• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

Flem274*

123/5
His action (Ish) has really fallen to bits. I was talking to someone last week and they reckon he has the yips, God knows why he’s even playing if that is the case.
imagine if instead of getting fixed up he was thrown into touring australia in a couple of weeks...

jcas0167

International Debutant
Bugger. Dropped into EPOO twice yesterday to watch some play, today assumed at 5-150 the game was heading to a sedate draw, so went for a post-work beer and didn't check on scores.

I watched ND beat Auckland in Ford Trophy earlier this season, with Joe Walker taking some key wickets with his off-spin, perhaps ND selectors have the wrong spinner in the Plunket Shield side?
Blocky rated Walker above Sodhi and Santner. Might be vindicated again :)

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I was thinking after the first 5 wickets Santa and Sodhi were going to run through Aces but not to be. I can understand the pitches are not all that conducive but they struggled to contain runs as well. No disrespect to Horne, he's a decent player but you'd think given the experience of Ish and Santner they would work out how to bowl on this deck and get into the tail quickly. They still had a chance to knock over the tail but still couldn't do it. Both Sodhi and Santner should play good number of Plunkett shield in the years to come. It'll help them nail it in red ball cricket if they are still aspiring for red ball cricket that is.

Awesome knock by both Chapman and Horne after the top three big guns went without contributing heavily.

vandem

International 12th Man
I was thinking after the first 5 wickets Santa and Sodhi were going to run through Aces but not to be. I can understand the pitches are not all that conducive but they struggled to contain runs as well....
The wicket was on the edge of the block, made it a very short hit to the Sandringham Rd boundary.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ish's body language after he got hit for that last 4 to lose the game I think says a lot about how he's feeling about his FC bowling.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The wicket was on the edge of the block, made it a very short hit to the Sandringham Rd boundary.
That makes sense - that 'six' Ferguson hit looked like a chip that should barely pass the 30m circle.

Ish's body language after he got hit for that last 4 to lose the game I think says a lot about how he's feeling about his FC bowling.
That shot could've gone absolutely anywhere - I would've been ambivalent too. It's very very strange that Sodhi bowled so few overs, especially earlier in the day when ND still had lots of runs to play with. That said, I didn't like how he bowled in the T20s vs India and surely it's right that he's low on confidence.

In theory, he's 27 and should be yet to hit his peak as a spin bowler, and with Astle, Somerville and to some extent Santner falling off the wagon, he could in theory play test cricket again. I'm not confident that he'll make it though.

nzfan

Fair enough then.... in any case the ground even when the center block is used is relatively small. Outer oval is the worst domestic ground particularly for plunkett shield. Batsman's runs should be cut by half for average 8-)

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

He fought Cameron Slater? Who the **** cooked that up? That is ridiculous.
Was a huge mismatch and highly embarrassing for Slater. Slater had slagged him off quite a bit at the time I think, and was talking up how he was gonna smash Ryder. Ryder had the same nonchalant boxing technique as he did batting, just casually knocked Slater into the middle of next week. Was a pretty great moment tbh.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ryder used to hang out at the Naenae boxing gym all the time when he lived in Wellington. Had pretty sound technique, and obviously plenty of muscle behind it.

nzfan

Dude will drink himself to death before 50
Taylor and Ryder, two lads from Wairarapa. It’s a sporting town all right and produced All Blacks captain as well but kind of a sleepy town Masterton. Before Taylor moved on to Palmie and Ryder to Napier these two used to play for the same school. Ryder opened and Taylor at no.5 There is no reason why Ryder wouldn’t have been better than Taylor or Williamson but for Ryder’s love for drinking. He’s actually a nice bloke but just chose wrong company.

One is at the top of the world and extremely well respected around the world, the other fell away big time and now struggling to cope with life let alone cricket. Many tried to help him but gave up eventually. It’s a shame really, Ryder could have been the best ever New Zealand batsman.

Reminds me of the time when first time Tylor was seen by Martin Crowe, he left the ground saying Taylor was nothing special but just a dirty slogger. Obviously that changed over the years and he ended up being a mentor. Unfortunately for Ryder he had no mentors in cricketing circles. Sure you can have people from other walks of life helping but it’s nothing like a mentor that’s been there and done it in cricket.

thierry henry

International Coach
Ish himself doesn't seem to think so, so this is either old news, a massive difference opinion between Ish himself and other people around the squad, or just BS from your mate.

He was down in confidence early in the season but he's actually feeling great about his red ball bowling at the moment, at least from a training perspective. Obviously not having a great time of it in this game but he was full of confidence going into it with no yips detected.
You guys rattling on like you're personal mates with Ish but I know damn well neither of you have one of his old test match bats to use for Senior Bs....

Mike5181

International Captain
Was a huge mismatch and highly embarrassing for Slater. Slater had slagged him off quite a bit at the time I think, and was talking up how he was gonna smash Ryder. Ryder had the same nonchalant boxing technique as he did batting, just casually knocked Slater into the middle of next week. Was a pretty great moment tbh.
The Mark Watson one was probably the best thing Ryder ever did.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Taylor and Ryder, two lads from Wairarapa. It’s a sporting town all right and produced All Blacks captain as well but kind of a sleepy town Masterton. Before Taylor moved on to Palmie and Ryder to Napier these two used to play for the same school. Ryder opened and Taylor at no.5 There is no reason why Ryder wouldn’t have been better than Taylor or Williamson but for Ryder’s love for drinking. He’s actually a nice bloke but just chose wrong company.

One is at the top of the world and extremely well respected around the world, the other fell away big time and now struggling to cope with life let alone cricket. Many tried to help him but gave up eventually. It’s a shame really, Ryder could have been the best ever New Zealand batsman.

Reminds me of the time when first time Tylor was seen by Martin Crowe, he left the ground saying Taylor was nothing special but just a dirty slogger. Obviously that changed over the years and he ended up being a mentor. Unfortunately for Ryder he had no mentors in cricketing circles. Sure you can have people from other walks of life helping but it’s nothing like a mentor that’s been there and done it in cricket.
a 3 4 5 of Kane-Taylor-Ryder would've been pretty ****ing epic

The Hutt Rec

The Mark Watson one was probably the best thing Ryder ever did.
Oh I was thinking of the Mark Watson one with Watson slagging him off, but the rest were legit Cameron Slater memories haha.

I remember going on whaleoil afterwards to see the reaction and the people in the comments were saying thing like “I really believed he was going to do it” :laugh: