• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

FBU

International Debutant
I think it was out of competition testing. Also recreational drugs rather than performance enhancing. I think it makes sense to have more lenient rules on the recreational drug use.

From what I can tell they don't differentiate between recreational drugs. It's a standard one fits all policy. First violation - counselling etc, Second- 21 day ban, third - Year ban . Jack Burnham for instance was widely reported as using cocaine but it was only on his third violation that he got a year ban. Hales is on his second violation.
Since the Maynard incident hair analysis came into effect at the beginning and end of the season. So there is a window to party for county cricketers from Oct to Jan.
In internationals it is just urine samples which can come thoughout the year, even during a Test.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England shouldn’t go anywhere near him for the WC, yes he’s made a mistake (heard that before) and we’re all prone to the odd mishap, but if someone can’t stay off the drugs on the lead-up to a WC then it really isn’t very professional. He’s been forgiven for previous misdemeanours then he pulls this stunt. It’s a no-brainer for me, get him out of the squad.
I'd never pick him again. Seems like he can't and won't learn from his mistakes so why keep giving him chances?

Spikey

How does one get only 21 days for drug use? I though all sporting codes were strict on it now?
Because it's not a performance enhancing related offence. There's two drug codes, the usual WADA stuff for performance enhancing stuff wherein a substance on that list equals a two year ban, and there's a illicit drug policy, which is based around player welfare. This type of policy is in place in many codes and is always focused on player welfare rather than player punishment

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I think I've jokingly posted in the past that it turns to a world cup year for England and it starts to all fall apart. Certainly looking like that right now.

So far in 2019 -

Convincingly lose away test series to West Indies. Draw ODI series.
ECB change their own guidelines to allow Jofra Archer chance to play WC, in the process causing disharmony in the ranks.
Hales fails second recreational drug test. ECB drop him only after press gets hold of the story.
Lots of fitness issues to world cup squad and backup. Roy(back), Denly(back), Woakes(knee), Rashid(unknown), Wood(everything), Billings(shoulder), Curran(calf/knee), Plunkett (always something). Mostly small things but they tend to add up.
Plunkett, a key player in the world cup side, seems to be in terminal decline.
Less pronounced seams used on the latest bunch of Dukes cricket balls. Big scores been scored as a result in county cricket. Should favour Australia in Ashes.
Probably some other ****.

Would be an epic year. Go out at the group stages of a home world cup after been (one of, if not) the best side of the preceding 3.5 years, thrashed in a home ashes by a resurgent Australia with chief sandpaper men Smith and Warner dominant. I can see it now.

hazsa19

International Regular
I think I've jokingly posted in the past that it turns to a world cup year for England and it starts to all fall apart. Certainly looking like that right now.

So far in 2019 -

Convincingly lose away test series to West Indies. Draw ODI series.
ECB change their own guidelines to allow Jofra Archer chance to play WC, in the process causing disharmony in the ranks.
Hales fails second recreational drug test. ECB drop him only after press gets hold of the story.
Lots of fitness issues to world cup squad and backup. Roy(back), Denly(back), Woakes(knee), Rashid(unknown), Wood(everything), Billings(shoulder), Curran(calf/knee), Plunkett (always something). Mostly small things but they tend to add up.
Plunkett, a key player in the world cup side, seems to be in terminal decline.
Less pronounced seams used on the latest bunch of Dukes cricket balls. Big scores been scored as a result in county cricket. Should favour Australia in Ashes.
Probably some other ****.

Would be an epic year. Go out at the group stages of a home world cup after been (one of, if not) the best side of the preceding 3.5 years, thrashed in a home ashes by a resurgent Australia with chief sandpaper men Smith and Warner dominant. I can see it now.
All that’s missing is an embarrassing defeat against an Associate nation, and we play Ireland on Friday m...

Howe_zat

Audio File
Alex Hales would still be part of the England squad had details of his suspension not become public, director of cricket Ashley Giles has admitted.

It was initially said that Hales was taking time away from the game for "personal reasons", until the Guardian reported he was serving a 21-day ban for recreational drug use.

"The effect of that breaking has led us to where we are," Giles told BBC Sport.

"If anyone thinks that is right or wrong, it is the way it had to be."
Dumbest god damn thing.

andmark

International Captain
That article mentions Clarke a fair bit more than Kohler-Cadmore. I admit to not having followed the case particularly but the lack of emphasis on K-C would seem to imply he had a lesser role than Clarke in the Whatsapp conversation. If that's a fair judgement, can we expect Clarke to get more punishment than K-C? Obviously the crime far outweighs these issues, but from a cricketing view it would be an interesting decision from the ECB on how they perceive these things.

Last edited:

Burgey

Hales should have been ****ing banned for sinking the slipper into that bloke laying on the ground in the bar fight at Bristol. Man's a ****.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Dumbest god damn thing.
Reading the whole article, it seems for legal reasons the two people who knew of Hales failed drug tests could not tell the selection committee, and then the 2nd interesting part is after it was revealed in press it was the senior plays that asked for his removal because of his continuous poor behaviour and disruption to the squad. So if that is true then it makes considerably more sense as to how things played out.

Drugs test exposure sealed Alex Hales' fate - Ashley Giles | ESPNcricinfo.com

Burgey

So unlike an England squad to be in a state of disunity ahead of a big series...

andmark

International Captain
There doesn't seem to be a thread for the Eng vs Ire match today. It's getting very interesting though. At 62/4, it'll be a test to see if England really do "bat deep" in the innings.

Heboric

International Debutant
There doesn't seem to be a thread for the Eng vs Ire match today. It's getting very interesting though. At 62/4, it'll be a test to see if England really do "bat deep" in the innings.
68/5

I think they will still get there

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...Dawson-replace-Joe-Denly-World-Cup-squad.html

I for one would be much happier with Dawson as the backup spin bowling allrounder rather than Denly. Shame it's taken them this long to consider it. Shoulda played a few more games imo even if he did get injured during his last callup. Denly isn't a good enough spinner to bowl 10 overs in an ODI. Dawson more comfortable in the middle order too. Dawson certainly no star but I'd back him to do a job.