Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1st grade? Crowds at Matador games?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    It was in Alice Springs.

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It was in Alice Springs.
    That's exactly what he said, a shanty town in the middle of nowhere

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah, sorry. Meant Emerging Blues.
    What do you think of junior participation atm?
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Jack Leach, who is on the verge of English selection played first grade for a local club a few years back as an overseas player.

Shield spots are very limited though and most sides wouldn't want a young overseas pro when they could play local guys instead.

As far as first class competitions go, the Shield is the strongest due to the fact that there are only 6 teams in the competition and they only play a dozen games a year. Each game takes on a lot of importance and selection is brutal and cut throat.

Club cricket is a level below County cricket though. There are a heap of premier club sides in each state and 5-6 grades in each competition. It's still a tough competition, especially given the exclusivity of the Shield. A number of guys who would be good enough for a county gig are playing grade every weekend. Some clubs get filled with state cricketers for a couple of games per season. I know UQ generally has about 3-5 Shield players at any one time. Valleys have Feldman, Khawaja and Wildermouth. So in the round or two where the international/state players aren't playing, club cricket can have some pretty good players.

International 12th Man
    At the shield games I have attended at the MCG, about 500 have attended each day, this includes the MCC members.

There is only one part of the ground open to spectators aside from the MCC members area, which is the section adjacent to the MCC members area on the Punt Rd end.

Having only a section of the ground open does lead to the weird experience of the rest of the ground being empty, Depending on where any cameras were pointed, it would give the impression there is no one there.

After Tassie was admitted to the Shield competition they were allowed an import to help strengthen their team.

But I think it was the policy of the governing body was not to allow overseas players in the Shield teams during the1990's and 2000's.

I think it still is.

Not sure why but possibly for financial reasons to prevent states bringing in big names at great expense and sending themselves broke and also to avoid the problem in county cricket of overseas players preventing the development of young local players .

HTH

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Well of course it isn't. Grade cricket in Australia is like 15-20 teams, per state. County cricket in England is ~18 teams for the whole country. And there is a **** load more people in England than in Australia to choose from as well, and probably a higher proportion of those interested in cricket (that's speculation).
    I was only answering the guys original question mate😂😂

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I would have thought that the biggest reason why there's historically not been as many overseas players is due to timing.

The English season runs (or historically it did) pretty much on its own so people are available.

The Australian season runs in parallel with all the other major nation's seasons and the majority of international tours.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

The standard of first grade cricket is Australia always interests me and the slight drop in standards presumably only relates to certain states ?

From what I know, and I haven't played at both levels, is the Aussie first grade cricket is probably in between our Premier Leagues (generally speaking) and county cricket, maybe on a par with county 2nd XI in this country ?

I've spoken with many Aussies that come to our club and play first grade back home, and bizarrely they haven't necessarily done too well for us but then gone home and absolutely dominated, there are of course many reasons for this as generally this is their first experience of English conditions. But they deem their cricket back home as more competitive with regards the standard.

Now the quality of overseas player we will be able to bring over in the future may be hugely compromised by the new Home Office rules not allowing clubs to sign 'pathway' players from abroad, which is truly ridiculous!!
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

I always find it strange that Australians see their setup as more 'linear' seeing as there's about 300 different competitions with country cricket, warehouse, subdistricts and all the other **** outside of Grade cricket - which is the only one that really matters.

In the UK it pretty much is club -> minor counties/2nd xis -> county cricket.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I always find it strange that Australians see their setup as more 'linear' seeing as there's about 300 different competitions with country cricket, warehouse, subdistricts and all the other **** outside of Grade cricket - which is the only one that really matters.

In the UK it pretty much is club -> minor counties/2nd xis -> county cricket.
    All the local comps are not "outside of grade cricket" but feed into it.

Round this way, there is the local grade comp but if anyone looks any good they are then recruited into a metropolitan grade club to work their way up though the ranks.

Cricket Spectator
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    I do not really see the problem with having one overseas player per State side. Surely one slot per squad will not unduly block Australian talent. I really think you Australians are shooting yourselves in the foot here (understand, Australia wouldn't have the kolpak problem England has). It adds a little 'stardust' to proceedings and drums up interest and crowds. Thanks to the overseas policy of the County Championship I have seen Sangakkara on multiple occasions. Just this season I saw James Pattinson take Collingwood's wicket with a devastating spell of bowling.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Cricket Spectator
    One final question I've read Michael Clarke's autobiography. Is he as disliked as much as I've read ?

Cricket Spectator
    Is Sydney the highest standard of grade cricket in Australia? Alot of our players end up there
    How do you Aussies view Tasmania. I know Ponting played for them but I read that you think they're weird with 6 fingers. Is that just a joke or You not keen on the place?

Do you have any fierce state rivalries? Do any teams really dislike each other?

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    I've always found it interesting how Michael Di Venuto was in both the Tasmania team which won in 2006-07 and the Durham side which won in 2008 and 2009. Tasmania and Durham's situation was basically the same: whippersnapper minions who began punching above their weight claiming their first first-class title.
    Last edited by S.Kennedy; 12-10-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information