• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is MS Dhoni an ATG OdI batsmen?

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Didn't Sachin score his first ODI ton in Australia after 22 years of International cricket?
2007 which isn't 22 years.

Sachin won his team a match in Australia in 92 WC vs a strong bowling attack of Pakistan.

Sachin also win in 03 WC in SA vs Pak( another strong bowling attack).

Sachin won CB series finals by scoring 100+ and 91 in the two finals.

Also, the pitches and bowling quality were far tougher in his era than what it has been in last 10 years.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sachin was an opener. Don't you know scoring ODI tons become easier from no. 6?
I never talked about hundreds in any of my post.

A finisher is judged by his ability to win games and I am talking of Dhoni not being able to win enough games outside Asia vs quality attacks. All he has won are against SL, WI and Zimbabwe.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dude does have a point wrt Dhonis away record tbf. Not that it stops him from being an ATG.

viriya

International Captain
A better question is whether Dhoni is the goat finisher.

And he clearly is, assuming AB isn't considered a finisher.

Bijed

International Regular
His record outside of India isn't exactly awful anyway (overall away average of 46.00 so better than than most players' home records, centuries notwithstanding)

The only country in which he's got a poor record after more than just a few games is South Africa, everywhere else his record is decent at worst or he's not played enough to make a fair judgement.

Actually, I must confess to having been previously unaware of how extremely good his ODI career has been from a statistical perspective. I considered him to be a great player anyway, but didn't realise just how impressive his numbers were.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
Dhoni's kind of having that fast and furious 'one last race' moment, isn't he. Looks to be in good touch, and if he can turn it on in the CT and 19 WC, assuming he lasts that long, could have a glorious exit.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I reckon he's pretty great.

Toss up between him and Gilly as to who keeps and bats top 6 in an ATG ODI team.

Both such great players.

Red

And scoring hundreds in ODI games is not that significant, especially for guys (like Dhoni) who bat at 5 or 6 mostly.

viriya

International Captain
I reckon he's pretty great.

Toss up between him and Gilly as to who keeps and bats top 6 in an ATG ODI team.

Both such great players.
Definitely not a toss up because Gilly has no proven skills at finishing like Dhoni. Opening and finishing are two completely different animals.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am not claiming that Dhoni isn't an ATG batsmen but there is nothing so stupid off if someone doesn't agree given Dhoni's away record and not-so-good ICC tournaments record(although a WC final knock makes up for me).

As a cricketer, there is no doubt about his greatness though. He has created a legacy in limited overs through his excellent tactical leadership qualities, finishing skills and smart keeping and also that hard running between the wickets.

Would have him among top 20 greatest odi cricketers of all time but dont think he can be argued to be considered to the top 5 greatest batsmen list and would just make it to top 10 greatest odi batsmen list.

Gob

International Coach
I am not claiming that Dhoni isn't an ATG batsmen but there is nothing so stupid off if someone doesn't agree given Dhoni's away record and not-so-good ICC tournaments record(although a WC final knock makes up for me).

As a cricketer, there is no doubt about his greatness though. He has created a legacy in limited overs through his excellent tactical leadership qualities, finishing skills and smart keeping and also that hard running between the wickets.

Would have him among top 20 greatest odi cricketers of all time but dont think he can be argued to be considered to the top 5 greatest batsmen list and would just make it to top 10 greatest odi batsmen list.
What is your top five?it better be as same as mine cos im never wrong

Kohli
AB
Viv
Sachin
Ponting

Red

Definitely not a toss up because Gilly has no proven skills at finishing like Dhoni. Opening and finishing are two completely different animals.
Did you even read my post?

Said it's a toss up between the two who would keep and bat top 6 in an ODI ATG XI.