• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well

For the first time, the great limited-overs Cup, that put names such as Gillette, McDonald's, Mercantile Mutual, ING and Matador on the map, commenced in radio and television silence. As much coverage, and as many spectators, attended the first weekend of the grade cricket season.
it used to be great. It's been replaced and much more by the BigBash. These things happen.

I would guess that more Australians could list the members of Ian Chappell's team from 1974-75 or Allan Border's from 1989, or Ricky Ponting's from 2006-07, than the eleven who regained the Ashes so ferociously under Michael Clarke four years ago. They were here, and then they were gone.
and this is just a bizarre claim, even allowing for the mass retirements. and the rest of it is basically whatever, old man yelling at clouds except he's trying to be smart and wise which is even worse

On the coverage issue, which I meant to post about when you guys first talked about. I'm assuming CA did the fixtures knowing that C9 wasn't taking up the coverage. In previous years CA covered the production costs and I assume that offer was still valid. Brettig seems to think C9 basically swapped the ODers for the Woman's Ashes so theoretically it could return next season.

I said it seasons ago but CA needs to develop an app so that the shield/ODers can be streamed through Apple TV, Chromecast, Xbox/PS etc.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Knox is good during a series with match reports and the type, but I find his articles on the wider reaches of sport bloody diabolical.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
8 dismissals for Nev with 2 stumpings. Equals the list A world record apparently. Nice.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
well

it used to be great. It's been replaced and much more by the BigBash. These things happen.

and this is just a bizarre claim, even allowing for the mass retirements. and the rest of it is basically whatever, old man yelling at clouds except he's trying to be smart and wise which is even worse

On the coverage issue, which I meant to post about when you guys first talked about. I'm assuming CA did the fixtures knowing that C9 wasn't taking up the coverage. In previous years CA covered the production costs and I assume that offer was still valid. Brettig seems to think C9 basically swapped the ODers for the Woman's Ashes so theoretically it could return next season.

I said it seasons ago but CA needs to develop an app so that the shield/ODers can be streamed through Apple TV, Chromecast, Xbox/PS etc.
I found the article was a bit of 'it was better in my day' syndrome

Without any facts behind the decline of cricket, it's a strange article

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I like how Cricket played such an important part in making McDonalds what it is today.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I like how Cricket played such an important part in making McDonalds what it is today.
They really glossed over the importance of Australian domestic cricket sponsorship in McDonalds's history in the film Founder. They spent way too much time focused on comparatively unimportant aspects such as the foundational business idea, the original creators and the entrepreneur who took it to the masses. The McDonalds story is really all about those few cricket seasons in the early 80s for which they sponsored fringe state players playing in their pyjamas.

Spikey

Seems like the NSW will be playing a shield game against WA at Hurstville. That's not ideal

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Who was the last person to score a Sheffield Shield triple century? Most recent one I can think of is Simon Katich back in 2007/08.

With Hurstville's tiny boundaries it could be a golden opportunity for someone.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Isn't the answer obvious? Liam Davis.

How do you forget a character like that.

TheJediBrah

Is Hurstville even a cricket ground? It certainly doesn't look like one. Very strange decision to play a Shield game there.

morgieb

Purely to prove watson wrong that there's no white aussie culture left in Hurstville, imo
On this note, I went to primary school in Hurstville, and I was often in classes where I was the only kid that had both his parents born in Australia.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Hurstville even a cricket ground? It certainly doesn't look like one. Very strange decision to play a Shield game there.
St George CC has generally held a fair amount of sway over the NSWCA and many players have signed up there simply because it gave them a better chance of higher honours

Unless things have changed significantly, I could name quite a few better grounds in Sydney

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't the answer obvious? Liam Davis.

How do you forget a character like that.
Of course, I am kicking myself for forgetting that now

In other news Chris Tremain got himself on to a hat trick against the CA XI, and then went and wasted the opportunity by bowling a rank full toss.