• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Union or League

Which Rugby code do you prefer?

• League

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Union

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno if this has been asked before on cricketweb, but it hasn't whilst I've been here.

Which is the superior code? As a southerner I played Union exclusively when growing up, but always preferred watching League on telly. Before it went pro Union at club level was pretty dire stuff, all kicking, rucks and mauls. League was (and is) more about running & using possession. I also hated Union's arrogance; once you'd played League professionally there used to be no way back to Union.

However, since it went pro the entertainment value of Union has increased no end & it does have more of a genuine international flavour than League. Union has taken on board some of the best bits of League (a spread-defence, superior fitness and offloads in the tackle), stolen some of its best players (its worth noting that both try scorers in the 03 Union World Cup Final were originally League men!), but has maintained its unique method of recycling possession. League definitely needs to sort its scrums out!

So I vote Union. Just.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Ok i'm comming at this from two point of views....

Firstly playing, having played quite a bit of both codes, League is by far and away my favourite game to play. I just don't find getting stuck at the bottom of a 'pile' of 6+ guys enjoyable. League is much more open and much nicer to play. League should just scrap scrums all together, a tap would do fine.

Secondly watching, i can't sit through a whole game of union....it just has no appeal for me at all. Its ok when the backline gets a bit of ball but to many mauls and crap for my likeing. Watching league is much the same as playing it, more open, quicker etc.

League hands down for me...but then again i was brought up with it and people who have played union all their life will no doubt disagree with me. :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
League by a country mile. How could a St.Helens lad say anything else?
IMO, Union is boring as sh!t. What's the point of every time you get possesion kicking the ball into touch or sticking it up your jumper and all the other team stands on you? :huh:

Langeveldt

Soutie
saying League or Union is like saying North or South..

Im sure I would prefer League if I ever heard anything about it down here, but it doesnt really exist..

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
saying League or Union is like saying North or South..

Im sure I would prefer League if I ever heard anything about it down here, but it doesnt really exist..
TOTALRL.COM Rugby League Conference Tables 2004

South West

Team P W D L F A D PTS
Somerset Vikings 10 9 0 1 526 154 372 18
Gloucestershire W 10 8 0 2 434 200 234 16
Bristol Sonics 10 5 1 4 340 334 6 11
Oxford Cavaliers 10 4 1 5 254 416 -162 9
Telford Raiders 10 1 2 7 178 340 -162 4
Worcestershire 10 1 0 9 202 490 -288 2

I vote league

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Union all the way!! Where else would you see a guy like Lawrence Dallaglio cross the try line with 3 Welshmen clinging to him? :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Anna said:
Where else would you see a guy like Lawrence Dallaglio cross the try line with 3 Welshmen clinging to him? :D
And you'd want to see that because...? :huh:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Union by a country mile, more skilled players, more tactical options, better both to watch and play

Anna

steds said:
And you'd want to see that because...? :huh:
It was just an example.....I'd much rather watch the Bath boys play :D

age_master said:
Union by a country mile, more skilled players, more tactical options, better both to watch and play
Exactly :)

Craig

World Traveller
I like both games, having played both but I tend to watch rugby when the Test matches are on. So I prefer to watch league.

If I went to a private school, then that would be different.

Linda

We dont really hear much about league in WA, but we do hear alot about union. So Im going with Union.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Union - it's the game for everyone - not the robotic hit-up, hit-up, hit-up, hit-up, hit-up, kick and repeat job that league is, and all shapes and sizes can play.

Not to mention I am a New Zealander and union is in my blood.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is the playing of League dictated by geography in NZ like it is in England & Oz?

In England League is pretty much solidly concentrated around the M62 corridor that runs from Hull to Lancashire & seems to be the main winter sport in NSW & Queensland in Oz.

Is there an enclave of League in NZ?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Is the playing of League dictated by geography in NZ like it is in England & Oz?

In England League is pretty much solidly concentrated around the M62 corridor that runs from Hull to Lancashire & seems to be the main winter sport in NSW & Queensland in Oz.

Is there an enclave of League in NZ?
There's certainly strongholds - much like in the UK, it's based around the working-class areas. South Auckland, the Hutt Valley (including Wainuiomata where guys like John Lomax and even the All Black captain Tana Umaga come from), and Hornby/Addington in Christchurch.
It used to be pretty big on the West Coast of the South Island as well, when the coal mines were going strong. Players from there in recent times include Quentin Pongia and former Kiwi prop Brent Stuart.

At a guess, I would say league here is holding firm - not making progress, but not losing too many players by the same token.