• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People actually get upset at this sort of thing?

I saw who the panel picking it was and switched off straight away.

Slifer

International Captain
I do think that Kohli is class though and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't eventually end up averaging over 50. Is he up there with the other 3? Maybe or maybe not atm but he will be there in no time IMO. The dude can bat.

Burgey

Kohli over Williamson in that XI is pure blasphemy.

Nah, Williamson will play on average four tests per yes over his career and end up being regarded as a lesser player than his contemporaries. Sorry, but it's true. Not his fault, but it will happen.

Rate him very highly, especially in tests. He's a classical player of the highest order.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
i don't care for virat kohli but it's hard to get worked up about a team compiled by a bunch of old english blokes.

world elevens without dale steyn dont count, so i don't think small country syndrome is needed here.
It was picked by Warne, Raja and Atherton.

91Jmay

International Coach
Neither Ponting nor Kallis were great test batsmen in the 90s so if they can get selected in a 90s XI, why not Kohli? The point being neither of these people are particularly well informed about current cricket, they watch barely a handful of games involving the big teams and don't really follow anything outside of that. Herath and Steyn missing out and Starc getting picked on the day he took 11 wickets is a testament to that.

[

Since 2014, KW averages 73, YK averages 57. Both Azhar Ali and Hafeez average higher than Cook in the same period and in far less number of games, Hafeez as as many hundreds and Azhar has more.

Picking AB as a keeper is kinda cheating but I sort of understand that selection. But if anything, Sanga should have been selected as WK batsman ahead of AB.

But bottom line is that this team should not be taken that seriously. And here's the thing about Kohli though. I believe he is a great batsmen and his test average doesn't bother me that much. It's only a matter of time before he gets it up there. And he is also not a lesser batsman than KW, Root and Smith. But if we are picking a current Test XI, there is no way he gets number 4 ahead of YK or KW today.
You are not seriously suggesting Hafeez should be in a World XI ahead of Cook are you? You didn't actually just compare those two? Hafeez shouldn't play for Pakistan abroad, let alone a World XI.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Nah, Williamson will play on average four tests per yes over his career and end up being regarded as a lesser player than his contemporaries. Sorry, but it's true. Not his fault, but it will happen.

Rate him very highly, especially in tests. He's a classical player of the highest order.
Been averaging almost 10 tests a year the last five years.

Howsie

International Captain
Overreaction considering the panel included Warne and Rameez
I didn't start the thread based solely on this panel and its thoughts, it was just a good example of how overrated Kohli is and like I said I'm done with it. He's not a top 10 test batsman and yet he's treated like he's the top dog, or one of anyway.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man, I love KW and I think it is a travesty that he is not recognized for what he is in such lists - one of the best batsmen going around today, period. But threads like this really make me wanna sorta hate him... There are bigger travesties in those very sides chosen than just KW and yet we are waahhhing about him, really?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its more like why not just enjoy that we have young batsmen the quality of KW, Twatty Smith, Root and Kohli all together at once. Kohli being rated in that group despite him not averaging as much because he was poop in his first couple of series is such a random thing to be negative about.

Burgey

Its more like why not just enjoy that we have young batsmen the quality of KW, Twatty Smith, Root and Kohli all together at once. Kohli being rated in that group despite him not averaging as much because he was poop in his first couple of series is such a random thing to be negative about.
Wasn't he poop on a recent tour of England?

Howsie

International Captain
All four of them stuggled early doors, some more than others. The difference between the big three (as I'll call them now) and Kohli is that they have all gone on great runs and smashed big scores, they've been excellent. Kohli merely good. Hence why Kohli still averages 40 something and the big three all 50 plus.

vcs

All four of them stuggled early doors, some more than others. The difference between the big three (as I'll call them now) and Kohli is that they have all gone on great runs and smashed big scores, they've been excellent. Kohli merely good. Hence why Kohli still averages 40 something and the big three all 50 plus.
Virat Kohli's average after 74 innings : 46.25 with 12 100s, 12 50s
Kane Williamson's average after 75 innings : 45.70 with 10 100s, 15 50s

Clearly not in the same league.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, those XIs aren't great...but given CH9s current World XI this summer will probably feature Steve O'Keefe, Moises Henriques and Pete Nevill, we shouldn't complain too much.

Last edited: