• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Stokes the most overrated player in the history of cricket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More of a batter than a keeper, as far as I know though I could be wrong. Not saying he wasn't great but really, teams only started picking keepers who could bat well post-Gilly. Of course before him, there were Knott and Ames but Gilly made it cool.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Stokes is a mercurial cricketer and an entertainer rather than a bloke who plods along at a consistent level. They’re often good to watch because they’re always a chance of being in the game while always giving you a chance to take them out of it quickly too. Makes the game more interesting.

Unfortunately what you say above is true, but I'd rather my team play play against such cricketers in test than root for them as I just disagree with his crap 6th bat and crap 5th bowler role.

To me they ride their luck, and not harness their skill within the percentages.

In limited overs cricket, I think their philosophy carries more weight where calculation of the percentages is a greater skill, though and the need for 5 bowlers is compulsory.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Must have let my personal judgement get in the way then. Cook and Anderson should get high praises for durability and temperament but that's about it.
Anderson has been playing tests since 2003. He's a great bowler IMO and durability for a fast bowler is an essential attribute

Mr Miyagi

Banned
More of a batter than a keeper, as far as I know though I could be wrong. Not saying he wasn't great but really, teams only started picking keepers who could bat well post-Gilly. Of course before him, there were Knott and Ames but Gilly made it cool.
lol. #forgetsFlower #whereisStewart #Gillyinventedbatting #forgetaboutTilikiratne

I mean Aussies may believe this, those who were weren't Aus cricket fans before Wayne Phillips.

Gilly changed the fortunes of Australian cricket to become a better powerhouse, but the rest of the nations were playing around with wicket keeper batsmen for a long long long long long time.

There was nothing novel about Gilly, just like Kalu going big in the first 15 overs wasn't original in a World Cup. But hey, if the legend sticks, who am I to fight it?

Last edited:

Burgey

Stewart was a hack keeper-batsman. One of the worst decisions made in a crap era for England was giving him the gloves. if they’d stuck with Russell and let Stewart just bat in the top three he’d have been a total gun.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Stewart was a hack keeper-batsman. One of the worst decisions made in a crap era for England was giving him the gloves. if they’d stuck with Russell and let Stewart just bat in the top three he’d have been a total gun.
Is this true though? Over a career of 400 odd first class matches Stewart just averaged 40.

Burgey

Yeah but in how many of them did he have the gloves? The real crime for England in that era was leaving Russell out. Fmd that bloke was a brilliant keeper.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Is this true though? Over a career of 400 odd first class matches Stewart just averaged 40.
No it isn't true. It is a common misconception that overlooks that Stewart was weak as piss against spin no matter how much he smashed fastest bowling. When not keeping, Stewart mostly opened, and smashed fast bowlers for the first umpteen overs instead of having to face spinners. As such his averages are disproportionate, but easily explained.

Stewart was dynamite against the fastest bowler, but a walking wicket against a useful spinner.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah but in how many of them did he have the gloves? The real crime for England in that era was leaving Russell out. Fmd that bloke was a brilliant keeper.

He was a brilliant keeper.

But I think England were better and stronger with Stewart.

Just like Australia were better with Gilly, no matter how much Warne cries Healy was the better keeper.

Runs matter.

#Flower

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah but the point is Stewart bats in the top three without the gloves and they bat Russell at seven. Look at the crap they picked at seven anyway. Spuds like Mark Ealham ffs. Russell’s career is a travesty.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah but the point is Stewart bats in the top three without the gloves and they bat Russell at seven. Look at the crap they picked at seven anyway. Spuds like Mark Ealham ffs. Russell’s career is a travesty.
Hey - Chris Lewis is personal favourite of mine. Don't disregard the best Playgirl centrefold and best cricketer to invite to a party in the entire 1990's.

Burgey

How much better would England have been in the early 90s if they played:

Gooch
Atherspud
Stewart
Hussain
Smith
Thorpe
Russell

as a top seven? You could sub out Smith when there was a spinner in the opposition side but play him against SA and the Windies.

Or just transplant his forearms onto someone else. Best forearms in Cricket history.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
How much better would England have been in the early 90s if they played:

Gooch
Atherspud
Stewart
Hussain
Smith
Thorpe
Russell

as a top seven? You could sub out Smith when there was a spinner in the opposition side but play him against SA and the Windies.

Or just transplant his forearms onto someone else. Best forearms in Cricket history.

Best zinc lip balm too since Billy McDermott

TheJediBrah

He was a brilliant keeper.

But I think England were better and stronger with Stewart.

Just like Australia were better with Gilly, no matter how much Warne cries Healy was the better keeper.

Runs matter.

#Flower
Flower was barely even a keeper m8. Why is it so important to you to try and discredit Gilchrist any way you can? He's a top bloke.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course he’s overrated. England have been overrating their best players for years to try and stay on the level of other cricket nations.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Probably people jumped the gun a bit in liking him to Fred and Both - the English love inebriated allrounders.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Ames played 3 Tests as a batsman and 44 as a keeper, and all his 8 Test hundreds were as a keeper. (He also has the FC record for most stumpings).

Status
Not open for further replies.