cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Best Looking Cricket Grounds

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    56,651

    Best Looking Cricket Grounds

    I'm sure we've had threads like this before but they won't be as good as this one because I didn't start them (that I can recall).

    Inspired by Dharmasala hosting a test match in the upcoming India-Australia series, post some pics here of the most picturesque cricket grounds you've either been to, seen on TV, in pictures or played on. They don't have to be FC venues, they can be from anywhere around the world.

    Brockton Park Vancouver




    Some joint in St Vincent



    Cape Town



    Some joint in Queenstown


    \
    And of course, the home of cricket itself

    zorax, vcs, Fred Tetanus and 3 others like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    16,844
    The Sheikh Zayed stadium in Abu Dhabhi is pretty great to look at - looks new-agey and sci-fi but somehow stil very old school and middle eastern, but doesn't have a very stunning backdrop




    There are two grounds in HK that I've played most of my cricket on that have really nice backdrops. But they're both multi-purpose sports grounds with astro turf pitches so they don't really count. Will post them up anyways cuz they pretty.

    Po Kong Village Road Park:


    HKUST Football Field
    Shri, vcs and indiaholic like this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

    The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

    iTunes
    SoundCloud

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

  3. #3
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    25,032
    Here's a good article from the guardian from a few years back ...

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/in...ricket-grounds


    Special mention for Pukekura Park, my personal favourite, such a great watching ground and played there in schoolboy comps way back when...


    vcs, Shri and indiaholic like this.

  4. #4
    School Boy/Girl Captain Fred Tetanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    The Sheikh Zayed stadium in Abu Dhabhi is pretty great to look at - looks new-agey and sci-fi but somehow stil very old school and middle eastern, but doesn't have a very stunning backdrop




    There are two grounds in HK that I've played most of my cricket on that have really nice backdrops. But they're both multi-purpose sports grounds with astro turf pitches so they don't really count. Will post them up anyways cuz they pretty.

    Po Kong Village Road Park:


    HKUST Football Field


    No offence but those two HK grounds are definitely NOT pretty at all. The BACKGROUND looks great but the grounds themselves are revolting IMO. If I had to play on the infield of an athletics track or on a field with football lines marked and a couple of goals at either end I would just about give the game away.

    Just my opinions of course and YMMV.
    indiaholic likes this.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    56,651
    Is that HKUST ground a cricket field too? This will sound particularly daft but do they cover the athletics track when they play cricket there? There must be some pills dropped int eh drink there.

  6. #6
    School Boy/Girl Captain Fred Tetanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Here's a good article from the guardian from a few years back ...

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/in...ricket-grounds


    Special mention for Pukekura Park, my personal favourite, such a great watching ground and played there in schoolboy comps way back when...




    Like this one. Has a great small town feel to it. Would enjoy playing or watching here for sure.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    56,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Tetanus View Post
    No offence but those two HK grounds are definitely NOT pretty at all. The BACKGROUND looks great but the grounds themselves are revolting IMO. If I had to play on the infield of an athletics track or on a field with football lines marked and a couple of goals at either end I would just about give the game away.

    Just my opinions of course and YMMV.
    Yeah but the setting can be pretty even though the ground is mediocre, just as you can have a **** setting and an amazing sports facility, like Melbourne.

    Brockton Park looks a pretty average ground in itself, but the setting is breath taking and that's what would make it a beautiful place to play.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CSK
    Posts
    20,343
    That is the Azad Maidan in Mumbai. 10+ games happen at the same time usually and 20+ games on the busiest days. Looks hideous but it is unique and interesting. Cricket is to India what football is to Brazil.

    1-0uHjgLR_hik8AGsbLNdDKA.jpeg
    Last edited by Shri; 21-02-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year Gnske's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dude. I need to get out of Seattle this weekend. This chick is all over my junk and I've got to get away
    Posts
    9,162
    Dead serious but, The Gabba. The pool deck changed everything this year.

  10. #10
    School Boy/Girl Captain Fred Tetanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah but the setting can be pretty even though the ground is mediocre, just as you can have a **** setting and an amazing sports facility, like Melbourne.

    Brockton Park looks a pretty average ground in itself, but the setting is breath taking and that's what would make it a beautiful place to play.


    Agree completely with all of that. IMO though when you're talking about best looking grounds as this topic is then you need to consider the whole package. I can't cop those HK grounds at all. As I said the background looks great but the grounds themselves are putrid. Almost vomit-inducing. I'd just about top myself if I had to play on them.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    56,651
    There's an scg xi tour of Hong Kong in the not too distant future. I wonder where they'll play. Those sorts of grounds would be something very different. From a touring pov it would be a fair experience imo.

    There was a ground in KL during the commonwealth games where Australia played and play was held up by a ****ing cobra on the ground. I don't remember the ground being overly pretty though.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    16,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Is that HKUST ground a cricket field too? This will sound particularly daft but do they cover the athletics track when they play cricket there? There must be some pills dropped int eh drink there.
    It's not an official ground used in any competitions. It's just used for friendly games featuring the HKUST team. They hold an informal University Sixes there too. I've played their quite a bit, and by any standards it's a stunning field. Played a lot of football there too. Great views at sunrise and sunset.

    The running tracks aren't covered, but the boundary stops there. They have barricades you place around the field that act as a fence. Runners are barred from using the track during cricket games - we once had someone who ignored those instructions and they got clocked in the head by the ball. Terrible stuff.


    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    There's an scg xi tour of Hong Kong in the not too distant future. I wonder where they'll play. Those sorts of grounds would be something very different. From a touring pov it would be a fair experience imo.
    They'll probably play on the 'proper' grounds - Mission Road (where all the recent International cricket has been hosted), the KCC and the HKCC. I cant imagine they'd play on any of the astroturf wickets.

  13. #13
    State Vice-Captain Kirkut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mumbai <--> Arlington, TX
    Posts
    1,253
    I like Lord's, but the vibe of that place appears to be too formal. MCG has a great view, feels like attending a big sporting event, but it can feel too intimidating at times.

    I loved the old Adelaide Oval, those reddish brown tiles on the roof, open spaces and the sight of the cathedral building far away. Not to forget that vintage scoreboard.

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    27,382
    Have a real soft spot for Galle. The Fort in the background lends such a unique look to it.



    vcs, S.Kennedy, Shri and 7 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

  15. #15
    International Regular S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,589
    I've not been to them all but Newlands has to be up there alongside Chesterfield, New Road, Taunton, Kensington Oval. Hove, Arundale and Scarborough are delightful seaside grounds. You have to include Lord's for the history - SCG also. Pity they built that awful media centre at Lord's which looks like Cherie Blair's mouth. Chester-Le-Street is lovely if you have the weather on your side. Adelaide looked lovely until they ruined it by building the modern crap. A lot of the Kiwi grounds look very scenic.

    PS

    In England, as a general rule, the out-grounds are lovelier than the main grounds (Scarborough, Arundale, Chesterfield).
    Last edited by S.Kennedy; 21-02-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    indiaholic likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best grounds to watch cricket
    By James90 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-01-2016, 09:11 PM
  2. Replies: 113
    Last Post: 20-04-2012, 04:17 AM
  3. Cricket Grounds...
    By Durham_CCC in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23-12-2008, 03:27 AM
  4. Bogie grounds and favourite grounds?
    By jonny1408 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 07:40 AM
  5. Most beautiful Cricket Grounds
    By Langeveldt in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 26-12-2005, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •