• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

dermo

International Vice-Captain
thought beale kicked pretty well tbh given the conditions

hard to judge many of the selections given the weather, though i thought nic white was pretty poor

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia rates him as a goal kicker based on all his performances over the years then they deserve to go out of the pool of death and not advance.

I also am concerned about cruden who wasn't bad last night so I am not picking on australians only. "pretty good" is not good enough.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just a couple of quick comments on the ABs
Kaino - not good enough - his opposite number was in amongst it more.
Read - needs to look for more work
McCaw - somehow they negated him and he looked nervous about pushing the envelope at the breakdown. Don't lose your edge Ritchie.
Retallick - failed to intimidate
Whitelock - good at the lineout
Ben Smith - possibly the best AB on the field. even though I don't recall any line breaks.

the big bambino

International Captain
The ref called some boners against us too so while he was sub standard he distributed his incompetence evenly. As an offset I'm pleased to hear a ref call players out for cynicism and send them to the bin. More like it hopefully.

I was happy to see Beale start but I'd have had him for Toomua and played Foley who really has been our best 5/8 (sorry if the terminology upsets) this year. That way you have a reliable kicker and Beale's flair. I saw the Waratahs play Foley outside Beale as a change up and I think the Wallabies could benefit from the variation. Those selections mean I'd play Phipps at half. Glad our scrum didn't fold but thought the ABs got on top by the end. Lineout still a worry for us though the ABs weren't much better themselves.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
given that horne defended in the front line in place of beale for much of the game i wouldnt be surprised to see beale move to 12 and foley come in at 10

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If the Aussies are going to consistently be that good then we will need to change our strategies. Right now our strategy is basically to play error free rugby and wait for you to make a mistake and then we ruthlessly pounce. This worked very well on the English who had 12 very good players but 2-3 non test standard players who made mistakes. This Wallaby side is much better coached than the English and have less weak links in their line up. This means they don't **** up very often. Take a look at the wings they picked. Both very responsible error free players.
The ABs may have to try to start to make things happen. There was no way to do this last night with the inclement conditions but if it is fine next week then you could see a very expansive AB display.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah - I need to watch the match again as I saw some of his hits on the highlights
1) Outworked by Fardy.
2) Knocked on a simple pass (in wet conditions) ten metres from his try line
3) Screwed up a line out when he missed the ball completely (went straight through his hands).
4) Massive hit on Beale
5) Gave away a penalty

ripper868

International Coach
Haven't caught a replay, but will say this:

It was wet, me and mrs ripper were suitably drunk, and just wait for the '"old Brigade" thing to explode in the next few years, they were (mostly) great. I was in the open and rained on all night, face paint dripping down my neck and onto my jersey. Great fun. gutted we didn't put some points on at the end of the first half, Beale really should of knocked it over. Thought Peyper was **** both ways, but obviously cheered the binnings (unsure what each was for). I know he got a "not straight" call wrong at at least one of our lineouts.

Defence was outstanding on both sides, but aided by the slippery ball. Think the AB's will be classy enough to win in Auckland and wrap up the cup for another year.

All in all the one that got away, felt like we were lucky to still be in it after the first 20 minutes and in the end we won the 2nd half 9-3, which is all that counts really....

ripper868

International Coach
Add to that, James Slipper is good, very good. He's a great platform we can build a forward pack around, and only 25, got at least another 2 RWCs in him.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Add to that, James Slipper is good, very good. He's a great platform we can build a forward pack around, and only 25, got at least another 2 RWCs in him.
He is the 2nd best front rower in the world behind Bismark. He would be easily in the world XV and he doesn't get any press in any of the media (that I have access to)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't caught a replay, but will say this:

It was wet, me and mrs ripper were suitably drunk, and just wait for the '"old Brigade" thing to explode in the next few years, they were (mostly) great. I was in the open and rained on all night, face paint dripping down my neck and onto my jersey. Great fun. gutted we didn't put some points on at the end of the first half, Beale really should of knocked it over. Thought Peyper was **** both ways, but obviously cheered the binnings (unsure what each was for). I know he got a "not straight" call wrong at at least one of our lineouts.

Defence was outstanding on both sides, but aided by the slippery ball. Think the AB's will be classy enough to win in Auckland and wrap up the cup for another year.

All in all the one that got away, felt like we were lucky to still be in it after the first 20 minutes and in the end we won the 2nd half 9-3, which is all that counts really....
I had no problem with the reffing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm probably alone in thinking this but I reckon the ABs were magnificent and scrounged a draw when they had no right to do so - it really was a testament to their professionalism, pride and character

Ref was pedantic, inconsistent and, in short, everything we hate about some officials but he wasn't biased as virtually any other whistle-blower would have had McCaw off the park

Oz still haven't got the composure or discipline (e.g. in front of kicker, not taking the points, not knowing the basic rules - wtf is this under 8s?) to be a good team but at least it wasn't a loss

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yes you are alone in saying that NZ had no right to draw that game.

12-12 was an accurate reflection of the game despite the possession favouring Aussie by 70 to 30%.

NZ really should have had a try but Aaron Smith butchered it.

We also played well beneath our normal standards - largely because Australia rattled us and got in our heads.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Suspected Kaino had been playing with an injury. Didn't look himself despite the customary big defense.

ripper868

International Coach
Well the NRC kicked off last night with Brisbane City defeating Sydney Stars 45-20 in a 6 tries to 4 encounter played under modified rules - the biggest being a change in scoring system:
Try - 5 points
Conversion - 3 points
Drop/Pen Goals - 2 points

Conversions proved to be crucial - Sydney led 20-16 at half time (4 tries to 2) but missing all conversions cost them. Samu Kerevi was the standout of the match, injuring his two opposite centers with damaging runs and breaking the line with ease, he debuted for the reds late in the season and looks a frightening prospect. All in all, the match was running rugby from the first to last in conditions not made for it, it was raining cats and dogs at one point. If this is what the NRC is going to dish up, I say give me more!

ripper868

International Coach
In other news, All blacks to win by 60. certainly aren't weakened by Messam coming in, Crotty can expect plenty of attention at 12 though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
certainly aren't weakened by Messam coming in.
Nah, we're weakened significantly.

Kaino is (normally) in a completely different class to Messam. Playing on an injury last week slowed him down a bit but there's basically no comparison between the two. That's why the selectors only needed to watch a handful of Super Rugby games after he came back from Japan to chuck him in as first choice straight away.

The man pretty much won us the world cup singlehandedly.