• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

After thinking and looking at stats I suppose England ought to pick Jordan and Mills in their team for the T20I CWC. That covers the death overs. You then have Rashid. Ali as the5th/6th bowler option. Livingstone can also bowl, England should probably think about using Ali and Livingstone to make up the 5th bowler. Leaving room for one seamer, would probably pick Curran considering his batting. Not thought about this much, don’t think I’m missing anyone. Stokes and Archer assumed out.

Hales won’t get picked, so
1. Roy
2. Buttler
3. Malan
4. Livingstone
5. Morgan
6. Bairstow
7. Ali
8. Curran
9. Jordan
10. Rashid
11. Mills
Bairstow's very low at 6. And Malan looked awful against the spinners in the Pakistan T20s, which there will be rather a lot of given the location of this tournament. If pushed for a decision, I'd play Bairstow at 3 and Vince at 6.

Jack1

International Debutant
Bairstow's very low at 6. And Malan looked awful against the spinners in the Pakistan T20s, which there will be rather a lot of given the location of this tournament. If pushed for a decision, I'd play Bairstow at 3 and Vince at 6.
I find it difficult to drop Malan considering long term form in T20I though . Bairstow has to bat under Livingstone and Morgan imo if he’s not top 3. Edited my post slightly, but team is the same for now.
Vince at 6 seems strange to me, doesn’t score fast enough. You’d have to surely bat him under Ali and Curran considering strike rates - so he basically can’t be picked there? You’d have to bat Bairstow and Vince the other way around if you wanted Vince over Malan. Also no left hander in the top 4 if you do that, huge call

edit: It’s Sam Curran in my team by the way

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Play the players where they are best equipped. I dont think Roy is in your best T20 side unfortunately.

Buttler (vc)
Bairstow
Moeen
Livingstone
Morgan (c)
<insert hitter here>
S Curran
Jordan
Rashid
Wood/fast bowler
Mills

Think you will still need an express bowler in the UAE, cant get away with purely chance of pace merchants. Have to try and load up as many of the guys who will get regular IPL game time in the side as possible as well. If Stokes and/or Archer become available, it is a different story.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
If we're assuming no Archer and no Stokes, as seems likely (and no Hales which seems definite) I think I'd go:

Roy
Buttler
Moeen
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
S Curran
Jordan
Wood
Rashid
Mills

Malan/Parkinson/Willey/Woakes (or Mahmood) the reserves in the squad.

Harsh on Malan, who will probably play and go alright, but I don't think he would improve the above line up.

I wouldn't be adverse to Bairstow opening and Buttler moving back to the middle order, but I don't think that's realistic.

weeman27bob

International Regular
If we're assuming no Archer and no Stokes, as seems likely (and no Hales which seems definite) I think I'd go:

Roy
Buttler
Moeen
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
S Curran
Jordan
Wood
Rashid
Mills

Malan/Parkinson/Willey/Woakes (or Mahmood) the reserves in the squad.

Harsh on Malan, who will probably play and go alright, but I don't think he would improve the above line up.

I wouldn't be adverse to Bairstow opening and Buttler moving back to the middle order, but I don't think that's realistic.
I like this because it's essentially peak boshing. Looking at scores of 50+ in ODIs at a strike-rate of 130+ and scores in T20Is of 30+ at strike-rates of 150+

Roy - 7 in ODIs, 16 in T20Is
Buttler - 16 in ODIs, 25 in T20Is
Moeen - 6 in ODIs, 5 in T20Is
Bairstow - 10 in ODIs , 10 in T20Is
Livingstone, 2 in T20Is plus was striking at nearly 180 in the Hundred
Morgan -11 in ODIs, 25 in T20Is

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England preliminary ICC Men's T20 World Cup Squad

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) Captain
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Chris Jordan (Sussex)
Liam Livingstone (Lancashire)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Tymal Mills (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
David Willey (Yorkshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

Travelling Reserves

Tom Curran (Surrey)
Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
James Vince (Hampshire)

theegyptian

I guess main surprise is Woakes back. Barely played t20 cricket in recent years for England.
Mills had been mooted in recent times.

A lot of seam, not much spin. 3 left arm pace bowlers. Parkinson not even in reserves.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Parkinson not even in reserves.
This the biggest surprise for me. Otherwise it's the 15 I predicted above (should've seen the Billings pick coming I guess).

Mahmood may have edged out Woakes if fit, but the latter did gun it in his random T20I call up earlier in the summer, plus he Can Bat of course.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This the biggest surprise for me. Otherwise it's the 15 I predicted above (should've seen the Billings pick coming I guess).

Mahmood may have edged out Woakes if fit, but the latter did gun it in his random T20I call up earlier in the summer, plus he Can Bat of course.
Isn't Mahmood broken?

He'd surely have been on the reserve list over CurranT at least if not.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Woakes will see a lot of games for Delhi Daredevils, I think.
Hope so since his usual MO is being one of the best players in the first couple of games then be relegated to the bench without explanation.
Isn't Mahmood broken?

He'd surely have been on the reserve list over CurranT at least if not.
I thought it was a muscle injury so not necessarily ruled out for the World T20, but guess they didn't want to pick an injury doubt. Agree he should be ahead of the elder Curran when fit.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
No real surprises in the squad. Mills was fantastic in the Hundred, so I'm glad he's back. If Willey plays, he has to bowl three of the first six, when the ball may do something, as he will go around the park in the final overs. Would imagine it's Livingstone or Mo, so only two spinners. Billings seems to be the regular spare batsman without every doing much when he plays.

Roy, Bairstow, Malan, Buttler (back down at 4), Livingstone, Morgan, Woakes, SCurran, Jordan/Wood, Rashid, Mills would be my starting XI.

Jack1

International Debutant
I stand by my previous post before the squad was announced the only difference being Woakes is back from injury and in form. Meaning:
1. Roy
2. Buttler (wk)
3. Malan
4. Livingstone
5. Morgan
6. Bairstow
7. Ali
8. Sam Curran / Woakes (form)
9. Jordan
10. Rashid
11. Mills

Suspect England may misuse Livingstone and bat him too low. Anything lower than 4 is not ideal considering his form and he’s hit the fastest t20 hundred for England already so no one can say he’s unproven at this

No real surprises in the squad. Mills was fantastic in the Hundred, so I'm glad he's back. If Willey plays, he has to bowl three of the first six, when the ball may do something, as he will go around the park in the final overs. Would imagine it's Livingstone or Mo, so only two spinners. Billings seems to be the regular spare batsman without every doing much when he plays.

Roy, Bairstow, Malan, Buttler (back down at 4), Livingstone, Morgan, Woakes, SCurran, Jordan/Wood, Rashid, Mills would be my starting XI.
I would be amazed if Ali and Livingstone don’t both play every game. Buttler’s going to open (and in my opinion it’s right).

Last edited:

theegyptian

Mahmood has struggled in the t20 stuff. Can't land his yorker at the death regularly. That 10.41 economy rate is quite offputting.

He's pushing for selection in the first choice ODI side on the back of his bowling with the new ball imo.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root should be in this team. It is probably good for his career that he is not though given the amount of cricket he plays.

Jack1

International Debutant
Root should be in this team. It is probably good for his career that he is not though given the amount of cricket he plays.
Root cannot get in the side. No one he can replace. They won’t pick him to sit on the bench.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Come an actual tournament I would want him ahead of Malan, especially given where it is being played. Agree though it is much better that he does not go at all.
Suggest you look at their stats especially at 3 (and the t20I batting rankings).