantas FFS

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
The World Cup should never be played in 35 degree heat anyway, but then the FIFA fat cats like to get a nice holiday in a warm climate.
No, it's more to do with globalising the game, which is the right thing to do.

Linda

Slats4ever said:
haha good old john. But why aren't Australian actors like John Wood or Tom Croydon the ambassadors for Qantas FFS
Tom Croydon :laughing: What would that say about Qantas that its ambassador was a fat, crazy, over the hill copper from Mt Thomas.

Slats4ever

Linda said:
Tom Croydon :laughing: What would that say about Qantas that its ambassador was a fat, crazy, over the hill copper from Mt Thomas.
hahaha what about eric banna then. isn't he hotter than john travolta

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
No, it's more to do with globalising the game, which is the right thing to do.
Bull, how are you going to globalise the game when your showcase event is so downright tedious as a spectacle because teams are conserving energy? European football is infinitely more entertaining as a spectacle because it is played in proper football conditions. Football is not a summer sport, would you hold Wimbledon in January?

Linda

Slats4ever said:
hahaha what about eric banna then. isn't he hotter than john travolta
To be perfectly honest, I dont even know what a Qantas ambassador does. All i know is John Travolta is always in this country and has his own private jet... Hes awesome.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Bull, how are you going to globalise the game when your showcase event is so downright tedious as a spectacle because teams are conserving energy?
I don't know where you get the idea that it's tedious from.

We get to witness some great skills being displayed by nations all around the world - some of them are very used to playing in the heat of Africa and South America.

If we went down your method it'd be likely that European sides would win more than they lose.

By sharing it around the world, conditions will vary over time.

Linda

Scaly piscine said:
Bull, how are you going to globalise the game when your showcase event is so downright tedious as a spectacle because teams are conserving energy? European football is infinitely more entertaining as a spectacle because it is played in proper football conditions. Football is not a summer sport, would you hold Wimbledon in January?
The A-League is played in Summer :laughing:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
steds said:
Why? It's about as close to tense and exciting as football gets. The 90 minutes is usually filled with nothingness.
How is it a fair way to decide a game though?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
That would be entertaining :p
And here come Canada down the wing, the rink doesn't look very stable down there, but the 3 big lads of their team go on, and OH MY, they have all fallen through the rink, Russia are now looking round the stadium, but here he goes, Kovalenko finds the puck behind the goal, he's going slowly now, in the Hassam El Injaroji Stadium, Ethiopia, but now he comes, coming up to the Canadian net and he brings his stick back now. OH GOD, THAT IS STUPID. The Canadian minder along with his net has fallen through the floor, and at 45 seconds into the first period of hockey, the officalls crawl together and announce this game cancelled.

Canada 0-0 Russia.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
64,000 dollar question.

Hence this discussion - and the number of variations (silver goal, golden goal, penalty shootouts, that American idea where the bloke runs from the halfway line and has 10 seconds to score - I like that one).

There is one way to ensure that at least one team goes at it hammer and tongs - have a penalty shootout BEFORE the game, so both teams know who will go through if it ends in a draw.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well, 120 minutes of normal and extra time should be enough! How long do you want them to go on for?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
64,000 dollar question.

Hence this discussion - and the number of variations (silver goal, golden goal, penalty shootouts, that American idea where the bloke runs from the halfway line and has 10 seconds to score - I like that one).

There is one way to ensure that at least one team goes at it hammer and tongs - have a penalty shootout BEFORE the game, so both teams know who will go through if it ends in a draw.
Sumo wrestling death match.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, the real World Cup qualifier is happening right now at Zwolle, and I'm missing all of it. :( :angry: I can't ****ing believe Sky is showing Wales under-16's vs. Northern Ireland under-16's, but won't ****ing show England vs. Holland. FFS! What's up with womens football? Are we going to explode if it's given any sort of media coverage? :mad:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
What's up with womens football? Are we going to explode if it's given any sort of media coverage? :mad:
Look, even in Norway (equality state de luxe, or so we like to think... :p ) women's football's qualifiers get displaced by the Bundesliga. On our license-fed NRK, no less. And we played finalists Italy for that game, whereas the Dutch women scraped 7 points in eight matches to finish fourth in a group with Denmark and Norway during their last qualifier...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose seeing as I won't be able to see Rachel, I'll just go watch some welsh and proddy dog schoolkids who I don't care about :sadwalk: