• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Seriously, would be able to just go off to NZ if there was a serious chance of him being charged with assault (or something). Maybe if it is just a misdemeanour?
Yeah, I should think so. It's not like he's wanted for rape or murder or something as serious as that. Such is his profile there's also very little danger of him just vanishing off the face of the earth either.

Compton

International Debutant
Seriously, would be able to just go off to NZ if there was a serious chance of him being charged with assault (or something). Maybe if it is just a misdemeanour?
He wouldn’t necessarily be prevented from leaving the country even after being charged.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are there massive backlogs in the UK equivalent of the DPP or something in the UK? Or does every charge have to go through this process? You can get charged with a summary offence here without it going through the DPP's office - the cops can stick a charge on you if the offence is one likely to be dealt with in the local court.

Can't speak for the relevant UK departments, but I have virtually no doubt that if that incident on the footage happened here, the authorities here would charge him.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If nothing else, public sentiment towards coward punches would demand it and there would be a massive, media-fuelled eruption if he wasnt

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Are there massive backlogs in the UK equivalent of the DPP or something in the UK? Or does every charge have to go through this process? You can get charged with a summary offence here without it going through the DPP's office - the cops can stick a charge on you if the offence is one likely to be dealt with in the local court.

Can't speak for the relevant UK departments, but I have virtually no doubt that if that incident on the footage happened here, the authorities here would charge him.
As I understand it, it is far from uncommon for even low level cases to take a couple of months to reach even the lowest court. As this case involves a high profile public figure I imagine it's taking even longer due to the police and CPS wanting to make sure they have absolutely done it by the book and got a good case before elevating things.

cnerd123

likes this
As I understand it, it is far from uncommon for even low level cases to take a couple of months to reach even the lowest court. As this case involves a high profile public figure I imagine it's taking even longer due to the police and CPS wanting to make sure they have absolutely done it by the book and got a good case before elevating things.
Is this because all the law students in the UK would rather stay in academics than actually work to serve the community?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If nothing else, public sentiment towards coward punches would demand it and there would be a massive, media-fuelled eruption if he wasnt
The incident had nothing to do with "coward punches" though.

it was just a straight-up brawl

Cow

Banned
Today I have been reading about the 'Royal Prerogative of Mercy'. I believe there is a strong case that Ben Stokes should be pardoned of any crime, regardless of conviction, as it's currently not in the national interest.

There's a precedent here. I believe the Northern Ireland Good Friday agreement had Royal Pardons for wanted or convicted IRA terrorists as the greater interest of peace outweighed the individual punishments. The Crown, and by extension, the Home Office should issue a pardon instantly for Benjamin Andrew Stokes so he can rejoin the forces of good of their valiant crusade in the venomous lands of Australia.

I intend to pen a letter today to Amber Rudd, the embattled turd who currently resides in the Home Office to ask for this pardon to be issued. As I assume you all support this motion I have decided to add you all as co-signatories of my request. Based on your posting style I've been able to successfully surmise what your individual signatures look like. For example, I have speculated that all Australians outside of inner-city Melbourne simply use an 'X' as their signature.

Updates to follow. #PrayForBen

Last edited: