• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength side?

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength XI?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • He would be 12th man for the Tasmanian 3rd XI.

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Johnson ended with career stats better than I thought they'd be.

I can't see his style being effective long term in England though. The wickets over there don't reward bang-it-in type bowlers, they suit slower, more controlled swing/seam bowlers.
Yeah, that was my point. England's pitches tend to be slow puddings, with most of the assistance being atmospheric. It's basically the opposite of what he likes.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Based on this thread, I'm fully convinced Jimmy would not make Australia's full strength side

Before the Ashes
Australia 1 - 0 England

As burgey would say, English supporters lift your ****ing game

Groundking

International Debutant
Based on this thread, I'm fully convinced Jimmy would not make Australia's full strength side

Before the Ashes
Australia 1 - 0 England

As burgey would say, English supporters lift your ****ing game
Then you're listening to the wrong people, he's comfortably better than either Starc or Hazelwood are right now, and the rest can't stay fit long enough to say anything other than they have the potential to be something special, but they've not proven **** yet. Anderson would be the first choice pick then Hazelwood as his opening partner, Lyon would be the spinner and then they'd be picking from the other 3 based on who's fit.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Then you're listening to the wrong people, he's comfortably better than either Starc or Hazelwood are right now, and the rest can't stay fit long enough to say anything other than they have the potential to be something special, but they've not proven **** yet. Anderson would be the first choice pick then Hazelwood as his opening partner, Lyon would be the spinner and then they'd be picking from the other 3 based on who's fit.
I agree that Anderson is better than Starc right now but I'd pick Hazlewood ahead of him outside England. Haze has been fantastic everywhere in the last couple of years. I actually think Starc is the worst of the 4. Cummins will probably take more wickets than the rest and Pattinson is probably the best of the lot. If he doesn't get picked for the Gabba the shield batsmen are going to be crapping themselves when they face Victoria.

stephen

Yeah, that was my point. England's pitches tend to be slow puddings, with most of the assistance being atmospheric. It's basically the opposite of what he likes.
Yep I was agreeing with you/disagreeing with mr_mister.

Spark

Global Moderator
Comfortably better than a bowler who averages 24-25? Steady on.

Gob

International Coach
Getting tired of the repetition but again its all about where we play. If its in Australia Jimmy is carrying drinks. Same in SA

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I expect this thread to travel as well as Jimmy's bowling when it's not swinging ftr.
You mean not at all?

Myth #38: Anderson gets carted when the ball does nothing.

Fact: James Anderson is, by a distance, the most economical fast bowler of his peers.

Groundking

International Debutant
Comfortably better than a bowler who averages 24-25? Steady on.
Anderson has been averaging 20.78 since 2014, and 24.60 since the start of 2010 all the while being the most economical pace bowler (who played a significant number of test) during these time period, with him being significantly more economical than anybody else since the start of 2014.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson has been averaging 20.78 since 2014, and 24.60 since the start of 2010 all the while being the most economical pace bowler (who played a significant number of test) during these time period, with him being significantly more economical than anybody else since the start of 2014.
This has been repeated about 10 times but he's not been great in Australia, which is where he would be expected to play half his matches if playing for the Australian cricket team.

Gob

International Coach
This has been repeated about 10 times but he's not been great in Australia, which is where he would be expected to play half his matches if playing for the Australian cricket team.
Tbf he won't be bowling at the Aust batsmen

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Uh. Regardless of how Anderson does in the Ashes one among the two groups of posters will keep this thread busy for months!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Aside from the best series from a visiting bowler in a generation.

Willing to cut him some slack for last time given he was injured and the 2nd innings of most Test matches are exactly what you don't want as a bowler.

Gob

International Coach
Aside from the best series from a visiting bowler in a generation.

Willing to cut him some slack for last time given he was injured and the 2nd innings of most Test matches are exactly what you don't want as a bowler.
Well a generation of bowlers had to bowl to the greatest batting line up of all time so the sorry returns were expected. He was good in that series though not denying that.

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm not sure what the answer is, but even as a Englishman, I'm a bit bewildered by the 'show him respect' posts. Like, he's not died and nobody has said he's ****e, it's just a bit of a interesting what-if. Like, if the Sky Sports blokes had asked him "but would you get in the Australian side at home, Jim?" after the 3rd West Indies test, sure, but we're just nerds on the internet talking bollocks.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'm not sure what the answer is, but even as a Englishman, I'm a bit bewildered by the 'show him respect' posts. Like, he's not died and nobody has said he's ****e, it's just a bit of a interesting what-if. Like, if the Sky Sports blokes had asked him "but would you get in the Australian side at home, Jim?" after the 3rd West Indies test, sure, but we're just nerds on the internet talking bollocks.
Yeah it's the type of question players quite literally couldn't give a **** about.

Kirkut

International Regular
Well Jimmy is not a very potent bowler with the kookaburra like how Mitch Johnson does not enjoy bowling with the duke ball, so OP's skepticism is warranted.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've got a feeling Broad is going to have a good Ashes series. Was injured in 10-11 and was their best bowler here last time by a distance.

stephen

I've got a feeling Broad is going to have a good Ashes series. Was injured in 10-11 and was their best bowler here last time by a distance.
Yeah he'll likely be England's best bowler this summer. His style is more suited to Aussie pitches than Anderson's.