• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpire's Call Won't Take Away a Review Anymore

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What was the issue with drs reset at 80 overs? I thought it was a good thing that if a team ended up wasting their reviews then they get another chance after 80 overs
Probably would've lead to a large deluge of reviews if given the changes and wasting time.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ultimately technology will be used to ensure the decision is the correct one and not just to eliminate howlers. If the "umpires call" is to allow for a margin of error in the technology it's fair enough. But if it's just so as not to erode the umpires control it doesn't make much sense. If you have the technology use it to its fullest to get things right. Allowing incorrect decisions based on degrees of how bad they are seems illogical.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Problem is, LT, beyond a point LBW decisions, at least, are basically speculation and that is one thing machines are not better than human beings at, yet. :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Problem is, LT, beyond a point LBW decisions, at least, are basically speculation and that is one thing machines are not better than human beings at, yet. :p
I think the machines are better, so does Graeme Swann. :oops: First to go will be umpires call for pitching in line or not. That makes no sense. Then they'll reduce the amount the ball is hitting the stumps by to still be not out. Eventually every decision will be made by technology in a split second.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the machines are better, so does Graeme Swann. :oops: First to go will be umpires call for pitching in line or not. That makes no sense. Then they'll reduce the amount the ball is hitting the stumps by to still be not out. Eventually every decision will be made by technology in a split second.

Lol. Yeah there are areas where technology can help but that involves what happened, I am talking about the projected path/hawk eye now. That is where I feel the umpire's call is actually warranted both to offset the margin of error with the tech as well as the fact that it is basically a guess and there needs to be a bit more consideration given to the human decision in that area.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm going to suggest that a Test in which there are 15-20 reasonable LBW shouts a day is a Test that is not likely to see Day 5 anyway barring quite a lot of rain.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm going to suggest that a Test in which there are 15-20 reasonable LBW shouts a day is a Test that is not likely to see Day 5 anyway barring quite a lot of rain.
Yes. If you want comparison the Aus-SA series just gone had 17 LBW dismissals in the whole three tests. Certainly in Australia with the ****aburra ball there simply isn't enough movement to generate 15-20 review or dismissal worthy shouts in a match.

EDIT: Just realised we're talking shouts a day, after having somehow formed the impression it was shouts a match. If we're having 15-20 out/umpires call worthy shouts a day this seems like a bowled out for less than 100 sort of situation without ****ty Australian batting, for both teams. I really don't think we'll see conditions that good in a test match these days, or not often enough to really matter.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

My point was more that a day where we have 15-20 interruptions due to reviews (which may or may not be likely) would be boring and frustrating to watch, not that it would cost us a result.

That's why I think this is a very good compromise:

This should only be the rule for your last review.

It would keep speculative reviews low, but remove the sucky millimetre close umpires call screwing the last review.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I would give the umpire two reviews of his own. :jerry: Just occasionally they'll make an Out or Not Out decision that they're unsure about based on which team has reviews left.

spit

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't understand why umpire's call applies to all 3 requirements for LBWs for example. Surely like with tennis the pitching and impact areas of the ball can be fairly accurately gauged with hawkeye and the umpire's call error margin shouldn't really exist for it in the first place? I understand that the third red is based on a projection and that's why substantial errors margins would exist but they can hardly be of the same scale as for the first two requirements.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand why umpire's call applies to all 3 requirements for LBWs for example. Surely like with tennis the pitching and impact areas of the ball can be fairly accurately gauged with hotspot and the umpire's call error margin shouldn't really exist for it in the first place? I understand that the third red is based on a projection and that's why substantial errors margins would exist but they can hardly be of the same scale as for the first two requirements.
It's not about the margin of technology error. DRS is about eliminating howlers and if it's close it's not a howler.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I would give the umpire two reviews of his own. :jerry: Just occasionally they'll make an Out or Not Out decision that they're unsure about based on which team has reviews left.
100% this happens and it pisses me off immensely. But this is just extremely poor umpiring and the answer isn't to give them another safety net, they need to rectify this attitude and make them do their job. What team has reviews left should should never ever come into the decision making process.

DriveClub

International Regular
I don't understand why umpire's call applies to all 3 requirements for LBWs for example. Surely like with tennis the pitching and impact areas of the ball can be fairly accurately gauged with hawkeye and the umpire's call error margin shouldn't really exist for it in the first place? I understand that the third red is based on a projection and that's why substantial errors margins would exist but they can hardly be of the same scale as for the first two requirements.
I actually agree with spit, there's no need for margin of error/umpires call on first 2, its not a projection but just recording. Can have the umpires call for the 3rd projection path only.

Burgey

I've been out on the squirt with Corrin and Jono and I can assure you they don't shout once a day, let alone 15-20 times.

Daemon

It's not about the margin of technology error. DRS is about eliminating howlers and if it's close it's not a howler.
Was it actually ever said that drs was for eliminating howlers

People are against more correct decisions being made. Amazes me tbh.