• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing lexicon

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't know if it is possible but it would be great if there was a button on the site to switch between 'languages' when this project is complete.

Bijed

International Regular
haddin in cape town, noun

A reckless action taken without any regard for the circumstances.

"We were struggling to feed the children, so gambling our life savings on one race was a haddin in cape town."

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Botham noun

the foolhardy but persistent idea that any task can be completed by the consumption of alcohol and the exercise of masculine will without planning, preparation or practice.

After 8 cans of Stella he had this botham that he could climb Everest in only his shorts and flip flops.

Massie verb

to produce a bravura early effort in a field of endeavour and never touch such heights subsequently

Welles massied with Citizen Kane and by the end of his career he was doing voice overs for Carlsberg adverts

Salisbury noun

an item completely unfit for its intended purpose

"This ****ing bucket's a salisbury, it leaks in 4 places."

Bijed

International Regular
cowan, verb

To act very defensively.

"I struggle to form relationships - I have a tendency to cowan when someone asks me a personal question."

~

siddle, verb

To put one's entire heart into achieving a goal.

"I'll be so disappointed if I don't get top marks for my essay, I've really siddled for it."

Agent TBY

International Captain
blame the toss verb

to make excuses

"He blamed the toss for his three straight losses in Overwatch tonight."

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'll give it a whirl

slats, noun

an exclamation of unintelligible excitement for a stunning occurrence

"phwoahaoahaoahaoaharoreoaorahgh!!", Greg let out an almighty slats during his maiden parachute leap

viv, noun

a type of swagger and charisma that creates allure in the possessor

Carl sauntered in to the club with all the viv and chutzpah in the world, drawing glances from women in every corner of the room

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
i'll give it a whirl

slats, noun

an exclamation of unintelligible excitement for a stunning occurrence

"phwoahaoahaoahaoaharoreoaorahgh!!", Greg let out an almighty slats during his maiden parachute leap

viv, noun

a type of swagger and charisma that creates allure in the possessor

Carl sauntered in to the club with all the viv and chutzpah in the world, drawing glances from women in every corner of the room
Brilliant.

Bijed

International Regular
english tail, noun

Something irritating and difficult to get rid of.

"My kid brother's just started at the same school as me and keeps following me around when I'm trying to hang out with my mates. It was quite sweet at first, but now he's becoming a bit of an english tail."

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Doctor "Well young man I'm sorry to tell you that you have a rather severe case of the English Tail.........here's some antibiotics, no *** for at least 6 weeks and for the love of god next time please do wear a condom"

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Kerrigan, noun

The act of failing to perform in spectacular fashion when given an opportunity to do so.

"I studied for weeks and weeks, but come exam time I went and pulled a Kerrigan"

See also:

Kerrigan verb (used with object), kerriganned, kerrigan, kerriganning

"Mark worked on that presentation for months, and so it was disappointing that he went and kerriganned it up"
"I hope I get this job, my biggest fear right now is kerriganning my interview"
"It's always painful watching a performer kerrigan on stage like that"

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Botham noun

the foolhardy but persistent idea that any task can be completed by the consumption of alcohol and the exercise of masculine will without planning, preparation or practice.

After 8 cans of Stella he had this botham that he could climb Everest in only his shorts and flip flops.

Massie verb

to produce a bravura early effort in a field of endeavour and never touch such heights subsequently

Welles massied with Citizen Kane and by the end of his career he was doing voice overs for Carlsberg adverts

Salisbury noun

an item completely unfit for its intended purpose

"This ****ing bucket's a salisbury, it leaks in 4 places."

Genius. I am litterally in tears.

Bijed

International Regular
gilchrist, verb

To revolutionise how a role or task is performed.

"The advent of first the telegraph, then the computer and later the internet gilchristed the banking industry."

~

mcgrath, adjective

Incredibly accurate.

"Despite costing significantly more than the other options, the air force decided to purchase the GX-491 fighter jets as their targeting systems were mcgrath."

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dharmasena, noun

A person whose work requires constant review.

"This intern is only adding to my workload by being such a dharmasena"

Umpire's Call, verb

To be denied of ***ual intercourse

"Sarah was all over me last night before I was umpire's called by her friend."