• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ U-19's in CWLand

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Hopefully the guys that have opted to not play have a think about it and change there mind, its not every day you get chosen to represent your country. It shouldnt be seen as a choir. I would of thought everyone would of loved to represent CW. Imo if your not available for the games during the Dev league season you shouldnt be picked in its off-season as its not fair to the guys who actually wanted to play.

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
Hmm dissapointing that the tour has been pushed back, hopefully something can be arranaged soon, cus i'll be disappointed if i missed a chance to play for CW, for no real reason. Oh well i hope that the captain not too disappointed i choice Cricket Web over the Reds and has me back.

EDIT: to my fellow Reds player, James, i hope you change your mind cus like Jack and Mike have said its not everyday you get to play for CricketWeb.

Last edited:

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
new_age_ar said:
Hmm dissapointing that the tour has been pushed back, hopefully something can be arranaged soon, cus i'll be disappointed if i missed a chance to play for CW, for no real reason. Oh well i hope that the captain not too disappointed i choice Cricket Web over the Reds and has me back.

EDIT: to my fellow Reds player, James, i hope you change your mind cus like Jack and Mike have said its not everyday you get to play for CricketWeb.
Of course we'll have you back, you're a key player in both our FC and 1D sides. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Anyone going well in this series would prove absolutely nothing compared to Dev Cricket because it is a much lower standard.
So Moises Henriques and Piyush Chawla have proved absolutely nothing? Ridiculous.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
to be fair; Country before club(or county or whatever) I will play U19 if I get selected, at this moment my country is in front of county/state/whatever. simple.
with this i make myself available to any tour that will be undertaken by the U19 or 'A' even if it clashes with Green.

Mr Mxyzptlk

steds said:
That's two from how many who played in the World Cup?
Your point?
Those are two who did really well and to say that doing well does nothing to bolster reputation is ridiculous. Why does it matter how many others played in the World Cup?

You want more names? Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Xavier Marshall, Lendl Simmons.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Regarding those who say that FC / List-A players should not play U-19 level cricket as it's "below" them...

Precedent - all the following players were playing FC / List-A cricket before they went on tour to Sri Lanka in the 2003 season. This is the first tour I checked (I was looking for the previous U-19 world cup).

Shahid Yousuf - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.
Jahangir Mirza - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season.
Kaushal Silva - Playing FC cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing List-A cricket in the 2001/2002 season.
Sulaman Qadir - Playing List-A cricket in 2000/2001 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.

These were just the first four players I looked at in the first tour I looked at. All were playing FC / List-A cricket in Pakistan before a tour went ahead - notably during the Pakistan regular season. Some of them have pretty impressive FC / List-A careers going for them, too.

EDIT: When I say they were playing in a certain season, I mean that's the first season that they were playing that level of cricket, not that it's the only season. :p

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
mikeW said:
Hopefully the guys that have opted to not play have a think about it and change there mind, its not every day you get chosen to represent your country. It shouldnt be seen as a choir. I would of thought everyone would of loved to represent CW. Imo if your not available for the games during the Dev league season you shouldnt be picked in its off-season as its not fair to the guys who actually wanted to play.
It's a cricket tour, why would it be seen as a bunch of wierd boys singing? :unsure: :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So Moises Henriques and Piyush Chawla have proved absolutely nothing? Ridiculous.
Both of them were spoken about before the WC.

An ordinary tour isn't a World Cup.

Also, how much web coverage do these tours get when they happen?

Compare it to how much domestic cricket gets covered.

Now try and say which is the more important.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
Regarding those who say that FC / List-A players should not play U-19 level cricket as it's "below" them...

Precedent - all the following players were playing FC / List-A cricket before they went on tour to Sri Lanka in the 2003 season. This is the first tour I checked (I was looking for the previous U-19 world cup).

Shahid Yousuf - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.
Jahangir Mirza - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season.
Kaushal Silva - Playing FC cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing List-A cricket in the 2001/2002 season.
Sulaman Qadir - Playing List-A cricket in 2000/2001 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.

These were just the first four players I looked at in the first tour I looked at. All were playing FC / List-A cricket in Pakistan before a tour went ahead - notably during the Pakistan regular season.
Yousuf - 1 FC game
Mirza - 3 List A games in each season
Silva - can't find him on cricketarchive
Qadir - 1 FC game

These are regulars how exactly?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Yousuf - 1 FC game
Qadir - 1 FC game

In real life, people aren't deemed inactive. We have to play rookies because there aren't too many from "the dark ages" left. Plus they sign up with abundant awesome-ness.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Both of them were spoken about before the WC.

An ordinary tour isn't a World Cup.

Also, how much web coverage do these tours get when they happen?

Compare it to how much domestic cricket gets covered.

Now try and say which is the more important.
They were spoken about because of their performance at age level cricket. I don't see why it matters where they're playing the age level cricket. It's the same thing.

Besides, it's completely untrue to say that Chawla's reputation wasn't enhanced after the World Cup. It doesn't matter what press he had before. He was not on the verge of Test selection before. That's a fact.

In terms of players getting their reputation enhanced by "meaningless" tours, Jason Mohammed Leon Johnson had their reputations enhanced greatly by their meaningless tours before the World Cup.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Yousuf - 1 FC game
Qadir - 1 FC game

In addition to what Sean said, real life teams don't have squads limited to 18 players. The fact is that the player pool is so small that it's all relative. A typical domestic team outside of CWLand has at least twice as many players from which to choose the first 18, then choose 11 from that squad of 18. In CWLand, we only have 18 players to choose 11 from.

It's not the same.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I believe he said they pick 18 from the 36 - the 36 including the U-19s, the reserves, etc. who would otherwise play club cricket.