• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonathon Trott's Book

91Jmay

International Coach
Can't wait to read it. Watching him scoring 80* on a dodgy pitch at Lords to win us the 50 over final this year was my favourite day of cricket, in part precisely because of Trotty and what he has come through.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The **** grabbed Riaz by the throat during training. Typical bull**** by English ****s not facing consequences for ****. **** him.

91Jmay

International Coach
Oh **** off. Trott/Riaz have no issues with each other. Trott said some ****, Riaz went at him. Was nothing and was aired out and finished straight away.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He always seemed very intense to me. Someone who put a lot of pressure on himself and worked very hard. Think he could have done with some lightening up, but that's just an outside perception.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jonathan ffs.

Does sound interesting though. Vaughan giving him a spray for it sounds like another plus point.

(I'm guessing the journo with the byline is the ghostwriter of the book?)

Edit: Nope. Dobell.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
He always seemed very intense to me. Someone who put a lot of pressure on himself and worked very hard. Think he could have done with some lightening up, but that's just an outside perception.
That intensity you're talking about seems a thing most common in South Africans.

Look forward to reading this one though. In his prime he was so great to watch.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He wrote a pretty poignant little piece on cricinfo recently too

there was no point wasting it on me at that stage. "Nah, I'm out of here," I said.

As I walked off, a group of Barmy Army supporters at the same end as the dressing rooms stood and gave me a warm ovation that was as appreciated as it was surprising for a man walking off having played his last innings of an unsuccessful tour. But they knew it was over and they were, I reasoned, taking the opportunity to say goodbye and thanks. I couldn't raise my bat - I had only scored 9, after all, and England were in a hole - but I gave them a little wave.

I'll forever be grateful for their gesture. They proved, in that moment, that they were true supporters; not fairweather types who were only there for the good times.

They also proved they had a memory. They remembered the times before I became a stuttering wreck; the times before I wandered towards mid-off before each ball was delivered; the times the only thing people could find to complain about was the manner in which I marked my guard and the time it took us to win Tests.
Damn

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Vaughan had a go at Trott in his book too - and Trott had played one Test at that point - so there's a longer-running issue at play here for mine

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sure, but in isolation, Trott was absolutely right to say that Vaughan's article about him was rubbish. It was inappropriate at best, and extremely offensive at worst.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
michael vaughan is the worst **** in english cricket.

i've never known a mans stock to fall so drastically post retirement. nothing but a matey matey, lad banter wanker of the highest order.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sure, but in isolation, Trott was absolutely right to say that Vaughan's article about him was rubbish. It was inappropriate at best, and extremely offensive at worst.
Where did I disagree with any of that you ****ing Donald Trump lover

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaughan is bitter and twisted because he hasn't had a decent gig since he left the game - must be pretty thick too if he can't work out that the reason for that is that he needs elocution lessons

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vaughan had a go at Trott in his book too - and Trott had played one Test at that point - so there's a longer-running issue at play here for mine
In retrospect Trott's international debut in T20 looks even odder than it did at the time. Selecting a chap in the format least suited to his (admirably old school) MO kinda smacks of deliberately hanging a chap out to dry to give a convenient excuse to overlook him thereafter.

It was only after the mother of all paddlings in the fourth test in 2009 and Ravi having scored about half a run all series that forced Team England's hand.

Or maybe I'm just reaching for a conspiracy theory where there's none because Vaughan has metamorphosed into a prickishly embittered Tyke (albeit a feyer version than the archetype) all too rapidly after retirement.

Howe_zat

Audio File
In retrospect Trott's international debut in T20 looks even odder than it did at the time. Selecting a chap in the format least suited to his (admirably old school) MO kinda smacks of deliberately hanging a chap out to dry to give a convenient excuse to overlook him thereafter.

It was only after the mother of all paddlings in the fourth test in 2009 and Ravi having scored about half a run all series that forced Team England's hand.

Or maybe I'm just reaching for a conspiracy theory where there's none because Vaughan has metamorphosed into a prickishly embittered Tyke (albeit a feyer version than the archetype) all too rapidly after retirement.
He was a much better limited overs player than FC player in the mid 2000s, at that time I'm pretty sure he was picked in his best format. Arguably was during his peak run in the England side given how consistent he was as an ODI 3.

By 2009 he'd dramatically improved his FC record so was probably picked at about the right time.