• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2016

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea I think 32 teams with a drastically reduced qualifying would make more sense than 24 teams.

It would then be more fun to have Scotland not qualify or get knocked out in the first round again.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The wildcard system does create more "live" matches which I imagine has an impact on viewership too. Would be a chance to get out of the group stage even after going 0-2 etc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Also means it's harder to map your route through the tournament because of the way the 3rds are distributed, if the 94 WC is anything to go by anyway. Which I guess adds a level of intrigue.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say, for any continent in which Greece are one of the best sixteen sides, twenty four teams is way too many.

Boy do they suck. All endeavour, running and bereft of ideas. Like a swarthier Notlob.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The first round of the World Cup is absolute arse because there's so many joke sides.

I love the Euros because it's a tough tournament to win. In 2000, France had to get through a group with the Netherlands, Czech Republic and Denmark, then grt past Spain, Portugal and Italy in the knockouts.

Can't remeber their group in 98, IIRC it contained South Africa and some other dunce side like Saudi Arabia, then Paraguay in the last 16.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The first round of the World Cup is absolute arse because there's so many joke sides.

I love the Euros because it's a tough tournament to win. In 2000, France had to get through a group with the Netherlands, Czech Republic and Denmark, then grt past Spain, Portugal and Italy in the knockouts.

Can't remeber their group in 98, IIRC it contained South Africa and some other dunce side like Saudi Arabia, then Paraguay in the last 16.
Needed their current manager to score a golden goal to beat the Paras too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a side issue, wasn't it Bilic who got Blanc sent off in the 1998 WC?
Yeah, outrageous dive clutching his face when Larry had completely missed him. Not often I enjoy a French win, but did on that occasion. Meant Le Beouf (sp?) played in the final IIRC.

Not a fan of the Croats, me.

Pothas

Needed their current manager to score a golden goal to beat the Paras too.
Yeah and they gave Spain an actual game of Football in the last World cup

South American football is bloody strong right now, even if Brazil and Argentina have not been excelling.

I would not deny that recent Euros have definetly been better competitons to watch than the recent World Cup but they are still easier to win. Is also worth pointing out that many of the dire world cup games we have seen in the last two tournaments have been between European sides.

Personaly I will always love the group stages in both tournaments, the Euros because you get fixtures like we are seeing today and the World cup because of great variety in quality and style, it's the bloody World cup I don't just want an elite few playing.

Johnners

South American football is bloody strong right now, even if Brazil and Argentina have not been excelling.

I would not deny that recent Euros have definetly been better competitons to watch than the recent World Cup but they are still easier to win. Is also worth pointing out that many of the dire world cup games we have seen in the last two tournaments have been between European sides.

Personaly I will always love the group stages in both tournaments, the Euros because you get fixtures like we are seeing today and the World cup because of great variety in quality and style, it's the bloody World cup I don't just want an elite few playing.
Very much awta, I love these tournaments from start to finish. The more games the better imho, it's such a rare opportunity to see players from all over the world that you barely knew existed.

L Trumper

State Regular

You are talking as if Paraguay is some kind of run of the mill no good side. They are generally on par with second rung of EU teams (i.e. equivalent/better than likes of czech, denmark etc.)

Furball

Evil Scotsman

It's not about being elitist, but the quality of the World Cup is diluted by having 14 teams from outwith Europe and South America. There's no way Africa and Asia merit 10 places between them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, my use of the word "elite" may not have been the wisest choice. My stance has nothing to do with being elitist and keeping small nations out, but more on keeping the competition in a state where it is comprised only of teams that are deserving of a place.

I just don't buy into the "bigger is better" philosophy for this sort of thing. I love the World Cup as much as anyone else, it's unquestionably the biggest, most prestigious and most exciting sporting event there is in my opinion. But by the end of it, I've more or less had enough, I don't see what value there is in prolonging it (other than the obvious financial gains to be had from doing so). I might be somewhat cynical, but after an entire year of seeing domestic/European football almost daily throughout the course of a season, and then several matches a day for a further month in a World Cup year, the last thing I want to see at the end of it is more football.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's not about being elitist, but the quality of the World Cup is diluted by having 14 teams from outwith Europe and South America. There's no way Africa and Asia merit 10 places between them.
It's all politics, dude.

Wouldn't lump Africa in with Asia either, far stronger on the whole. South Korea and the Nips are solid as the carpetbagging crims, but on the whole they're invariably turd.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The African showing was a big disappointment in the last WC though wasn't it?

Dunno, don't think we need any more European or South American sides, suppose the expansion of the WC to 32 enabled more teams from other continents to participate and it is without doubt th number one world sports event so you wouldn't want corners of the globe not represented.

I think I would increase the amount of intercontinental qualifying at the end, so the last 4 spots or so could come from any continent.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Very much awta, I love these tournaments from start to finish. The more games the better imho, it's such a rare opportunity to see players from all over the world that you barely knew existed.
Agree with this.

Not too bothered at all about having weaker teams in, IMO the more teams the better, Just because you get teams that aren't as good doesn't make them likely to be any less exciting.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think I would increase the amount of intercontinental qualifying at the end, so the last 4 spots or so could come from any continent.
Oh yeah I bet Ireland would love a home-and-away play-off with Burkina Faso. :p

Some kind of rules about how you gain and lose spots would be nice, though. Too subjective at the moment.

Always liked this explanation for the expansion: Football rankings: EURO expansion: Those crafty Scots and Irish!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's all politics, dude.

Wouldn't lump Africa in with Asia either, far stronger on the whole. South Korea and the Nips are solid as the carpetbagging crims, but on the whole they're invariably turd.
Nonsense. African teams are regularly amongst the worst at World Cups.

13 European teams is far too few.

Pothas

Because Slovenia, Serbia, Greece and Switzerland so illuminated the last tournament.

Japan, Korea and every South American were far better value.

I think the balance of the World Cup is just about ok as it is, it's a shame that Russia and Croatia did not make it but that is their own fault.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oceania have one spot too many. I think South America should be given an extra country especially with the Cup being in Brazil.