• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis vs Brett Lee (ODIs)

Better ODI bowler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waqar. Without looking at any records, because Lee was **** and probably the most over rated odi bowler of all time.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah there is no shame in saying you enjoyed watching the athlete with a smooth run up charge in with a strong action and bowl at his speeds. Each ball was like an event. It was fun too watch.

Can't choose between them though.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
ER for both of them is pretty ordinary. For comparison, Bumrah in present era has better ER than both. Their value though was in the wickets they took. Waqar as 13 fivers (most for any bowler) and Lee has 9. Both have superb SRs too. Their stats are uncannily similar. Hard to split.

Flem274*

123/5
lee couldn't bowl at the death to save his life. back when those mental 300+ chases in the chappell hadlee were a novelty i couldn't wait for mcgrath and bracken to sod off so lee could send down some no balls and long hops

TheJediBrah

I'm as big a Waqar fanboi as anyone but Lee pips him, for mine.
This. Peak Lee with the new white ball was absolutely unplayable. Accurate big 155kph outswingers at will. Probably one of the unluckiest ODI bowlers too, he'd often go for 50+ in 10 overs with 30 of those runs from edges to the boundary. I've still never seen anyone as unplayable as Lee with the white ball, too bad he couldn't replicate it in Tests.

If i could cheat I'd choose Lee with the new ball and Waqar with the old.

Flem274*

123/5
he was a new ball bully. as soon as it stopped moving the pie factory commenced production with bonus wides and no balls to boot.

nathan bracken was twice the bowler.

smash84

The Tiger King
this thread deserves some waqar reverse

I had quite forgotten just how quick Waqar was when he first burst on to the scene

Burgey

This. Peak Lee with the new white ball was absolutely unplayable. Accurate big 155kph outswingers at will. Probably one of the unluckiest ODI bowlers too, he'd often go for 50+ in 10 overs with 30 of those runs from edges to the boundary. I've still never seen anyone as unplayable as Lee with the white ball, too bad he couldn't replicate it in Tests.

If i could cheat I'd choose Lee with the new ball and Waqar with the old.
His peak was about four matches. He was a terrible death bowler. Shouldn’t be in the Australian AT odi side let alone in contention for a world one. Such an over rated bowler

Bolo

State Captain
Does anyone remember a game where a bat survived a fair amount of time vs an absolute peak Waqar spell?
Could anyone predict the swing (almost) out the hand reasonably? So little time

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Lee was a tiny bit better in ODIs in my opinion. Played a crucial part in 2003 world cup victory. The fact that he had a slightly moderate test career makes people under-rate him in ODIs.