• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The costliest drops and misfields of all time

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
has to be Gibbs in '99. Not only would SA have almost certainly won that much, they would have definitely vsed an easier team in the semis (It'd have been Zimbabwe if Australia didn't make it) and would have likely won the whole thing that year they were red hot and Klusener was in mad touch

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trying to think of misfields, maybe the Big Bash final when Brett Lee fumbled an easy run out that would have tied the game. I know no one cares about T20 but it's all i could think of.

And yeah basically every triple century (and most doubles) had multiple drops in them

Gilchrist dropping Tendulkar in Sydney on like 30, 200+ runs later.
game was a draw anyway. Depends on your definition of "costly". The way I read the OP was in terms of influencing the result.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Trying to think of misfields, maybe the Big Bash final when Brett Lee fumbled an easy run out that would have tied the game. I know no one cares about T20 but it's all i could think of.

And yeah basically every triple century (and most doubles) had multiple drops in them

game was a draw anyway. Depends on your definition of "costly". The way I read the OP was in terms of influencing the result.
You talking about 2016? It was Henriquez that fumbled.

OverratedSanity

has to be Gibbs in '99. Not only would SA have almost certainly won that much, they would have definitely vsed an easier team in the semis (It'd have been Zimbabwe if Australia didn't make it) and would have likely won the whole thing that year they were red hot and Klusener was in mad touch
Let's be honest they would've found some way to **** everything up anyway.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Mohammad Amir dropping Ponting at fine leg off a hook shot early in his innings. Ponting makes 206 iirc, and the innings arguably saves his career.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Thorpe dropping Elliott at Headingley in 1997. England hadn't made many, but Aus were set to make even fewer. Instead, Elliott went on to make a huge hundred (or was it a double) and give his side a massive lead which gave them a 2-1 lead in the series.

Spikey

when they put like that, there's absolutely no way it's Gibbs over Warne dropping KP

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag should have some entries in this one. Not sure which one but he punished opposition several times after being dropped early.

kingkallis

International Coach
Thorpe dropping Elliott at Headingley in 1997. England hadn't made many, but Aus were set to make even fewer. Instead, Elliott went on to make a huge hundred (or was it a double) and give his side a massive lead which gave them a 2-1 lead in the series.
YES! An edge flew to Thorpe off Smith and he dropped it. It could have been Smith's 1st wicket as well.

Compton

International Debutant
Haddin dropping Root first test at Cardiff.

Catch that and it could have been a series changer.