• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who were indisputably the best of their time

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs in the 1920s?
Hobbs pre WWI was actually well ahead of everyone else, though probably not as celebrated in his time. 2465 @ 57.32. Only people to outscore him since the start of test cricket were Hill and Trumper, both playing 40 more innings than him.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So there a semi-consensus on Bradman, Sobers, Grace, Gilchrist, Steyn & Lillee this far.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Not even Lara tbh. Tendulkar was pretty comfortably the best in that period. He was averaging mid-high 60s with everyone else, including Lara and Waugh a good 10-15 runs behind.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I did say: "I suppose." But I do think that the concensus was that Lillee was the undisputed best of that time.
Oh yes, certainly. Just pointing out that Lillee did not have a monopoly - Thomson, Willis and John Snow also.

vcs

Both formats taken into account, Sachin was the best. India didn't play enough Test cricket in that era TBH. Played too many dodgy Sharjah ODI tri-series instead.

Zinzan

Not even Lara tbh. Tendulkar was pretty comfortably the best in that period. He was averaging mid-high 60s with everyone else, including Lara and Waugh a good 10-15 runs behind.
Correct, Tendulkar's record is better in that period 93-2000 Burgey mentioned. Random period he chose because it kind of coincided with Sachin's best 7 year period.

Burgey

Both formats taken into account, Sachin was the best. India didn't play enough Test cricket in that era TBH. Played too many dodgy Sharjah ODI tri-series instead.
Was why I went for Waugh in that period. I saw Tendulkar's record and it's wonderful but I was shocked how few tests he played in that period in comparison.

Zinzan

Was why I went for Waugh in that period. I saw Tendulkar's record and it's wonderful but I was shocked how few tests he played in that period in comparison.
Hadn't noticed, decent difference that. You also have to breakdown the games by bowler. Some of Waugh's efforts in the Windies against Ambrose and Walsh on those up-and-down Caribbean decks were out of this world.

Kirkut

International Regular
Sachin in 90's was freakishly good when both formats are combined, easily ahead of Lara and Waugh - the other two top bats of that time. If only tests are considered then Lara wins comprehensively.

indiaholic

International Captain
Lol no. Tendulkar was averaging about 7 runs more than him and they had played the same number of games. If you prefer Lara, no complaints from me but nobody is comprehensively better than Tendulkar in that period.

OverratedSanity

People always get that wrong. Lara was much better than Sachin in the early-mid 2000s when BCL had a great run and Tendulkar was in a slump. But in the late 90s, Lara was a terrible slump of his own. Apart from that amazing 1999 series, he did ****all for a good 4-5 years. Here's his stats between 1996 and 2000:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

He barely averaged 40. That's really, really ordinary by his standards. Tendulkar was a long way ahead for that time period, really:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...6;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Same number of matches, averaged a full 20 runs more, double the amount of hundreds

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
SRT was not head and shoulders above Steve Waugh in the 90s. The fact of the matter is, SRT tended to do better and had many more games vs weaker attacks of the time: nz, ZIM, SL. Where as S Waugh was much much better vs the great attacks: RSA, WI, PAK.