• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict the XIs for the first Ashes test.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** that’s a junk top three. I thought we were struggling*.

* we are

Is that Joffra Archer you have in your side?
Yes it is Joffra Archer, though it may be Wood now after yesterdays exploits.

As for the top order it is terrible but has been for ages so no change there.

Burgey

Does Archer play much FC cricket? I genuinely wouldn’t know. If he does I’m surprised he hasn’t had a call up before - brings genuine heat.

flibbertyjibber

He does, not qualified yet or he would be in Windies series now. He has a great record for Sussex and would add depth to the lower order batting too.

Qualifies in March, would imagine he will debut against Ireland and may even make the World Cup squad as well.

Last edited:

Burgey

Where’s he qualifying from? Is he of West Indian descent? I thought he was from Hobart tbh

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Born in Barbados, played a bit of U19 cricket for WI. Think Chris Jordan was quite involved in convincing him to throw his lot in with England

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't really noticed any articles really? Unless you're looking at stuff like The Roar which shouldn't count.

As for comments...people are morons.
Saw a great one on The Roar arguing that Paine should be given an OAM, but dropped for his strike rate.

Woodster

International Captain
Ok, yes the Aussie tea, I think is a little easier to predict at this point, for me Smith and Warner will come straight back into the XI, rightly or wrongly, can't really see any other bowling attack that Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins.

The England XI requires more crystal ball guesswork, I'm going for this........

1. Burns
2. Browne
3. Root
4. Pope
5. Buttler
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Moeen
9. Wood / Archer
10. Broad
11. Anderson

I think if Wood shows yesterday's spell wasn't a one-off and he produces consistent spells like that and retains his fitness then he gets the nod, but it'll be good to have a player like Archer pushing the attack and may well get a start later in the series. More likely he'll be part of the World Cup XI.

Nick Browne for me gets the other opening spot, very Strauss-like in his style of play and surprised he hasn't had a chance yet. Will need big runs for Essex at the start of the season.

I'm going to have a think about the number four spot, at this moment in time I think they rate Pope highly and will look to get him back in the side, but this could purely be a form selection based on County Championship runs, anyone from Ian Bell to Dawid Malan can seal this spot with a few centuries for their county.

Cow

Banned
England could have 2 of the 3 fastest bowlers in an Ashes. Maybe haven’t had that since 2005.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He does, not qualified yet or he would be in Windies series now. He has a great record for Sussex and would add depth to the lower order batting too.

Qualifies in March, would imagine he will debut against Ireland and may even make the World Cup squad as well.
crincinfo says not til 2022/23.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England could have 2 of the 3 fastest bowlers in an Ashes. Maybe haven’t had that since 2005.
Only one of Archer and Wood will play, and Wood will probably break down again anyway because that's what he does.

crincinfo says not til 2022/23.
England went back to the old rules rather conveniently just before a World Cup. Perhaps they realised Plunkett wasn't the bowler to carry them through.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Think this will be the side's

1.Burns
2.Gubbins
3.Denly
4.Root
5.Bairstow
6.Stokes
7.Foakes (wk)
8.Moeen
9.Wood
10.Broad
11.Anderson

12. S.Curran

OZ

1.Warner
2,Burns
3.Smith
4.Khawaja
5.Head
6.Stonis
7.Paine (wk)
8.Starc
9.Cummins
10.Hazelwood
11.Lyon

Tom Flint

International Regular
Buttler will play. No way ginger deserves to bat 5 ahead of him on the last 12 months form. It's either 3 or 7 and keep for him.
Duckett was always dealt with badly like carvery was only had one sub continent tour and was dropped. Plays pace well and I think he has the big scores in his locker even though I reckon he'll go cheaply often too. Just had a good lions knock and if he starts well for Notts in div 1 opening I reckon jennings' spot is his.
Gubbins has barely scored a run in 18 months!

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yeah I know the teams I would like to play are also completely different to the teams I think they will actually pick

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
My England side for first test would be

Burns
Denly
S..Curran
Root
Foakes (wk)
Bairstow
Stokes
Woakes
Broad
Anderson
Leach

TheJediBrah

Looks like England's top 3 will be trash but their middle/lower order will be very strong. I'd trust Woakes to make more runs himself than any of the top-3s named