• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Tom Flint

International Regular
He got a 21 day ban. I reckon it was for laughing gas or something minor. I'd have thought coke and even weed would be a longer suspension for 2nd offence

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Hales really can't have any complaints if he is dropped from the World cup squad. Pissing his career away.

Can't believe he is very will liked within the camp for all his misdemeanours.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
How does one get only 21 days for drug use? I though all sporting codes were strict on it now?
I think it was out of competition testing. Also recreational drugs rather than performance enhancing. I think it makes sense to have more lenient rules on the recreational drug use.

We think it's nangs because of the low sentence.
From what I can tell they don't differentiate between recreational drugs. It's a standard one fits all policy. First violation - counselling etc, Second- 21 day ban, third - Year ban . Jack Burnham for instance was widely reported as using cocaine but it was only on his third violation that he got a year ban. Hales is on his second violation.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Russell got a year ban for missing 3 out of competition tests. Don't think out of competition should matter.

Also lenient is not 21 days, lenient if we are serious about a drug free sport is 3-6 months. 21 days is a joke.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But if it's a legal drug, like they still sell the tools to do them in 7-11 stores, shouldn't that affect things

ajdude

International Coach
But if it's a legal drug, like they still sell the tools to do them in 7-11 stores, shouldn't that affect things
surely nangs (nitrous) wouldn’t come up in a hair test. this takes me back to post season trips away though so i appreciate this discussion

mr_mister

I had the same thought, but there still is a drug in your system, and hair tests can find minute amounts of things compared to piss tests iirc. I know hair tests are for more expensive to conduct

Woodster

International Captain
England shouldn’t go anywhere near him for the WC, yes he’s made a mistake (heard that before) and we’re all prone to the odd mishap, but if someone can’t stay off the drugs on the lead-up to a WC then it really isn’t very professional. He’s been forgiven for previous misdemeanours then he pulls this stunt. It’s a no-brainer for me, get him out of the squad.

mr_mister

To quote Chief Wiggum: Well I'd like to ma'am but he's too damn good

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Not good enough for the strongest XI, I’m sure we’ve sufficient options for a back-up batsman.