• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's National Sport

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
burkey_1988 said:
it's big??? i don't see anything in the papers about it, nor could i name one team and i am a sports nut
We get information on it and i live hours away from sydney!! the game of the week is also on tv everyweek! Fox Footy Channel

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
We get information on it and i live hours away from sydney!! the game of the week is also on tv everyweek! Fox Footy Channel
how do u get info, and how many normal people will get the exposure from fox footy?

benchmark00

burkey_1988 said:
how do u get info, and how many normal people will get the exposure from fox footy?
lol im not normal??.... The people with Pay TV would get it i suppose.. It's in the local newspapers mainly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
burkey_1988 said:
well, first of all the average rugby league crowd per match in sydney is about 12 000, not 8000. Secondly, ALL the people who go to watch afl watch the swans, which happens only 11 times a season. with about 4-5 rugby league games every week in sydney for about 30 weeks of the year, it can be said more people go to rugby league, not counting all the people who get to watch it live or close enough on fox and nine. ten tucks the afl away at midnight as well as channel nine
oh dear. don't use that argument. there are 10 teams in melbourne, and when two melbourne teams play each other, you'll be going back a long way to find a game that drew as low as 12000 people. it'd be fair to assume that aussie rules will attract at least two matches a week with more than 40000 people. the best argument that rugby league can use is that more people watched their grand final last year, which can be countered by the much more television friendly viewing time of
7-30 on a sunday night, as opposed to 2pm on a saturday arvo.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Last year, my family spent a year over in Queensland. And as soon as I got there I found a good Aussie rules team(we won the pemiership). For some reason I sat with the "cool" people, and out of about 15 of them, 6 played in my team, and 2 more really liked A.F.L, as much as League. Same thing in the other year levels. A.F.L is really getting big over there.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
yeah buddhsie boy u got it... ok maybe the 1/3 was a bit over exaggerated but at the rate its' popularity is growing at now league will be overtaken in 10 years time. ladies simply aren't interested in it, and a whole new upper class market is starting to get behind the AFL... in sydney nyway

Slow Love™

International Captain
social said:
What's wrong with netball?
Hahaha, I'm thinking we have a netballer amongst us who has experienced the undying shame first hand.... :)

Fiery and benchmark, you should read my post more carefully. I said that I thought the national sport was AFL. The point regarding overseas perception was just an additional remark.

Although it must be said that the case for cricket being the national sport in a unified sense are strengthened a little by the squabbling and state breakdown between the rival footy codes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
when i went on a cricket trip up to maroochydore, you'd ask what team they all followed in the nrl, and they all say they couldn't care about the sport, all into the brisbane lions. it'll be interesting to see what happens when the brisbane team eventually weakens though.

benchmark00

Buddhmaster said:
Last year, my family spent a year over in Queensland. And as soon as I got there I found a good Aussie rules team(we won the pemiership). For some reason I sat with the "cool" people, and out of about 15 of them, 6 played in my team, and 2 more really liked A.F.L, as much as League. Same thing in the other year levels. A.F.L is really getting big over there.
Yeah spot on again.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
burkey_1988 said:
well, first of all the average rugby league crowd per match in sydney is about 12 000, not 8000. Secondly, ALL the people who go to watch afl watch the swans, which happens only 11 times a season. with about 4-5 rugby league games every week in sydney for about 30 weeks of the year, it can be said more people go to rugby league, not counting all the people who get to watch it live or close enough on fox and nine. ten tucks the afl away at midnight as well as channel nine
That's because of the television rights agreement.

I live in Queensland with one NRL, one Super 12, and one AFL team.

Yhe lions are sold out every week (capacity about 40,000) and have by far the highest no. of people watching on TV - courtesy of interstate viewers.

Super 12 generally has a crowd of 12 - 20,000 with a moderate TV audience.

The Broncos have to give tickets away and have a moderate TV audience in QLD and very rarely get exposure elsewhere.

All this in one of 2 "Rugby League Heartlands."

benchmark00

Slow Love™ said:
Hahaha, I'm thinking we have a netballer amongst us who has experienced the undying shame first hand.... :)

Fiery and benchmark, you should read my post more carefully. I said that I thought the national sport was AFL. The point regarding overseas perception was just an additional remark.

Although it must be said that the case for cricket being the national sport in a unified sense are strengthened a little by the squabbling and state breakdown between the rival footy codes.
Ohk, it was just your last sentence through me off a great deal.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I am simply talking about the Sydney 'market' as someone else might put it, and league is far bigger than AFL. League will not be overtaken. Off-field behaviour is unnacceptable, but not bigger than the game

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
burkey_1988 said:
I am simply talking about the Sydney 'market' as someone else might put it, and league is far bigger than AFL. League will not be overtaken. Off-field behaviour is unnacceptable, but not bigger than the game
Been a leaguie most of my life (and a Souths supporter to boot).

Guys like Lockyer and Johns are better footballers than anyone, anywhere in union but the game is dying.

Witness the emergence of the Lions in Brisbane and Waratahs in Sydney.

benchmark00

burkey_1988 said:
Yes but if you look in the long term, there is every chance of it being overtaken, because parents would want to shelter (to a degree) their children from all the scandals and everything that has recently gone hand-in-hand with NRL, so when they grow older, they will be playing AFL (or other Codes)..

Simon

social said:
Been a leaguie most of my life (and a Souths supporter to boot).

Guys like Lockyer and Johns are better footballers than anyone, anywhere in union but the game is dying.

Witness the emergence of the Lions in Brisbane and Waratahs in Sydney.
league is not dying, it had a rough trot for 7 or 8 years, but its becomming stronger now than ever before...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
despite following afl, i'd like to say that i believe that andrew johns is the best active sportsman australia has at the moment.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
Yes but if you look in the long term, there is every chance of it being overtaken, because parents would want to shelter (to a degree) their children from all the scandals and everything that has recently gone hand-in-hand with NRL, so when they grow older, they will be playing AFL (or other Codes)..
I guess you are right ... but I don't see what the off-field behaviour has to do with getting a six-year-old to play

Simon

vic_orthdox said:
despite following afl, i'd like to say that i believe that andrew johns is the best active sportsman australia has at the moment.
despite the fact darren lockyer is now the worlds best player?