Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Australian Open Predictions thread

Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    well done to pratyush for winning the tipping comp, however i think we need to look at restructuring the points system for the french open, im not very happy that ed and i were so dominant in the early rounds and were blown away because of 1 or 2 matches in latter rounds. instead of doubling the points, i think we should look at just adding 1 point per round... so the final is worth 7...
    I am glad to win the tipping but even more glad that Safin won the tournament.

Regarding the points system, I quite like the doubling of the points per round as it brings in a lot more excitement and a lot of people have a chance till the end. The 1 point system would make some one a clear leader difficult to over take in the latter, more exciting stages of the tournament.

I think we can do a poll some time before the actual French Open and use the points system which more people decide on.

Over all it was wonderful such a good predicitons league worked out with a lot of people taking part. Congrats to every one who tipped! Specially to Bronco for taking such active interest and putting so much effort tabulating.

I think this Australian Open was one of the better Grand Slams we have had. Quality tennis and so many top players playing to potential right from the unfancied Ferrero for this tournament to the upcoming Nadal and Coria to the aging Agassi to the patriotic Hewitt to the utterly genius Federer and Safin.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I like the idea of the doubling - adds more weight to the finals.

One thing that might make it more fair is for eg the quarter finals onwards, have closed tips (all sent to an email address) - I know some of my later tips were part influenced by what others near the top had gone for.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    I like the idea of the doubling - adds more weight to the finals.

One thing that might make it more fair is for eg the quarter finals onwards, have closed tips (all sent to an email address) - I know some of my later tips were part influenced by what others near the top had gone for.
    yeh thats probably fair, cause going into the final there were 6 or 7 people who could mathematically win, but the top 2 were always gonna tip different so only one of them would win...

Stupid me for going off on my weekend road trip and forgetting to leave some tips here first! Would have gone with Hewitt in the final anyway so wouldn't have done any good. Well done Pratyush!

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Yes from the quarters onwards it should be closed tips IMO too.

Congrats Pratyush.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Well Done Pratyush! Super effort that.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Next time I reckon we stick with the current format, but for interests sake have an ajoining competition that has one point for each correct tip, so we can see who actually tipped the most amount of matches correctly. It can also be used as a decider if there is a tie.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Next time I reckon we stick with the current format, but for interests sake have an ajoining competition that has one point for each correct tip, so we can see who actually tipped the most amount of matches correctly. It can also be used as a decider if there is a tie.
    yeh, thats a fair enough call...

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    one other way is to have one match in every day a double point one

ie for eg say fedrer vs safin

where fedrer was fav if any one pick safin is going to win he will get double the point and if safdin lose he will lose that much point
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian
    one other way is to have one match in every day a double point one

ie for eg say fedrer vs safin

where fedrer was fav if any one pick safin is going to win he will get double the point and if safdin lose he will lose that much point
    personally i cant agree with that, it unneccisarily complicates things...

I thought the system was fine. I think people picking Safin over Federer in the semi-final deserve a lot more points than someone picking a random no-namer against anotehr no-namer, and happens to win.

The difference between picking a semi-final or final and picking a first round match should be large. Especially since often (note, not always) the latter matches are more unpredictable.

it gives more chances for winning though???

but a lot of times the mens game is unpredictable even though it was not so in AUS up until semifianls

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread Information