Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Money. Only reason for it. Uefa want more money from their competition.

Terrible idea, as GIMH says will dilute the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    OK in principle, but how would you use knock out to choose 4 teams from 6?
    Hmm yea I got it into my head there were 8 3rd places for some reason.

Pretty much every format with 24 teams stinks really.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    If you're a neutral it's pretty much the only reason you would watch it I'd say. At the last World Cup how many people can honestly say they were thrilled at the prospect of watching Slovenia vs Algeria?
    Quite a lot in Algeria and Slovenia, I'd imagine. But even from an Anglo-centric perspective, I don't see how that match taking place harmed the tournament. If it doesn't interest you, you can watch exactly as many games as you did under the 16 team format and experience no "dilution" of quality at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Quite a lot in Algeria and Slovenia, I'd imagine. But even from an Anglo-centric perspective, I don't see how that match taking place harmed the tournament. If it doesn't interest you, you can watch exactly as many games as you did under the 16 team format and experience no "dilution" of quality at all.
    Yes, but quite a lot of people in Algeria and Slovenia are not likely to be neutrals are they? In truth, I think you'd be hard pressed to make an argument that there were many non-Algerian/Slovenian people in the world who were particularly interest in the match.

It may not harm you per se, if you avoid such matches, and yes, these teams would probably go out anyway. But bulking up a tournament to include teams that are too poor to qualify ordinarily serves to benefit other than those raking in the money and the supporters of these nations. These tournaments are meant to provide a showcase for the World's/Europe's most elite talents, adding in a load of dross would cheapen rather than enhance the experience. I would rather see good football rather than more football.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Pretty much every format with 24 teams stinks really.
    I think so. I suppose that the best four third placed teams is the least bad option insofar as, although your previous point was fair enough, I can't find much sympathy for a team in 3rd position not progressing even if they have been slightly hard done by.

That being said, I could put a decent case for having 32 teams - 8 groups of 4 and an additional knock out round - and a substantially reduced qualification system, with 15 or so qualification groups roughly half the size of the present ones. Given that most of the qualifiers are a waste of time for the top 10 or so countries, the less of them the better.

Yea I think 32 teams with a drastically reduced qualifying would make more sense than 24 teams.

It would then be more fun to have Scotland not qualify or get knocked out in the first round again.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    The wildcard system does create more "live" matches which I imagine has an impact on viewership too. Would be a chance to get out of the group stage even after going 0-2 etc.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Also means it's harder to map your route through the tournament because of the way the 3rds are distributed, if the 94 WC is anything to go by anyway. Which I guess adds a level of intrigue.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Have to say, for any continent in which Greece are one of the best sixteen sides, twenty four teams is way too many.

Boy do they suck. All endeavour, running and bereft of ideas. Like a swarthier Notlob.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

The first round of the World Cup is absolute arse because there's so many joke sides.

I love the Euros because it's a tough tournament to win. In 2000, France had to get through a group with the Netherlands, Czech Republic and Denmark, then grt past Spain, Portugal and Italy in the knockouts.

Can't remeber their group in 98, IIRC it contained South Africa and some other dunce side like Saudi Arabia, then Paraguay in the last 16.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The first round of the World Cup is absolute arse because there's so many joke sides.

I love the Euros because it's a tough tournament to win. In 2000, France had to get through a group with the Netherlands, Czech Republic and Denmark, then grt past Spain, Portugal and Italy in the knockouts.

Can't remeber their group in 98, IIRC it contained South Africa and some other dunce side like Saudi Arabia, then Paraguay in the last 16.
    Needed their current manager to score a golden goal to beat the Paras too.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    As a side issue, wasn't it Bilic who got Blanc sent off in the 1998 WC?

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    As a side issue, wasn't it Bilic who got Blanc sent off in the 1998 WC?
    Yeah, outrageous dive clutching his face when Larry had completely missed him. Not often I enjoy a French win, but did on that occasion. Meant Le Beouf (sp?) played in the final IIRC.

Not a fan of the Croats, me.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah and they gave Spain an actual game of Football in the last World cup

South American football is bloody strong right now, even if Brazil and Argentina have not been excelling.

I would not deny that recent Euros have definetly been better competitons to watch than the recent World Cup but they are still easier to win. Is also worth pointing out that many of the dire world cup games we have seen in the last two tournaments have been between European sides.

Personaly I will always love the group stages in both tournaments, the Euros because you get fixtures like we are seeing today and the World cup because of great variety in quality and style, it's the bloody World cup I don't just want an elite few playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah and they gave Spain an actual game of Football in the last World cup

South American football is bloody strong right now, even if Brazil and Argentina have not been excelling.

I would not deny that recent Euros have definetly been better competitons to watch than the recent World Cup but they are still easier to win. Is also worth pointing out that many of the dire world cup games we have seen in the last two tournaments have been between European sides.

Personaly I will always love the group stages in both tournaments, the Euros because you get fixtures like we are seeing today and the World cup because of great variety in quality and style, it's the bloody World cup I don't just want an elite few playing.
    Very much awta, I love these tournaments from start to finish. The more games the better imho, it's such a rare opportunity to see players from all over the world that you barely knew existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information