• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is sad as a cricketing spectator..... but even if you get away with the criminal charge nowadays, as a public persona can screw up your entire career.
Not like there is anything wrong with that imo. Behave like a ****, get treated like a **** etc

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Can't upload an image from my phone, but (very unconfirmed, purely speculative) whispers on Twitter that Stokes may have been "interceding on behalf of someone receiving homophobic abuse".

The ECB is handling this quite well, to be fair.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I've deleted the post (and responses) and it's under review by the mod team.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, good.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't upload an image from my phone, but (very unconfirmed, purely speculative) whispers on Twitter that Stokes may have been "interceding on behalf of someone receiving homophobic abuse".

Defending gay people? There's no way Peter Dutton will let him in the country now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Whilst that might make it better morally (from some perspectives, at least), legally it doesn't help him one jot.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea there's a version of events on Twatter from Piers Morgan, who for reasons of taste and decency I won't link to.

burr

State Vice-Captain
He has children. Doing that while I assume the wife is at home looking after them is pathetic.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Well, this thread has turned into a real pack of ****, but this post from the first page surely takes the biscuit:

Yeah if anything he'll just fit in better over here. No one's going to take away one of the biggest draws of the Ashes because of a harmless little assault.
I mean, seriously, when is assault ever "harmless"? It's assault, for crying out loud. It is never "harmless".

There's some guy out there who suffered actual bodily harm, who may or may not have been culpable in an attack and may or may not have been backing off at the time. We don't know.

But, for crissakes, it absolutely wasn't "harmless", and the attitude expressed in that post is beyond repugnant.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
For Stokes to be convicted of common assault the victim doesn't need to have experienced any "harm" anyway. So to some extent any talk of harm is kind of a red herring.

But yeah, I think by any understanding of the term, whacking a bloke to the ground and then kicking him whilst he's down isn't "harmless".

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
how many more of these 'im appalled by the comments here tonight' posts are going to be made?

these comments happen anytime theres a controversial thing on the internet