Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stadiums of Hate

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    I think one of the worst aspects of it was the Ukrainian Official denying there was anything racist going on. The attack on the Asian students, was utterly unprovoked and there seemed to be no help from stewards. There are scum supporters everywhere, but where there is head in sand stuff from authorities, how will it get better.

I'm not quite sure why TTBoy is trivialising it, won't make it go away. Did you actually watch it?
    No. Will stream it later.

Just listened to it being discussed on 5 Live and Sol Campbell's comments. Debate so far seems extremely alarming considering of my experiences in Poland and when it was raised that London is hosting an Olympics, just a year after the city and country was engulfed by rioters, they replied but the Olympics would have world class security but then so will Poland and the Ukraine. BBC filmed domestic games where there is domestic policing and officiating and where tickets cost tuppence. The EUROS will have officials who have attended the UEFA workshops, be accredited by UEFA and where the majority of allocated tickets in Poland for instance are for corporate/members and sponsors of the Polish FA. Different kettle of fish to the Polish supporters who went to Northern Ireland looking for a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Granted the footage shown wasn't good, but this was a very BBC style documentary, if you get what I mean. To be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Really? Granted we don't know exactly how typical it is, but even the incidents we saw were shocking enough.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Really? Granted we don't know exactly how typical it is, but even the incidents we saw were shocking enough.
    Yeah, the incidents shown were pretty shocking, but at the same time, you could probably go around Europe and get some footage of this sort from plenty of stadiums. It just so happens that the upcoming Euro Competition is being played in Poland and Ukraine. I mean if we were to go and take a camera into a crowd section of Lazio ultras, we'd undoubtedly see similar scenes.

I don't want to belittle what is undoubtedly a serious issue, but the problem I have with this sort of expose documentary is that it inevitably leans pretty heavily on whatever angle it favours. Such is the nature of such a programme I suppose. It was the kind of show that I would watch if I had already had an understanding of the salient issues, but if I wanted to learn afresh and make up my own mind about the severity of the situation I'd go elsewhere.
    Last edited by sledger; 29-05-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    No. Will stream it later.

Just listened to it being discussed on 5 Live and Sol Campbell's comments. Debate so far seems extremely alarming considering of my experiences in Poland and when it was raised that London is hosting an Olympics, just a year after the city and country was engulfed by rioters, they replied but the Olympics would have world class security but then so will Poland and the Ukraine. BBC filmed domestic games where there is domestic policing and officiating and where tickets cost tuppence. The EUROS will have officials who have attended the UEFA workshops, be accredited by UEFA and where the majority of allocated tickets in Poland for instance are for corporate/members and sponsors of the Polish FA. Different kettle of fish to the Polish supporters who went to Northern Ireland looking for a fight.
    This is all true but the ultras who follow domestic football in both countries will still be in the country.

Any of you guys planning on travelling over there to watch any matches?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Any of you guys planning on travelling over there to watch any matches?
    Not me

Me neither.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Was planning to stay at home but given that those two ****ers aren't going I'm now sorely tempted

Fred we should watch in the Three Tuns. I sorely miss being a patron there, and I am sure that the patronage of "the tall Arsenal boy" is sorely missed also.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I am sure that the patronage of "the tall Arsenal boy" is sorely missed also.
    That's not what the Pitcroft crew told me

Speaking to the wrong people Fred, should have asked someone on Grange Avenue.

Good start from the locals. With the predictable response from UEFA

Euro 2012: Holland players subjected to racist abuse at training session | Football | The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Good start from the locals. With the predictable response from UEFA

Euro 2012: Holland players subjected to racist abuse at training session | Football | The Guardian
    Yep. It begins.

Might get some utterly derisory and pathetic fines at some stage if we're lucky.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    John Terry will be the peoples champ.

ark ar ark
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information