• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

Blain

U19 Captain
I sort of feel like Larsen saw that he got Stokes out a few weeks ago, so now thinks he's a world class spinner or something. Bit of a Neil Broom selection, wasting chances to blood talent.

Chapman offers the exact same skill set really. Fantastic hundred by him today, well done!

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Chapman for Auckland:
OD: 586 runs @ 53.27
T20: 422 runs @ 35.17 SR 162
FC: 689 @ 31.31

It was probably fair to give him a bit of time to prove himself for Auckland away from the Hong Kong stuff, even if the talent is obviously there. Should really get a look-in over players like Broom/Kitchen now, though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not really a player who will bowl every match, which I assume is what they wanted. Kitchen usually will.

Agree they most likely just saw him get Stokes out and took it from there ...
There's really no difference between their bowling. Anaru never bowled in Auckland basically, not even for his club that much. As I've said before, Anaru is a hell of a good bloke, can bat is good to watch but it was a selection I can't fathom and never will.

Chapman has a knack of scoring runs like today when no one else in either side can lay bat on it.

vandem

International 12th Man
[Chapman]'s not really a player who will bowl every match, which I assume is what they wanted. Kitchen usually will.
If they want a 30+ year old hitter who can bowl some left arm darts in every game there is a more obvious pick. Devcich, current Super Smash agribusiness stats 109 runs @ 18 SR 137, 9 wickets @ 16 ER 6.6.

But Chapman would be the better option, would have him in both white balls teams, could be a key player in next ODI World Cup.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I don't agree with the selection, for the third time. Just saying why I think it was made, based on Larsen's comments.

Flem274*

123/5
I would be very surprised if Chapman didn't deserve squad selection in 2019. todays innings, like many before it, was a class above

Not sure if he'd play solely because we still don't seem sure about our balance but he's definitely good enough to be there

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was kind of fine with the Broom selection but yeah Kitchen just makes no sense. It'd be almost fathomable if Chapman didn't exist, but he does in this universe.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I was kind of fine with the Broom selection but yeah Kitchen just makes no sense. It'd be almost fathomable if Chapman didn't exist, but he does in this universe.
Nah it's not just here on CW that "shots off both feet" has always been one of the major Hesson things, right up there with the earning of rights. Not that Kitchen isn't very much about front-foot hitting himself.

Chapman may well get two for flinching. Two more years, that is, knowing this selection panel. We all know Munro and Ronchi would probably rate Auckland as the most rewarding place for a pull shot in the country too, so no excuses to not improve.

Flem274*

123/5
kitchen got clonked on the noggin by michael mason on live tv. if shots off both feet got him ahead of chapman i'd be surprised. i think its just selectorial conservativism.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
kitchen got clonked on the noggin by michael mason on live tv. if shots off both feet got him ahead of chapman i'd be surprised. i think its just selectorial conservativism.
Haha yeah, but Kitchen's based on that slowest of all the slow South Island clays these days. He loves it.

Come get me and my four FC tons last season, Chapman, you little 30-averaging flincher. This is how you want to roll when you're facing Big Bad Bennett these days -

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Born in '94 specimen is looking slightly more prone to wanton filth that causes him unnecessary suffering. L/esson will suggest he cleans up his room. He'll then find he's starting to ascend the dominance hierarchy of New Zealand's junk spin options.