• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English Summer of 2019

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Lords at least should be more of an SCG/Adelaide Oval size as it'd probably sell it out anyway and given there's two Tests there a year it's easier to get a decent ROI.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah but no point having 50000 empty seats though is there, need multicoulored seating to hide the fact nobody is there then.

Burgey

Yeah but no point having 50000 empty seats though is there, need multicoulored seating to hide the fact nobody is there then.
You’ve got a population of 60 odd million on a postage stamp sized island, and there’s three mainstream sports, of which this is the only one played in what passes for summer. If you can’t fill it consistently you’re kidding yourselves

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tickets at Lords are so expensive as well. Looking at £80+ for first 2/3 days of tests and ODIs. They could easily sell out 50k at £50 I'd guess.

Burgey

The market would decide. But we’ll never know because the ground is nothing more than boutique size. Basically Drummoyne Oval without the view and with a museum

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the ground in Oz used for other sports? Here you would be increasing them to be half empty the bulk of the time.

morgieb

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the ground in Oz used for other sports? Here you would be increasing them to be half empty the bulk of the time.
Well yes, though Adelaide Oval has had a large capacity for a long time and they only started playing Aussie Rules there quite recently. With that said aren't most cricket grounds in other parts of the world quite large?

It is definitely a balancing act though. You have to be reasonably confident of selling it out regularly for it to expand. That's why I only suggested it for Lord's, which has the prestige that it could easily get 40-50k for most of its matches.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
as if camden council would permit planning permission to double the size of lords. its in a highly congested area.

the only way you're getting a 50k+ cricket ground in london is by building a brand new one.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also wouldn't it be kinda ruining the appeal of a beautiful old ground to add a tacky modern extension to it

andmark

International Captain
Also wouldn't it be kinda ruining the appeal of a beautiful old ground to add a tacky modern extension to it
In fairness, I went there when the first postbox went up and it looked considerably better than it previously had. Can't talk about the second one though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On 4 successive days we have seen results. Is the weather clear of rains from here on?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Every time I see this thread I can't help but think about the "summer of George".