• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Part timers with beautiful actions: Sehwag vs Mark Waugh vs Aravinda vs Hooper

Who is the best bowler?

• Aravinda de Silva

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Carl Hooper

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Mark Waugh

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Virender Shewag

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Silva is pretty gorgeous too. Something about chubby aggressive batsmen makes for the ***iest finger spinners.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm never not going to vote for Viru in a poll like this.

For a brief time while Kumble was waning, Bhajji was bowling flat, and Kartik was being ignored, he was legitimately our best spinner.

Should have bowled a lot more. Severely underrated.
He also helped us draw a series in SL around 2010 when we were outplayed for most of the series. Big contributions with both bat and ball.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Off-spinners with such smooth actions can only be very average. I mean it's so effortless that it is ineffective. Can't think of a very good to great off spinner who didn't bend the back a bit and ended up looking ugly. Same is not true of leggies (Warne) and pacers (Donald, Wasim) though.

cnerd123

likes this
Off-spinners with such smooth actions can only be very average. I mean it's so effortless that it is ineffective. Can't think of a very good to great off spinner who didn't bend the back a bit and ended up looking ugly. Same is not true of leggies (Warne) and pacers (Donald, Wasim) though.
It's because getting enough revs on the ball as a finger spinner to be consistently effective requires your action to be a bit janky. All limbs and strong delivery strides and a big pivot and high release. It's effort. It's hard. It takes a lot of work.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sehwag made finger spin ***y. Anyone who has watched him bowl who can then say with a straight face that it's a boring form of bowling has lost their mind. He's all curves and angles and drift and loop. Pure aesthetics. I genuinely cannot think of a finger spinner who is nicer to watch.
Everything awesome about Sehwag as a bowler was only further amplified by Ramesh Powar.

Borges

International Regular

vcs

Swann got a lot of revs on the ball while having a decent action to watch, aesthetically.. arguably Lyon also over the past year.

cnerd123

likes this
Lyon and Swann arent effortless offies tho, you can see how much they exert themselves for every delivery.

Viru looks like a club cricketer rolling his arm over

Daemon

It's because getting enough revs on the ball as a finger spinner to be consistently effective requires your action to be a bit janky. All limbs and strong delivery strides and a big pivot and high release. It's effort. It's hard. It takes a lot of work.
A lot less work than any other part of the game though of course

cnerd123

likes this
A lot less work than any other part of the game though of course
Nah. Bowling like Sehwag is way easier than any other form. Bowling like a Swann or Lyon or even Ashwin is something only very few men can achieve. I hammer on about this point, but it's ridiculously hard to get the kind of revs on the ball that they do. You could try doing it with a bent elbow, but won't take long till you're chucking, see literally any bent-arm bowler not named Saqlain Mushtaq for evidence.

There are literally less men on earth capable of getting that many revs on the ball with just their fingers than there are men who can bowl 140 kmph+. But casual cricket fans just don't seem to give these guys the respect they deserve, because they see the chubby lazy Asian batsman tossing down aesthetically pleasing and effortless offbreaks that are occasionally effective and think this is some h4x form of bowling that should not allowed to thrive.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Certain Greame Swann comes to my mind.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

From 1:20 onwards, Waugh is bowling some off breaks, and to de Silva who was at height of his powers circa 97-98

TheJediBrah

Certain Greame Swann comes to my mind.
Graeme Swann is almost the opposite of the guys you mentioned. He's got a very quick action and intense run-up, whereas the other guys I assumed you say have "beautiful actions" because they are slow to the crease, slow arm action, just slow in general.

I agree Swann has a nice smooth action though

Daemon

Yeah I did like Swann's action. Loved Bhajji's run up as well, pretty energetic.

I don't find Sehwag or Powar's actions beautiful, I think they're more cute than elegant in any way.