• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reverse Alphabetic Draft

ataraxia

International Coach
It doesn't mean what stephen thinks it does. "If you want to pick Bradman, you must pick Mahmadullah and counting Mahmadullah have a minimum of 9 players in your side already. Bradman must be your 10th or 11th player." means:
If I want to pick Bradman
1. I must pick Mahmadullah
2. I must have a minimum of 9 players in my side counting Mahmadullah already (before picking Bradman) - so Bradman must be the 10th or 11th pick

Prove me wrong.

stephen should have spent 2 more minutes writing the rules clearly. This is terrible choice of words for what he wanted it to mean. Should have simply said "If you want to pick Bradman, Mahmudullah must be your 9th pick." He didn't even need so many words.

Lara and Laker both gone - I would have picked one of them in place of Mahmadullah if the rules were written in correct language. Please count me out and enjoy the draft if I'm not allowed Bradman (or not allowed to change my Mahmadullah pick for Lara or Laker).
That's how I read the rules the second time too FWIW.

ataraxia

International Coach
  • AndrewB: Kane Williamson, Hedley Verity, Steve Smith, Mike Procter, Keith Miller, George Lohmann
  • ankitj: Fred Trueman, Brian Statham, KS Ranjitsinhji, Muttiah Muralitharan, Clive Lloyd
  • pothas: Waqar Younis, Hugh Tayfield, Graeme Smith, Shaun Pollock, Dennis Lillee
  • ataraxia: Steve Waugh, Derek Underwood, Glenn Turner, Viv Richards, Bill Ponsford, Bert Oldfield, Ray Lindwall
  • kingkallis: Clyde Walcott, Herbert Sutcliffe, Barry Richards, Glenn McGrath, Harold Larwood
  • honestbharani: Everton Weekes, Chaminda Vaas, Frank Tyson, Shakib Al Hasan, ​Kagiso Rabada, Eddie Paynter, Mushtaq Mohammed, Brian Lara
  • stephen: Zaheer Abbas, Bill Woodfull, Sachin Tendulkar, Shoaib Akhtar, Ricky Ponting, Dudley Nourse, Jim Laker
  • trundler: Shane Warne, Victor Trumper, Bob Simpson, Jack Russell, Malcolm Marshall, Jacques Kallis
  • Teuton: Younis Khan, Bob Willis, Gary Sobers, Andy Roberts, Bill O'Reilly, Arthur Morris, Imran Khan
Timed Out

• SillyCowCorner1: Frank Worrell, Dan Vettori, Kumar Sangakkara, Ian Redpath, Bobby Peel, Makhaya Ntini
  • weldone: Wasim Akram, Dale Steyn, Joe Root, Graeme Pollock, Mahmudullah
I'm before Pothas. L > N.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On the other hand, I confirmed through a VM from Stephen that Mahmudullah had to be 9th or 10th pick to be eligible to pick Bradman later. Arguably everyone (including me) would have wanted to take Mahmudullah if that was not the requirement. May be we pause the game now until Stephen rules on it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I think we pretty much all knew the intention was that you had to have 9 players when picking Mahmudullah, I mean it is impossible for Bradman not to be your 10th or 11th pick regardless. It was just a poorly worded sentence.

Anyway people arguing about drafts is hilarious, almost makes me wish Watson was here.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway people arguing about drafts is hilarious...
Agree about this. Apologies for my post. I guess I could say what I did in a more polite way. It's just that in these lockdown times this draft was one of the few things I was enjoying - so I felt quite peeved at it ending for me the way it did. I guess I know what stephen is going to say anyway. So, I don't want to hold up the draft for you guys. Feel free to continue, especially given everyone continued after my Mahmudullah pick.

stephen

Ugh. I'm sorry weldone. I didn't go to as great of a length at explaining the rules this time around because the rules operated in the exact same way as the first alphabetic draft. If you were unclear on it you should have clarified. Not only that but I and others tried to clarify as soon as we saw what happened.

For the sake of everyone involved, I'll let you pick Bradman but your team will be excluded from the vote at the end since your team would obviously be the best team. Alternatively you can change your M pick and continue on. I'll leave it up to you weldone.

stephen

It doesn't mean what stephen thinks it does. "If you want to pick Bradman, you must pick Mahmadullah and counting Mahmadullah have a minimum of 9 players in your side already. Bradman must be your 10th or 11th player." means:
If I want to pick Bradman
1. I must pick Mahmadullah
2. I must have a minimum of 9 players in my side counting Mahmadullah already (before picking Bradman) - so Bradman must be the 10th or 11th pick

Prove me wrong.

stephen should have spent 2 more minutes writing the rules clearly. This is terrible choice of words for what he wanted it to mean. Should have simply said "If you want to pick Bradman, Mahmudullah must be your 9th pick." He didn't even need so many words.

Lara and Laker both gone - I would have picked one of them in place of Mahmadullah if the rules were written in correct language. Please count me out and enjoy the draft if I'm not allowed Bradman (or not allowed to change my Mahmadullah pick for Lara or Laker).
I realise now that i should have clarified that Mahmadullah was to be the 9th or 10th player drafted in a side that wishes to pick Bradman.

The language issues come because it's easy to insert "when you pick Bradman" at the end of the first sentence even though it's intended to be read "when you pick Mahmadullah". Otherwise the second sentence has no meaning (it's covered by other rules).

Again, you have my apologies.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'll let you pick Bradman but your team will be excluded from the vote at the end since your team would obviously be the best team.
Yes that works for me, thanks. I'd never win any draft votes even with Bradman anyways, so I'll play on without the votes.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If you were unclear on it you should have clarified.
Honestly I was not unclear on it. I would have clarified if I thought at that time there could be two meanings. But at first reading it was clear to me - just pick Mahmudullah within first 9 or 10, and then you're free to pick Bradman.

Not only that but I and others tried to clarify as soon as we saw what happened.
I was sleeping at that time. If the draft stopped for a few hours at that time till I woke up, I would have changed my Mahmudullah pick for Lara.

Anyways I am sorry for being angry at you (blame that on lockdown frustration). And your option of picking Bradman without taking part in the votes suits me. So, all's good from my side.

ataraxia

International Coach
Richard Hadlee

1. WH Ponsford /
2. GM Turner /
3. IVA Richards / pt
4. SR Waugh* / pt
7. RJ Hadlee o /
8. WAS Oldfield + /
9. RR Lindwall o /
11. DL Underwood o

Last edited: