• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Poor from Mendis. Openers battled and he and Fernando have not even bothered getting themselves in.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Fernando isn’t going to die wondering. Playing at everything with hard hands.
Well they really need to get a momentum swing going, quick runs in a chase are golden, only way to win from here is to get Faf reaching for the panic button when the runs start flowing, Dimuth was probably the only guy in the order who actually had the temperament and technique to go the distance but a few solid cameos is our best bet now.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Man how many spliced pull shots have we seen from Fernando lol, pitch is showing some pretty serious variable bounce now, probably a bit two-paced going by how difficult timing the ball seems to be off the back foot

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Faf probably made the call there, was just watching SL inch closer while in no real danger, similar to day one, smart call, very interested to see what the approach is tomorrow morning

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Embuldeniya's performance after a nervous start on day one is honestly huge from a SL perspective, the England series really exposed our spin unit as lacking penetration against batsmen who made good plans and were prepared to sweep, use their feet and be patient. I'm slowly coming round to the notion that SL could still be a potent force at home, perhaps with Sandakan turning the ball the other way and providing his variations and Lakmal actually getting some pace bowling support from a guy like Fernando - wonder if he's any good at getting it to reverse, although you'd think Kumara remains the no 1 choice once he recovers.

Speaking of Fernando, although the quality of pace bowlers coming through doesn't seem to be much better than ever before, the coaching must have improved a bit, Lakmal averaged 65 after 14 tests iirc, but has dragged it down to under 40 since and has earned a reputation around the world as the leader of our attack. Fernando has been pegging away at the fringes since about 2014 and has shown he can get it in the right areas and get it to move around enough to trouble good batsmen, Rajitha seems to have the most raw potential, with good pace, natural movement and generates some good carry, a couple more years in the SL system and he might be able to hone in on his accuracy and get the ball moving more consistently. The hardest part is keeping these guys on the park - are we ever going to see the best of Nuwan Pradeep again? Is Chameera going to get a chance to develop properly?

The batting remains a really important issue however, very little of substance can be talked about, Dimuth has been disappointing, he's gone back to his 2014 days and been unable to convert starts, Matthews and Chandimal need to come back strong. But it looks like Mendis and DdS will be in danger of losing their spots, particularly if Fernando and Kusal Janith continue to show promise, which is a real shame because they appeared to show rare talent, particularly around 2016. Thirimanne might not even get one more test, one feels they took Kaushal Silva on tour in case Thiri didn't get a score in the first test, he hasn't converted a single start since getting back into the team and has proven a liability in the field.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Have fought better than thought they would though to be honest in this test, good start for the left arm spinner, SA have problems with their top 3 though...Markram alwayhs seems out of form, Elgar inconsistent, and Amla defo near end of career..

Woodster

International Captain
I’m not sure too many expect a SL win tomorrow but the fact they’re going into what will be the last day of the Test (weather permitting) and still with a chance, albeit a slim one, of taking a lead in the series is more than I thought they’d achieve. I just couldn’t conceivably see anything other than SA brushing them aside with relative ease.

A fighting display to this point from SL, just hope they don’t fall apart in the opening session tomorrow, I’m hoping for a few useful partnerships to make it competitive, but still can’t see them taking it too close.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh I understand what you mean now. Usually when someone lumps praise on the losing team for 'at least taking it to final day' it's when they take it to day 5 right? Guess they did well to bowl SA out twice though

Woodster

International Captain
Oh I understand what you mean now. Usually when someone lumps praise on the losing team for 'at least taking it to final day' it's when they take it to day 5 right? Guess they did well to bowl SA out twice though
I wasn’t lumping praise on them for taking it to the final day, I was praising them for still having a chance of victory going into what will be the last day of the Test. Commendable achievement considering the odds against them doing so.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be awesome to see these two whack on another hundred runs. Would set up a grandstand finish. SL have done really well by the looks.