• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under 19 World Cup 2020

Flem274*

123/5
what do you expect to happen when you select half the team from the worst team in our nationals?

who even picked this team. fire them.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Every rock the ND kids may or may not have struck over the last six weeks just means they are getting more and more overdue for some diamonds against India tonight, Phlegm.

I could see Ollie possibly lobbying his dad pretty hard behind the scenes last year to get that contract re-signed with Kookaburra and certainly not let any Dukes come into New Zealand play. The flashy cover drive attempts to a swinging ball with two slips and a gully in place is the sort of moxie and arrogance that will work well as ND's eventual replacement for Devcich.

Pomare is actually one of the more stylish young ND bats I've seen for a while, we'll try to keep him in the XI, despite getting out really softly and too soon all the time.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Australia U19 World Cup squad: Cooper Connolly, Oliver Davies, Sam Fanning, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Mackenzie Harvey, Lachlan Hearne, Corey Kelly, Liam Marshall, Todd Murphy, Patrick Rowe, Tanveer Sangha, Liam Scott, Bradley Simpson, Connor Sully, Matthew Willans

Most of that is more or less along the lines of what I expected, team seems to have been largely selected before the national carnival. Couple of noteworthy surprises though. Connolly is a real bolter, 16 year old allrounder who bats in the top order and bowls left arm chinaman, U17 player of the tournament earlier in the summer and then had a really strong U19 tournament as well. Two players with Shield experience already in JFM and Scott, a handful of others have state rookie contracts. Questionmarks over Davies at this stage though, has a busted arm explains why he didn't play recently, he should be fine but its no certainty.

From a South Aussie point of view, good to see Corey Kelly in the squad, but it's a shame his twin brother won't be with him.
It’s a pretty interesting squad, especially with Sangha and Connolly posing a different type of attack than some of the last Aussie editions.

Based on the nationals, it looks to be a fairly strong batting age group.

Looking forward to see how Fraser-McGurk looks against kids of similar age.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It’s a pretty interesting squad, especially with Sangha and Connolly posing a different type of attack than some of the last Aussie editions.

Based on the nationals, it looks to be a fairly strong batting age group.

Looking forward to see how Fraser-McGurk looks against kids of similar age.
Yeah I have a fair bit of hope for this batting lineup, good mix of aggressive hitters and a couple of comparatively steady hands. Bowling looks decent if not worldbeating, the spin options look good but as for pace I am a touch disappointed Cameron McClure didn't get picked, he looks seriously rapid

Still think India are the team to beat as usual at this level

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Every rock the ND kids may or may not have struck over the last six weeks just means they are getting more and more overdue for some diamonds against India tonight, Phlegm.

I could see Ollie possibly lobbying his dad pretty hard behind the scenes last year to get that contract re-signed with Kookaburra and certainly not let any Dukes come into New Zealand play. The flashy cover drive attempts to a swinging ball with two slips and a gully in place is the sort of moxie and arrogance that will work well as ND's eventual replacement for Devcich.

Pomare is actually one of the more stylish young ND bats I've seen for a while, we'll try to keep him in the XI, despite getting out really softly and too soon all the time.
I thought Ollie White is a gun player but having seen him play spin I now have second thoughts.

Pomare I thought is a very good player. Still baffles me so many under performing players from the series vs Bangladesh/Aussies and nationals have been picked.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Yeah I have a fair bit of hope for this batting lineup, good mix of aggressive hitters and a couple of comparatively steady hands. Bowling looks decent if not worldbeating, the spin options look good but as for pace I am a touch disappointed Cameron McClure didn't get picked, he looks seriously rapid

Still think India are the team to beat as usual at this level
Also worth noting that Cameron Green only missed out on eligibility by 6 months.

With 2 x FC hundreds in the Shield with a batting of average of around 40 & 2 x 5fa w/ 28 wkts @ 21.53 and capable of bowling 140kph.

He’s probably the best u/20 cricketer in the world at the moment along with P.Shaw.

He’d be the best bowler in this tournament certainly (even though he’s not bowling at the moment).

So changes the outlook for the quicks stocks quite considerably when you include him.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Pleasantly surprised by Tashkoff's spin bowling. A good effort in tandem with Ashok to peg India back.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

There's often a touch of style found in Wesley Madhevere's boundaries isn't there.

Bats up high in the order and always good for a complete spell of finger spin, he could be sort of a Zimbabwean Rachin Ravindra, although maybe Wesley gets that visual appeal grabbing a lot more games by the scruff in South African conditions than Rachin has in NZ.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Mishra a bit too hot to handle for the NZ top order. Tashkoff and 17 yr old Wheeler-Greenall salvaging some respectability. Wheeler-Greenall holds the bat like an axe, but he seemed to have a bit of time against the quicks that should stand him in good stead.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Coetzee being managed back into his work after a hamstring injury, if you're wondering why only the four overs of new ball bullying.

https://www.sacricketmag.com/coetzee-returns-for-after-msl-injury/

Coetzee suffered a hamstring injury while appearing in the second edition of the Mzansi Super League for the Jozi Stars in mid-November, keeping him out of action for almost two months.

The all-rounder has now confirmed that he is finally back to match fitness and available for selection, something that excites the 19-year-old.

‘I am feeling great. I am in a good space and I can’t wait to get on the field,’ he said at the team’s training session at Kingsmead. ‘I feel like I have been ready for two weeks, but there are formalities that have to be followed.

‘I am not saying, if I play tomorrow, I will run up and play the perfect game, but I won’t be on the back foot. I am ready and whatever the opposition throws at me, I would do my very best to throw it back harder.’

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
David White's Knights from NZ seem to need the nerves of the far more enthusiastic (yet penniless) nations to make any headway away from home, I'm afraid. A bit of rustic lower-order six hitting from Luke Oldknow made sure there wouldn't be two horrible choke losses to NZ in a row though.

I'm enjoying NZ's predictability, if nothing else (15/4 odds for Zim) -

Last edited: