• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ripper868

International Coach
Plenty of Credit must go to Jim McKay (Attack Coach) for the way the backline has functioned so far - he's doing with the Wallabies backs exactly what he did with the Reds backs in 2010/11. Helps having Genia (who has been poor, when measured against his own high standards) and Cooper who know Jim's thinking. The combinations are clicking and it feels like a major piece of the World Cup puzzle has come together, the backline will read something like
9.Genia
10. Cooper
12. Toomua (has been outstanding)
13. Kuridrani / AAC / CFS
11/14 Cummins / AAC / Tomane / CFS / Another
15. Folau / Mogg

Forwards remain a work in progress, we have tonnes of talent in the 6,7,8 positions (Pocock, Higginbotham, Mowen, Fardy, Hooper, Gill) it's in the tight 5 we arent quite settled.

Expect Scotland to turn on some ****e weather and it'll be a 2 try game, Wallabies ending up victorious 17-9

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Genuinely think Falou could play anywhere in the back five.

Wobblies do need a tight five tho; the new scrum rules have really exposed them.

ripper868

International Coach
im telling you ****s folou is playing 13 next year
I think he'd be great there, but is better for the team at 15. His skills under the high ball are unmatched and gives him the space to wind up and get those long strides in. Additionally playing at 15 he can chime in to the back line anywhere.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
BoyBrumy, there's something I always wanted to ask you. What's your all-time rugby XV. Any era. Any players.

Go!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tough one, really.

I'd need a while to ponder a few positions; any player ever gives one a lot of scope. I'm naturally going to be biased towards those I've seen, but a few names from yore would inevitably be there.

Can confirm Michael Jones & Martin Johnson would feature tho.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Tough one, really.

I'd need a while to ponder a few positions; any player ever gives one a lot of scope. I'm naturally going to be biased towards those I've seen, but a few names from yore would inevitably be there.

Can confirm Michael Jones & Martin Johnson would feature tho.
Interesting that you'd pick Michael Jones. Ever since that horrible day in 2011, people have tended to put McCaw as their openside in all-time XV's. However, some cheat by putting Jones at 6 and McCaw at 7, which I don't agree with. You put Tremain at 6 and McCaw at 7 I say... that's if you'd put them in an all-time team.

Johnson of course. Much tougher than Colin Meads that fellow.

10 is the position I'm most interested with you. The more I read about the rugby greats, the more I like Jack Kyle in my all-time XV. Some say Barry John, but you'd be astonished how much he kicked in the '71 Lions Tour as opposed to running the ball - not what I expected. Porta was a great boot, but in terms of being a constructive player, I think there were better running a backline. Cliff Morgan deserves a shout. What think you of Mark Ella?

Hmm, this is getting me thinking...

Francis

State Vice-Captain
*Waits for Brumby to make history with his insights*

This is my predicted Brumby side...

1. Jason Leonard
- Should be no where in an all-time world XV, but I have a feeling his English bias (which is the best bias to have) might get to him.

2. Sean Fitzpatrick
- A consensus pick.

3. Graham Price
This is a hard one. But Brumby is sentimental.

4. Martin Johnson
-See Brumbies' post above.

5. Colin Meads
-Overrated.

6. Richard Hill
- Brumby is English. Hill is close to the best. Brumbies' English bias will get Hill over.

7. Michael Jones
- See above.

8. Zinzan Brooke
- Will he go for Shelford instead?

9. Gareth Edwards
- The greatest. Greater than Colin Meads...

10. Barry John
- He picked him during a competition long ago.

11. Jonah Lomu

12. Tim Horan
- A wild guess... Brumby picked him in a competition long ago.

13. Philippe Sella
- Frenchy!

14. David Campese
- I hear fears Brumby will attack his poor defense.

15. Serge Blanco

That's who I think Brumby will select. I disagree with many of his selections.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see Australian rugby putting it's biggest domestic match of the year on the same night as the other Sydney event which is most popular amongst its support base.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see a grown man trolling a rival code's thread like a spotty 14-year-old. There's a cross-code banter thread. Use it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if that's what it takes to get you to post every now and again, then job done.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
thoughts on the super rugby comp so far? Tahs looking good, and from what ive seen of them the Rebels are also looking quality.

Luke Jones and Luke Burgess early bolters for the wallabies imo

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
thoughts on the super rugby comp so far? Tahs looking good, and from what ive seen of them the Rebels are also looking quality.

Luke Jones and Luke Burgess early bolters for the wallabies imo
Ah! Google explains everything. I panicked when I read the above but it turns out there is another Luke Burgess

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not in any Rugby press I've ever read. I've seen him play over half-a-dozen times & he's good, but a flat-track bully. Where was he in The Semi against The Crims? George Smith had him in his pocket. Jerry Collins totally outplayed him. For my money he’s your top fella, not McCaw. As for him being the next AB captain, fair enough, but that doesn’t mean he’s top drawer. Reuben Thorne? Todd Blackadder?

& I dunno how old you are, but I saw Michael Jones play (I’m 29) & he’s the best forward I ever saw; McCaw’s not even in the same league.
Always fun looking back on these threads nine or 10 years later...