• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson vs Glenn McGrath - Similarities and differences

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That just simply isn't true. His Ashes record is really not that flash.
He has 2 excellent series in Australia, and 2 mediocre ones, one where he should never been picked (2006) and one where he bowled injured and was on a hiding to nothing due to repeated batting failures (2013, pretty sure Anderson's first innings bowling in that series was decent)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Still averages over 32 against Aus if you take out 2006/07

also averages nearly 33 against SA. Never realised before but seems like he was a real bully of minnow and Asian teams
He's never really done himself justice in South Africa - England have only had 3 tours in his career, one of which he played 1 Test in in 04/05, he bowled fine in 2009/10, and he was injured for 14/15.

Slifer

International Captain
He has 2 excellent series in Australia, and 2 mediocre ones, one where he should never been picked (2006) and one where he bowled injured and was on a hiding to nothing due to repeated batting failures (2013, pretty sure Anderson's first innings bowling in that series was decent)
Bro Anderson sucks in the ashes, stop with the excuses.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think Anderson is to bowling as Cook is to batting. Great bowler who fits in that null space between atvg and atg.

greg

International Debutant
Perhaps a more productive debate to be had, given especially the difficulties between comparing different bowlers of different types in different eras is to ask who are the most valuable players to their teams (ie. who had the most differential influence on team performance).

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perhaps a more productive debate to be had, given especially the difficulties between comparing different bowlers of different types in different eras is to ask who are the most valuable players to their teams (ie. who had the most differential influence on team performance).
Well that isn't much fairer. A player like Garner would rate quite low and a Kapil quite high.

greg

International Debutant
Well that isn't much fairer. A player like Garner would rate quite low and a Kapil quite high.
I think you misunderstand. It’s unfair if you see it as a proxy for “who was the best bowler”. But I just think it’s an interesting alternative debate worth having in itself.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think you misunderstand. It’s unfair if you see it as a proxy for “who was the best bowler”. But I just think it’s an interesting alternative debate worth having in itself.
It seems I did indeed.

Hard to go past Hadlee. Got so many daddy hauls playing for a weak team. A true match winner..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson from 2013-18 = Gooch from 1988-1993?
Gooch's period of excellence is a bit briefer than that. He didn't really move up a gear until being made captain in 1990. From memory he was really poor in 1989, probably respectable in 1988. Again from memory, I think his form tailed off in 1993, but he was getting on by then.

It's important to note that Anderson hasn't played Bangladesh or Zimbabwe away. He's played them twice at home. His figures aren't stat padded. (Nor are McGrath's).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
There was very little difference to McGrath's wicket taking prowess between home and away. He was the same threat in South Africa that he was in India or West Indies. Anderson falls way behind McGrath simply because he is just not the same Anderson when he goes outside of England. This isn't to say he is a bad bowler or Clouderson. He is still extremely skillful to be a potent bowler, but he is not going to bowl in South Africa or India the way he bowls in England. And yes one good series in India (2012) and Australia (2010) does not change this. And this is where the whole ATG status comes in and why there's really no such thing as ATVG.

If you look at an ATG bowler's record like McGrath's you will find his entire career filled with performances like Anderson's India 2012 or Australia 2010. Anderson belongs in a tier or two below where he will have a handful of great away performances over the course of his career, which still places him comfortably ahead of most of his current peers, but considerably behind the ATGs.