• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-tournament friendlies

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That bloke saying after the John Barnes Brazil goal he pretended to be John Barnes, TBF he'd have been about as effective for England for the next 10 years if he'd played.

*not letting it go*

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That bloke saying after the John Barnes Brazil goal he pretended to be John Barnes, TBF he'd have been about as effective for England for the next 10 years if he'd played.

*not letting it go*
Probably a better manager too

*notlettingthatgoeither*

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Good finish for the goal, but otherwise I'd say there were a number of fairly ominous signs about the performance today. Clive harped on about how "solid" the team looked, but so many players kept giving up possession in dangerous areas after dwelling on the ball, and it's not like Belgium weren't allowed plenty of opportunities to get into good areas and fashion chances.

Also, if I was one of the top sides looking to splash out on new players, I'd look into the prospect of signing Fellaini before going near Hazard.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I thought he was good as well. He's the exact kind of player England seems to be incapable of producing too.

grecian

We were awful at the things we're always awful at, we'll be crushed in the euros.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's strange, I can't recall watching many England matches between the last World Cup and now, but it seems they haven't even come close to ironing out the very basic flaws that dogged them last time round. Namely, they cannot keep the ball and play simple passes. Absolutely no patience/inspiration whilst in possession whatsoever. Don't think there's much there by way of attacking threat either, defence is probably solid enough, but the failure to make sensible use of the ball annoys me so much.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It's strange, I can't recall watching many England matches between the last World Cup and now, but it seems they haven't even come close to ironing out the very basic flaws that dogged them last time round. Namely, they cannot keep the ball and play simple passes. Absolutely no patience/inspiration whilst in possession whatsoever. Don't think there's much there by way of attacking threat either, defence is probably solid enough, but the failure to make sensible use of the ball annoys me so much.
If only there was someone - let's call him M.Carrick, no, Michael C - sitting around who might have been able to help with that.

grecian

Would have been nice of him to make himself available.
Yep, no point going on about him or Scholes, if they can't be arsed to play **** 'em. Not going to myther about either ever again.

Rather have Barton in, at least he'd want to play for us.

Carrick, who I've always defended on Cricketweb, often against Man U fans, is in danger of becoming some kind of world-class player by his absence, when he definitely isn't.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have been nice of him to make himself available.
Not completely absolving him with my comment TBH - while I have some sympathy for his disillusionment having seen the players (some of whom are breathtakingly moderate) who've been picked ahead of him over and over again for no discernible improvement for the national side, his toys-out-of-pram attitude has backfired on him quite badly here. Had he just sucked it the **** up and stayed on the standby list, then with Lampard and Barry and out and Parker still not totally convincing he'd now be one of England's most important midfielders at the tournament with a genuine opportunity to shine.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, no point going on about him or Scholes, if they can't be arsed to play **** 'em. Not going to myther about either ever again.

Rather have Barton in, at least he'd want to play for us.

Carrick, who I've always defended on Cricketweb, often against Man U fans, is in danger of becoming some kind of world-class player by his absence, when he definitely isn't.
Did Scholesy actually turn down a call-up? I didn't realise that.

Agreed on Carrick not being world class, and **** knows I've criticised him in the past, but I do think he offers something that other English midfielders don't, and he's not been given anywhere near the chances to show it that some others have.

grecian

Did Scholesy actually turn down a call-up? I didn't realise that.

Agreed on Carrick not being world class, and **** knows I've criticised him in the past, but I do think he offers something that other English midfielders don't, and he's not been given anywhere near the chances to show it that some others have.
Oh I was talking about his general retirement, Scholes, I can't remember if he'd turned this particular tournament. Oh I'd have Carrick in the team, but it ain't going to make much difference.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
England are basically playing like Liverpool did last year under Hodgson. Except, they're winning.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
We were awful at the things we're always awful at, we'll be crushed in the euros.
Would agree but Chelsea just won a Champions League playing a style far less inspiring that what England served up over the past week and beat a side over two legs that is better than anything England will face at the Euros. Got a chance.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
England have far less mettle than Chelsea though. If history is anything to go by anyway.

Edit: And no Didier Drogba.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
0-0 draw for the Irish in Budapest in their final warm up then. Unbeaten in 14 now; fair effort with limited resources.

They get something out of Croatia and you never know what with Italy suddenly looking a bit ****.