• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under 19 World Cup 2020

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Our boys struggling for runs I see.... I think Jesse Tashkoff the captain of NZ side has shown some promise with the bat and ball. At least from Wellington when they pick players they are good enough. Like I said before I don't expect our boys to win much but if we can find 2 or 3 players that can be pushed into domestic cricket the job's done.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Zimbabwe have produced a couple of fairly competitive U19 sides in recent years. It's a real pity the political and administrative situation over there has basically killed off the game at an elite level, because Bob Mugabe's obsession with the old colonial institution seems to have really born fruit in terms of the standard of boys cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes the amount of viewership on YT and discussion on FB etc. about Zimbabwe U19 and schoolboy cricket would be a surprise for many. I think there's a feeling though that it's primarily the ones who get into South African schoolboy cricket who make big strides with their games -

“A lot of the Zim players play in South Africa in schoolboy cricket,” said Mahatlane. “One of their best players, Wesley (Madhevere), is at St Charles College and we’ve seen him dominate in Schools T20 Cricket.
There is the occasional Cinderella story, like this one with Tadiwa Nyangani (5/45 vs. SA U19) -

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/meet-binduras-chinaman

“Tadiwa always says ‘Mama I will change our life, it’s a matter of time’.

“We are happy with what he has achieved, we are overjoyed.

“I am pleased he is bright in school, as well, having passed nine out of 10 ‘O’ Level subjects.”

Tadiwa’s first coach — a Bindura cricket legend himself — Ishmael “Nyundo” Senzere who played 11 First Class matches for Eagles is pleased with Nyangani’s progression.

“He is now an inspiration to the other kids,” Senzere said.

“It’s a great achievement to us, as a province, and I would like to thank coach (Prosper) Utseya for identifying and working hard with the boy.

“I think it will motivate young cricketers in the province to work extra hard,” he said.

Zimbabwe U19 coach Utseya is, however, modest in his tribute to Nyangani’s Bindura coaches.

“I took over from them; but it’s his coaches who helped a lot, a sign that Zimbabwe Cricket’s development programme is important.

“Tadiwa is a rare breed, so there is need to continue spreading development across the country.

“Tadiwa is a quiet and prayerful boy; and I believe he will be a success for Zimbabwe cricket in the future, “ said Utseya.

Tadiwa has a dream to give back to his community.

“I wish to have an academy of U13-U19 and also build another ground in Bindura.

“We have the Bindura Country Club, it’s an important place for us, and we are grateful to have that facility.”

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Hoping a game-hardened Wesley, Dion, Milton and Tadiwa have a bit of a challenge in store for England U19 tonight. I'm told spinners may not get the turn in Pretoria they were getting in Durban though, so fingers crossed there's a good run for my money.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Saved by the rain last night after Zim had a shocker with the bat.

I wonder what Bangladesh U19's record in England and New Zealand has been over the last six months, I believe it's about 8W 2L. There will be bounce at a good clip here though, that puts me off slightly.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ U19 lost as a $1.04 favourite!
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Bangladesh backers were unlucky with a tied game. 250/6 plays 250ao.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...h-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Canada had West Indies 89/5 chasing 271, but the Windies won by 3 wickets. Possibly injury to Wanganui club cricketer Akhil Kumar as he didn't bowl any of his high 130s rockets. Made 59 as a No. 3 bat.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

257-run margin, Scotland over Japan.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...d-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
what's the birth cutoff here? Canada's opening bowler is born in November 2000 which doesn't seem in the U19 spirit
Yes I believe associate nations have had that extra year in the U19 rules for a while, just to boost their competitiveness a little.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
As for full member nations, you can't turn 19 before the 1st of September preceding the tournament. So November 2000 would be okay anyway.

Last edited:

nzfan

NZ U19 lost as a $1.04 favourite!

Bangladesh backers were unlucky with a tied game. 250/6 plays 250ao.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...h-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20

Canada had West Indies 89/5 chasing 271, but the Windies won by 3 wickets. Possibly injury to Wanganui club cricketer Akhil Kumar as he didn't bowl any of his high 130s rockets. Made 59 as a No. 3 bat.

257-run margin, Scotland over Japan.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...d-under-19s-warm-up-iccu19wc-warm-ups-2019-20
What's going on with our lads? They are barely scoring much against any opponent. In the past some of our under 19s sides have been wanting but they'd generally win few games as well but this group has not won a single game from memory since a year.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes falling off the global pace. (Two wins they've had. One came when they were down 0-3 to Bangladesh already, then that silly choke loss from Zimbabwe).

Despite the mountain of new money that's come into the game, international U19 cricket seems like it was more of a priority of the NZ national board in the 1990s than it is now. U19 tours were treated with a sort of grandfatherly fondness by a Don Neely or Christopher Doig, that slightly more high-flown but really nice sort of cricket person. In this current era, it's as if it took the actual son of the CEO being one of the players to make it slightly less neglected, but it was too little too late.

Whether New Zealand is also getting towards being a bit of a cricketing microclimate that just doesn't lend itself towards creating really crafty and export-grade cricketers anymore, that's an interesting question. Pitches that don't turn or deteriorate a lot, nice short boundaries for aggressive but less than pure ballstriking. The disappointing thing has been a lack of any real appetite to venture outwards and become more sophisticated. That burden is shouldered by parent-funded outfits like the Willows tours (South Island) and the Hutt Hawks (Wellington), but I don't really hear of a Northern Districts equivalent to this. They'd pit their better teenagers against men when ND is split into its six districts, which is okay as a mental challenge, probably not a great technical challenge. A potential recipe there for 'all hat and no cattle' cricketers.

