• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular batsman for a top side

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Daren Ganga? 48 tests with an average of 25 batting either an an opener or number 3.

Never understood him either because his technique was excellent as was his cricket brain. Just one of those things I guess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Daren Ganga? 48 tests with an average of 25 batting either an an opener or number 3.

Never understood him either because his technique was excellent as was his cricket brain. Just one of those things I guess.
Something just always told us all that if you reset subtle parts of the universe he'd have come out averaging 40 instead. And it was that part of us that kept thinking he was the best option moving forward.

See also: Devon Smith.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Something just always told us all that if you reset subtle parts of the universe he'd have come out averaging 40 instead. And it was that part of us that kept thinking he was the best option moving forward.

The West Indian Ramprakash

Beamer

International Vice-Captain

This, absolutely. He even ended up as captain for a bit as he was an excellent leader too.

I find Ganga's stats more perplexing than Devon's tbh. Ganga had no real technical flaws apart from the ability to get out to excellent deliveries :laugh:. He really was solid before getting out.

Devon does have a touch of lazy footwork which means top quality seamers can consistently get him caught behind pushing forward too late or off spinners can get him missing straight ones that are pushed through (see Hafeez vs Devon). So I can kind of understand his lack of performance more.

Dendarii

International Debutant
He made up for it in the field... should increase his avg by 15.
And his low average was the result of a slump in the middle of his career - he averaged over 40 for his first couple of years of test cricket and also for his last few years. While I'll admit to being biased because he was such an iconic figure while I was growing up, I'm not convinced he belongs in this discussion.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think every top class bowler at the time managed to make him look a ****ing idiot. He was great against spin at home but did almost nothing of note against top class bowling away. What especially annoys me is how some think he was revolutionary. Definitely flattered by the average.
But he made legendary spinners look foolish. That is a rare feat a batsman can achieve.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Yes, the same issue Jehan Mubarak had. Just didn't click at top level. Great captaincy, great cricketing knowledge, top echelon fielder, monster in FCC, but flopped in internationals.

Slifer

International Captain
I don't care what stats say but Adrian Griffith, stuart Williams and Devon Smith (all from Wi)come to mind when this type of topic comes up. Smh

TheJediBrah

Vandort was a decent test player, averaged 37 with the bat.
He freaked me out tbh. He was just so weirdly tall and skinny like some kind of alien and it made me uncomfortable for some reason. Like if he bends the wrong way he'll snap.

Daemon

He freaked me out tbh. He was just so weirdly tall and skinny like some kind of alien and it made me uncomfortable for some reason. Like if he bends the wrong way he'll snap.
Sulieman Benn and Zulfiqar Babar give me this. Very spidery sort of limbs.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Guy was like a slimmer version of Hayden. Has very broad shoulders, and extremely powerful too. Could crank up quite a pace with the ball as well. Never realized his potential and power he carried in his frame due to is docile mindset. Instead of being able to hit 130s with medium pace, bowled lazy off breaks. The medium pace bowling I hjave seen him doing in nets were truely scary due to the steep bounce he was getting.

And the guy you are referring to is Nuwan Zoysa. He is THE Asian version of Bruce Reid.