• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is MS Dhoni an ATG OdI batsmen?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sanath + Dhoni >> Gilly + Bevan.
Considering I don't rate Bevan anywhere nearly as highly as some others, I'd agree.

However..

Gilchrist + Hussey/most other middle order batsmen >> Jayasuriya/Dhoni

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Considering I don't rate Bevan anywhere nearly as highly as some others, I'd agree.

However..

Gilchrist + Hussey/most other middle order batsmen >> Jayasuriya/Dhoni
Dear God. It's one thing to rate Gilchrist as a package better then Dhoni (personally I think you're wrong to do so) but then put Dhoni down so much by picking "most other middle order batsmen" over Dhoni as well is another thing whatsoever and clearly being blinkered to Dhoni's status.

srbhkshk

International Captain
It's perfectly okay to have Gilly coming in where Dhoni does. Question is, who would be better in that position? Not an easy one to answer.
Well that's an assumption, right? Mostly he played as an opener, of course he has everything he needs but that's not always enough.

Red

Dear God. It's one thing to rate Gilchrist as a package better then Dhoni (personally I think you're wrong to do so) but then put Dhoni down so much by picking "most other middle order batsmen" over Dhoni as well is another thing whatsoever and clearly being blinkered to Dhoni's status.
I wasn't putting Dhoni down at all. I rate him incredible highly. I just think as a package Gilchrist opening and keeping (and he is a better keeper than Dhoni) along with someone like Hussey (or you could even add Lara or Ponting down the order if you want), is better than Jayasuriya and Dhoni, and would get better results for the team.

That said, it's very close and I wont begrudge someone with the alternate opinion at all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I always liked the idea of this dream opening combo of Lara and Sachin. And it is not really cheating as Lara has had enough innings and enough of a sample size to know he can succeed in that position. And Gilly to me is basically not the same player if he is not opening. Ergo, even if I consider them equals (and I dont, I think MSD has gone better than Gilly as an ODI player), I will still go for Dhoni in the middle order.

srbhkshk

International Captain
S Tendulkar
S Jayasuriya
V Kohli
V Richards
AB DeVilliers
MS Dhoni
K Dev
I Khan (cos why not?)
G McGrath
W Akram
M Muralidharan

Can replace one of Dev or Khan, preferably Khan with Bevan as I have 6 bowlers and Tendulkar can get a few in if needed.

Last edited:

Red

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
Kohli
Richards
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
McGrath
Murali

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kapil's being insanely overrated on CW in ODIs recently tbh. His batting stats are Afridi-esque. Several better bowling all rounders available imo.