• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Howie Games

indiaholic

International Captain
And you can tell he is still not at peace with what happened during his rookie days. Some genuine anger there.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that story about Rod Marsh, especially. Bloke has never stopped being a ****.
I haven't listened to any of these but I must get around to it. Is that Marsh story the one that Cricket Legends touched on where Marsh grabbed Jones by the throat, pushed him up against the wall and said "If you don't score these runs don't bother coming back in this change room"??

Seriously what a dead set ****ed up culture. I fail to see how in any way and in any era that is the way to get the best out of a player.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't listened to any of these but I must get around to it. Is that Marsh story the one that Cricket Legends touched on where Marsh grabbed Jones by the throat, pushed him up against the wall and said "If you don't score these runs don't bother coming back in this change room"??

Seriously what a dead set ****ed up culture. I fail to see how in any way and in any era that is the way to get the best out of a player.
*grabs Adders by the throat*

If you don't stop posting ****, don't bother coming back to this forum.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I actually hadn't heard that one, amazing bloke Rod. This one was Dean's ODI debut, found a spot in the dressing-room, leaves his stuff to go do something, 6 minutes later he comes back and all his stuff was emptied, everything on the floor (in the toilet I think he said) and Marsh said something to him along the lines of "I worked my arse off for 20 years for that spot how dare you try and ****en take it".

Wouldn't blame him for being angry. And they called Pietersen the walking ego.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
*grabs Adders by the throat*

If you don't stop posting ****, don't bother coming back to this forum.
This is like the 4th or 5th time you've dropped a similar passive aggressive comment like that on me Smudge. If you have something to say to me come out and say it, otherwise just stfu.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
This is like the 4th or 5th time you've dropped a similar passive aggressive comment like that on me Smudge. If you have something to say to me come out and say it, otherwise just stfu.
Errr, it was a joke, based on the Dean Jones story in your own post? Untwist your panties, FFS.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well there is a recurring theme to your "jokes".........I've let the first three or four slide, but if you want to keep having a crack at me under the guise of humour I will call you on it.

And I don't wear panties ftr......freeballl ftw.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well there is a recurring theme to your "jokes".........I've let the first three or four slide, but if you want to keep having a crack at me under the guise of humour I will call you on it.

And I don't wear panties ftr......freeballl ftw.
To be honest, if I've had three or four similar cracks, I haven't even taken the poster into consideration. To paraphrase the late great Muhammad Ali, "I ain't got no quarrel with the Adders''.

As for the last line, I admire your balls-out approach.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fmd the thought of voltman and Richard sitting down having a beer is making my head explode.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
On a lighter note, I had listened to all but one of the cricketers amongst the Howie game interviews. That last one was Michael Clarke. Just listened to it and found it an exceptionaly boring hour of my life. Boring isn't something I normally associate with Pupand others may find it more appealing but I got sick of his book plugging and still watching what he says.

indiaholic

International Captain
Agree with TBP that Clarke's interview was exceptionally boring.. Just listened to half of Hodge's interview and it is soooo good. Interesting to hear about how he doesn't rate Buchanan, the lack of honesty from the selectors, the difficulty that young players find in settling into a team field of old blokes, why he thinks Sehwag is the greatest player he has seen play and how the IPL and other T20 teams aren't what they are made out to be because teams like the Kochi Tuskers still owe him 165k.. Players being afraid to speak out about this.. His wife threatening to walk out in lingerie for breakfast because Hodge used to go to breakfast in his boxers... All good..

indiaholic

International Captain
Gets even better from that point in.. He got his job as coach of Gujarat Lions by convincing the owners that he will create a flamboyant and entertaining side.. In the middle of the auction they inform Hodge that they won't be buying any more players.. Owners getting excited and raising the paddle for players they did not plan on just because they are big names.. how being friends with Hodge helped Finch find a place in the side.. The franchise owner motivating the players by narrating his own life story and Vijay Mallya wanting to buy Shane Watson even if they had to pay 4mn for him

burr

State Vice-Captain
The Adam Gilchrist one is good: The discussion of the 04 India tour is very interesting. The way they deliberately changed their mindset from being all about attack to focusing very much on being 'negative' and able to defend. I listened to this at the time of the SL tour last year and remember thinking if only this Aus team would take that on board. Glad to see they have :)

'Doesn't God watch Shield Cricket?' is also a brilliant sledge to Hayden (credit Bichel courtesy Gilly).