Last edited:

Immenso

Wow, worse than even I thought from NZ. Yesterday I started to right a post to work out our worse U19 team, e.g. is this squad going to be worse than our 2016 UAE performance - but then deleted it as being too negative about guys who are still kids.

No top order runs and no new ball wickets. The 3 spinners seem ok at dragging it back and chipping out some wickets. Those same guys are also OK with the bat at almost rescuing the top order failure into something almost semi-respectable.

Looks like Hancock hasn't played since game 1 of the quad series, presumably injured?

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah, I remember the Under 19 team had tours to England in '89 and '96. Both teams produced a number of future internationals and first class stalwarts. Even a Married at First Sight relationship expert.

nzfan

Disappointingly there are no fast bowling stock coming through the age group. 2016 WC had Ben Sears, Zac Gibson, Nathan Smith, Ros ter braak in the bowling line up. Shame they had to bowl in Bangladesh. That attack in NZ would have been devastating. Fast forward two years later i.e. 2018 Jan-Feb we had Fischer and another bloke I can't remember from Canterbury the only two fast bowlers out of which one got injured before the start of the WC from memory. We played with 1 quick bowler through out the tournament. Wonder how's our stock this year?

nzfan

Yes falling off the global pace. (Two wins they've had. One came when they were down 0-3 to Bangladesh already, then that silly choke loss from Zimbabwe).

Despite the mountain of new money that's come into the game, international U19 cricket seems like it was more of a priority of the NZ national board in the 1990s than it is now. U19 tours were treated with a sort of grandfatherly fondness by a Don Neely or Christopher Doig, that slightly more high-flown but really nice sort of cricket person. In this current era, it's as if it took the actual son of the CEO being one of the players to make it slightly less neglected, but it was too little too late.

Whether New Zealand is also getting towards being a bit of a cricketing microclimate that just doesn't lend itself towards creating really crafty and export-grade cricketers anymore, that's an interesting question. Pitches that don't turn or deteriorate a lot, nice short boundaries for aggressive but less than pure ballstriking. The disappointing thing has been a lack of any real appetite to venture outwards and become more sophisticated. That burden is shouldered by parent-funded outfits like the Willows tours (South Island) and the Hutt Hawks (Wellington), but I don't really hear of a Northern Districts equivalent to this. They'd pit their better teenagers against men where ND is split into its six districts, which is okay as a mental challenge, probably not a great technical challenge. A potential recipe there for 'all hat and no cattle' cricketers.
I am following Hutt Hawks on their facebook page. Jesse Tashkoff and Fergus Lellman two lads that have done all right are part of the Hutt Hawks group. It seems these two along with Devan Vishvaka the kid that scored lots of runs in the national tournament have already played against first class and franchise outfits in India. No wonder these are bit more matured cricketers. They have played in the same team as who's who of NZ Domestic cricket representing Hutt Hawks in India. Unfortunately Devan Vishvaka didn't make the cut.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Tie first up for Australia, little dissapointing to see plenty of batsman getting starts and not going on with it, but I guess if there is a time to do that the warm up game is it. Notionally I believe there is a fair bit of talent in the squad but playing so little cricket together as a unit is less than ideal. Big contrast to the Bangladesh team who have played a lot together with decent success, fair to assume they would far more well oiled as a team. A lot of the batting will rely on the players (Harvey, JFM, Scott) who have already had a taste of domestic cricket. Bowling looks good without absolutely standing out, from what I have seen Willans, Marshall, Simpson and even CKelly on his day all probably bowl low to mid 130s, Sully is apparently sharp but I haven't seen enough of to really be sure. Spinwise Sangha gives it a fair rip and has a good wrong'un, where as Murphy is more a containing type offie

Starting XI guess

Scott (RHB, RM)
Davies (RHB, OB)
Harvey (LHB)
Hearne (LHB)
Fraser-McGurk (RHB, LB)
Rowe (RHB, WK)
Kelly (RHB, RFM)
Murphy (LHB, OB)
Sangha (RHB, LBG)
Marshall (RFM) / Sully (RFM?)
Willans (LFM)

nzfan

Tie first up for Australia, little dissapointing to see plenty of batsman getting starts and not going on with it, but I guess if there is a time to do that the warm up game is it. Notionally I believe there is a fair bit of talent in the squad but playing so little cricket together as a unit is less than ideal. Big contrast to the Bangladesh team who have played a lot together with decent success, fair to assume they would far more well oiled as a team. A lot of the batting will rely on the players (Harvey, JFM, Scott) who have already had a taste of domestic cricket. Bowling looks good without absolutely standing out, from what I have seen Willans, Marshall, Simpson and even CKelly on his day all probably bowl low to mid 130s, Sully is apparently sharp but I haven't seen enough of to really be sure. Spinwise Sangha gives it a fair rip and has a good wrong'un, where as Murphy is more a containing type offie

Starting XI guess

Scott (RHB, RM)
Davies (RHB, OB)
Harvey (LHB)
Hearne (LHB)
Fraser-McGurk (RHB, LB)
Rowe (RHB, WK)
Kelly (RHB, RFM)
Murphy (LHB, OB)
Sangha (RHB, LBG)
Marshall (RFM) / Sully (RFM?)
Willans (LFM)
Is there any relationship of this Sangha with Jason Sangha? I remember Jason Sangha the captain of the under 19 Australian side couple of years ago. A very well spoken and a mature cricketer then. Is he with NSW? Is he going well?