• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England’s best-ever Test XI – ECB survey

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Fans were invited to pick their team from over 100 players ranging from WG Grace in the 1880s to current Test captain Joe Root in a survey completed by over 6,000 England cricket fans.

There is no place for legends such as Grace, Jack Hobbs, Denis Compton, Wally Hammond, Ken Barrington, Peter May, Derek Underwood, Jim Laker or Sydney Barnes.

After two weeks of voting and, with some selections coming down to only three votes, the ECB announced the outcome of their survey on Monday.

England’s best-ever Test XI – ECB survey

Alastair Cook
Sir Len Hutton
David Gower
Kevin Pietersen
Joe Root
Sir Ian Botham
Alan Knott (wk)
Graeme Swann
Fred Trueman
James Anderson
Bob Willis

Joe Root said: “To be selected in the best-ever England men’s Test XI side by cricket fans across the country is incredibly humbling.

“When I think of some of the incredible players who haven’t made the cut, legends of the game such as Denis Compton and Wally Hammond, I’m not sure I would have voted for myself, but I certainly want to thank the fans for thinking of me.

“It’s great to see my current teammates Alastair Cook and James Anderson be recognised for their contributions to England Test cricket too.”
https://www.wisden.com/stories/features/england-best-test-team

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Which Eng fans from here voted on this ECB poll?? :ph34r:

As a comparison CW - All time Eng Xi

England XI
1 J Hobbs
2 L Hutton
3 W Hammond
4 K Barrington
5 D Compton
6 I Botham
7 A Knott+
8 H Larwood
9 J Laker
10 F Trueman
11 S Barnes

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Awful. Joe Root cannot even convert a 50 and why the heck people would choose Cook over Hobbs (or Sutcliffe).

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The omission of Hobbs, Hammond and Barnes is a travesty beyond simply the unforgivable. I'll take Hobbs at 50 over a hundred Cook's. Hammond is no doubt the greatest English middle order batsman. Barnes over Anderson is a no contest too. Anderson just hasn't ever been that good though his durability is astonishing. Laker over Swann too. Compton as England's post war superstar deserves a place. Laker over Swann too although this one isn't that absurd.
Mine would be identical to the CW XI.

Pietersen, Cook and Anderson should come nowhere near an all time XI.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Where's Broady? :laugh:

Alastair Cook
Sir Len Hutton
David Gower
Kevin Pietersen
Joe Root
Sir Ian Botham
Alan Knott (wk)
Graeme Swann
Fred Trueman
James Anderson
Bob Willis

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
These sorts of polls always tend to gave a very strong recency bias, produces some questionable results. Most ridiculous of all was a BBC one back in summer, can see no logic at all in picking Jimmy 34.55 Anderson in an all time Ashes squad

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Graeme Swann is the best one

Not sure why anyone here would expect much better from a survey of largely casual fans though

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ridic team. This is correct, imo.

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
May
Compton
Botham
Ames
Larwood
Barnes
Trueman
Laker

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Since they filled the team up with currentt players and commentators/rhose in public eye I'm surprised Bairstow, Mooen Ali, Broad, Nasser H, and Vaughan didn't make the side too.