• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Stokes the most overrated player in the history of cricket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes as a bowler is very agressive and at the batsman type of bowler, creates a fair few chances but can also tend to be expensive. Will never be an especially reliable bowler, but very good as a 4th seamer for his ability to charge in and make things happen.

Can't trust him with reviews either.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
He was not even a fast bowler imo, looked like a shot put thrower.

You mean javellin. Like Jeff "Thommo" Thompson and Marchant de Lange.

It is the most efficient way to get extra pace on the ball without arm bending, but most likely effect costs accuracy and probably swing levels.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
You mean javellin. Like Jeff "Thommo" Thompson and Marchant de Lange.

It is the most efficient way to get extra pace on the ball without arm bending, but most likely effect costs accuracy and probably swing levels.
At least they resembled fast bowlers, Atul Sharma was too bulked up to be called a fast bowler.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
At least they resembled fast bowlers, Atul Sharma was too bulked up to be called a fast bowler.

Thommo doesn't just resemble a fast bowler. He is the epitome thereof!

I seriously do not know why in NZ we don't go round and sign all the failed 1st XV rugby union locks (these are tall people 6'6" and above) and teach them two actions, McGrath and Thommo, maybe Hadlee as well if they passed 7th form, and see what bowlers we can make out of them.

Borges

International Regular
I seriously do not know why in NZ we don't go round and sign all the failed 1st XV rugby union locks (these are tall people 6'6" and above) and teach them two actions, McGrath and Thommo, maybe Hadlee as well if they passed 7th form, and see what bowlers we can make out of them.
What's the point of all this if you don't want to / can't afford to play test cricket?

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
I think England on the whole over-rate all-rounders a tad. When you look at the stats, both Flintoff and Stokes are fairly similar. On their day, both top performers however not really much of a middle ground. We're in an era now where there aren't really any exceptional all-rounders there. With Stokes and Flintoff, a career average (in Stokes's case so far) they aren't great with either.

Stokes - Bat: 35 Ball: 34
Flintoff - Bat: 32 Ball: 33

Botham - Bat 34 Ball: 28
Kallis - Bat 55 Ball: 33
Khan - Bat: 38 Ball: 23
Sobers - Bat: 58 Ball: 34
Shakib - Bat: 40 Ball: 32

When you look at all of the great all-rounders they have been awesome at one thing and decent at another. Stokes is a decent batter and a decent bowler. I think it's probably a case with Stokes where his batting is over-rated and inconsistent. He can look a million dollars and other times his technique can look rank. His bowling, in my opinion is a bit under-rated and he adds to England a bit of aggression which is something that Anderson, Woakes, Broad and Wood do not have. So at the moment yes, a decent player but a bit over-rated.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I think England on the whole over-rate all-rounders a tad. When you look at the stats, both Flintoff and Stokes are fairly similar. On their day, both top performers however not really much of a middle ground. We're in an era now where there aren't really any exceptional all-rounders there. With Stokes and Flintoff, a career average (in Stokes's case so far) they aren't great with either.

When you look at all of the great all-rounders they have been awesome at one thing and decent at another. Stokes is a decent batter and a decent bowler. I think it's probably a case with Stokes where his batting is over-rated and inconsistent. He can look a million dollars and other times his technique can look rank. His bowling, in my opinion is a bit under-rated and he adds to England a bit of aggression which is something that Anderson, Woakes, Broad and Wood do not have. So at the moment yes, a decent player but a bit over-rated.
Shane Watson has called for a review of this post.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Legendary Kiwi poster Smudge will be disappointed if this is the heir to his legacy of genius.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I wouldn't worry, I don't think anyone has reached the stage where they get your humour yet
JediBrah, if Burgey doesn't even always see where my humour is going (see my sig) - do you really think you're my target audience? No offence.

Whether people on here get my humour or not does not phase me. There are incredibly intelligent people on here like vcs. And I know I make them chuckle from time to time by virtue of their latent likes on my posts. Whether you get it or not while questioning whether English is my first language or not, isn't my primary concern. I seriously don't care if you're a gay black man if you bowl mean af tweak or hit it for six.

Just be reassured I am avoiding ad hoiminem, and I deplore racism and prejudices that are based on crap. So all in all, my posts are not dangerous nor provocative.

I'm just here to have fun. Think of me as Cyndi Lauper. But male. And with normal hair. And not competing with Madonna.

LIke you and all regulars on here, I love cricket. That is the baseline you should be looking at.

Last edited:

trundler

So Stokes IS a bit like Imran Khan. Overrated batting, underrated bowling. :laugh:

TheJediBrah

JediBrah, if Burgey doesn't even always see where my humour is going (see my sig) - do you really think you're my target audience? No offence.

Whether people on here get my humour or not does not phase me. There are incredibly intelligent people on here like vcs. And I know I make them chuckle from time to time by virtue of their latent likes on my posts. Whether you get it or not while questioning whether English is my first language or not, isn't my primary concern. I seriously don't care if you're a gay black man if you bowl mean af tweak or hit it for six.

Just be reassured I am avoiding ad hoiminem, and I deplore racism and prejudices that are based on crap. So all in all, my posts are not dangerous nor provocative.

I'm just here to have fun. Think of me as Cyndi Lauper. But male. And with normal hair. And not competing with Madonna.

LIke you and all regulars on here, I love cricket. That is the baseline you should be looking at.
M8 the reason people don't get you humour isn't because they aren't intelligent enough to understand it, as much as you seem to think it is

Status
Not open for further replies.