Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The greatest fast bowler who ever drew breath?

International Vice-Captain a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    23 minutes.
    0/10

You obviously just wrote the comments about Steyn to get a reaction.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra View Post
    0/10

You obviously just wrote the comments about Steyn to get a reaction.
    ......and guess what.

Banned
    But for me itís just as much about the legend and persona of a fast-bowler as it is the raw numbers. This is why Trueman and Lillee will always be greater than Willis or McGrath IMO.

......A 21st century Trueman? Well, he would have played havoc with ECB protocol. Imagine the damage he could have done with Twitter had it existed when he was left out of the South Africa tour in 1956-57. England seems to have lost the confidence to let cricketers be themselves, 21st century men of disparate types, good and bad. Botham and Flintoff trod in Trueman's footsteps in terms of public adoration - Flintoff, the nation's darling in 2005, was perhaps the nearest equivalent with his forays into light entertainment, his passion for his county and his gentler private persona. But even Flintoff in his pedalo days didn't have to put up with the barrage of scrutiny international players do today. It takes a brave or foolhardy one to bare his soul - but somehow you get the feeling Trueman might just have thrown himself into the circus.

Instead he lies in the cemetery at Bolton Abbey, part of the Yorkshire landscape that sculpted him and that he so adored. His grave is just 22 yards away from his old friend Bob Appleyard's, who used to accompany him to Sunday worship, feet up, both of them, at last. "If anyone beats it," as Trueman said about his final tally of Test wickets, "they'll be bloody tired."

T'greatest that ever was | The Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Battlers Prince View Post
    Stats aside I just knew when we had McGrath, we were unbeatable. The Aussie's lost a few with him playing but he had such a great technique and patience. Just brilliant.
    Having said that, if I'm being honest, the bowler I couldn't get enough of watching was Wasim Akram. Wasim could bowl in ways that nobody else has done in the time I've been watching.
    I can't recall the figures but Aus win loss ratio with McGrath playing or not was just ridiculous, by far the most influential player of their great era..........would be interesting to know if any of the Windies quicks had that same impact.

Edit:

Or Steyn for that matter.
    Last edited by Adders; 18-10-2017 at 03:46 AM.
    You flew out to India
    When your country needed you
    Century on debut ,
    What a find.....

Na na na na na na na na na

Ali Ali Cook , Ali Cook , Ali Ali Cook

Na na na na na na na na na

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpy9JPZH3E

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra View Post
    And the fact that England had an incredible array of bowlers to choose from. Bedser, Stalham, Tyson, Laker, Lock, Wardle, Appleyard; plus a number of other pace bowlers that would have walked into the England side if born 10-20 years before or after.
    And Trueman was better than all of them. Plus only three are pace bowlers and Bedser was past his best not long after Trueman emerged.
    Last edited by Starfighter; 18-10-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Only miserable old farts would consider Marshall and Trueman to be anywhere near as good as McGrath or Steyn. Equally good statistics in a way friendlier era for batsmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

International Coach
    Trueman bowled in an era of flat wickets and a good depth in batting. Marshall did bowl on some dangerous wickets in the West Indies in the mid-80's but did enough on flat wickets to prove he didn't need them.

Anyway besides that I've lost my first ever bet on CW having wagered that Imran Khan would be mentioned in the first 20 posts.

Cricket Spectator
    Waseem Akram and Glenn McGrath both were shinning stars in winning World Cup for their teams.

Malcolm Marshall. Mcgrath, Imran and a few others not too far behind. Won't go into the stats as MM's needs no introduction. But this stuff about Mcgrath bowling in a more batsman friendly era gets overstated imo.

Mcgrath debuted I think in 1994 and played along side the likes of donald, Ambrose, wasim, etc. I assume that most here would say that the 90s was more bowler friendly. If that were the case, then why isn't Mcgraths stats noticeably better from that era?? Ok he was consistently great from the bowler friendly 90s to the flattened out wickets of 2000+ , as if all the wickets worldwide were all flattened out at the same time. The fact is, most of Mcgrath s great bowling contemporaries retired in the early 2000s Had most of them played on post 2000s and in their prime Im sure that at least one of them (more likely all) would've maintained their level of greatness ala Mcgrath.

In terms of pure skill with the ball I haven't seen anyone be able to do what Wasim Akram could. A very nice 1.5 min clip of mcgrath, donald, waqar, and ambrose talking about Wasim

In terms of getting batsmen out and making life difficult for batsmen, hard to go past MM
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Ditto Jimmy Anderson.
    Although tbf Jimmy, wonderful as he is, isn't a realistic candidate for greatest fast bowler ever (and I don't think I've ever been proven wrong about Jimmy ).

Anyway, I can't honestly decide between Marshall or McGrath and really the arguments for Steyn are pretty solid too.

I want to say McGrath just because of his ridiculous consistency, but I'm probably biased towards him over Marshall because I never saw Marshall but saw a fair bit of McGrath
    Follow me @cricket_gc, should you want to learn more of my cricketing thoughts and opinions, or read them in more detail on my blog: https://gccricket.wordpress.com

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    McGrath's mullet in 2005 was a hideous specimen.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

So was his pageboy haircut in 98

He had terrible hairstyles
    cricket rules brah

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    RED HILL...if you want a fair dinkum discussion on this subject you need to set the parameters of the word "greatest"..remember whats one mans meat is another mans poison.
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Marshall slightly over McGrath. Very slightly.
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information